Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
You can see the penalty that got Greig ejected from the game here.
WHL Network

I saw some comments on twitter about how egregious it was but after seeing it I think a lot of people are overreacting. The Wheat Kings dump the puck in and chase after it. Greig and his left winger are in on the forecheck and both Warriors d have inside position. The one d man heads to the corner with the Wheat Kings winger right on him and the other Warriors d heads in to grab the puck along the boards. As the d goes for the puck Greig crosschecks him in his lowerback which tosses him head first into the boards.

Sure it is a penalty and it is dangerous but I do think the reaction is exaggerated. With added context I don't see it as that problematic. Greig just spent the last stretch of games and few months practicing and playing against grown men in the AHL. He is only 18 years old so he is going to have to try harder to have any physical impact on them. Any AHL d man in that same situation would expect to get him and brace themselves. I don't think Greig pushed this d man that hard, it looked like the kind of crosscheck to punish the d man for trying to go for the puck and to try to force a turnover.

Certainly Greig should be more careful but I do think that d man should have anticipated that he would get hit and braced himself given how close the forecheckers were.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What a amazing and terrible year he’s had. Season cancelled, caught Covid, invited to Team Canada Camp, Cut from Team Canada, AHL and high praise, game 1 WHL Buh-bey.

Can’t wait for this kid to play in Toronto and Montreal

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
WHL Network

I saw some comments on twitter about how egregious it was but after seeing it I think a lot of people are overreacting. The Wheat Kings dump the puck in and chase after it. Greig and his left winger are in on the forecheck and both Warriors d have inside position. The one d man heads to the corner with the Wheat Kings winger right on him and the other Warriors d heads in to grab the puck along the boards. As the d goes for the puck Greig crosschecks him in his lowerback which tosses him head first into the boards.

Sure it is a penalty and it is dangerous but I do think the reaction is exaggerated. With added context I don't see it as that problematic. Greig just spent the last stretch of games and few months practicing and playing against grown men in the AHL. He is only 18 years old so he is going to have to try harder to have any physical impact on them. Any AHL d man in that same situation would expect to get him and brace themselves. I don't think Greig pushed this d man that hard, it looked like the kind of crosscheck to punish the d man for trying to go for the puck and to try to force a turnover.

Certainly Greig should be more careful but I do think that d man should have anticipated that he would get hit and braced himself given how close the forecheckers were.

Yeah that’s a tough game misconduct call.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
WHL Network

Thanks. Watched it. Agree..it wasn’t that bad. A little crosscheck in the back a few feet from the boards.
Penalty but that’s it.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Here's the hit. Thats a dangerous area of the ice. I like his edge, I hate this hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens72

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Here's the hit. Thats a dangerous area of the ice. I like his edge, I hate this hit.

Love the message he sent: if you're gonna be first to the puck, you're gonna be first to the hospital. Bet you that team never won a puck battle after that play.

R2010

May 23, 2011

It's a 5-minute major. Nothing more or less to me. They don't call them that way in the NHL but they should. Somehow hits like that get let off the hook meanwhile we're microanalyzing shoulder to chest vs head.

Reactions: Icelevel

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
WHL Network

He was looking really effective in the AHL, makes complete sense that his physicality might be a little overboard for the junior level now.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Thanks. Watched it. Agree..it wasn’t that bad. A little crosscheck in the back a few feet from the boards.
Penalty but that’s it.

It was stupid dirty. Didn't you see what happened to JBD? Wreckless play to make in that part of the ice.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It was stupid dirty. Didn't you see what happened to JBD? Wreckless play to make in that part of the ice.
They weren't moving very fast, he didn't shove him that hard, the guy should be aware he's got a guy on him. He was coasting not paying attention and went over easy. Penalty
Game misconduct? ok, can't hurt i guess. Good message. I see the argument for 5mins only.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Did Greig really crosscheck the D hard enough for him to crumple like that?

He wasn't launched forward by the crosscheck either.

Not condoning it, but I feel there is a bit of a sell job there.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Love the message he sent: if you're gonna be first to the puck, you're gonna be first to the hospital. Bet you that team never won a puck battle after that play.
What the hell are you on about? He took a 5 minute major in which his team gave up 2 goals and his team lost 4-3 in overtime. He literally single handedly lost the game.

It's a horrible hit. People who defend this shit are disgusting. Love that the guy has an edge but I have no desire to see kids getting hurt out there because of shear stupidity.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

This is a terrible take. Play physical for sure but intent to injure isn't a thing anymore...

And MJ scored twice on the major penalty while winning may races to the puck.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Did Greig really crosscheck the D hard enough for him to crumple like that?

He wasn't launched forward by the crosscheck either.

Not condoning it, but I feel there is a bit of a sell job there.

Doesn't take much to lose your balance. Especially from an unsuspected cross-check

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
How are there people here defending this hit? If this happened against Stützle we would be losing our shit. It’s dirty and shouldn’t happen.
Who is defending the hit? My post seems like the only one that could be interpreted that way and if you are interpreting it that way then you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I am defending Greig and criticizing some of the reactions I saw on twitter. In this game it is a penalty and a game misconduct and that is the appropriate call. I don't find Greig's actions to be as malicious as some on here suggest. He had spent the last ew months practicing and playing in the AHL against grown men. AHL d men would have anticipated getting hit and braced themselves if they were trying to retrieve a puck and had two forecheckers that close to them. The crosscheck that Greig threw didn't seem that hard relatively speaking and in my opinion it wouldn't be that dangerous if thrown against a grown man who was bracing themselves for contact. This is Greig's first game back in the WHL. WHL players are weaker and may not brace themselves for contact when they likely should. This d man made that mistake of not preparing himself for contact and unfortunately Greig made a poor decision where he hit a player that was vulnerable. Greig made a lapse in judgment where he should have just pinned the d man into the boards.

Situations like this are difficult. Brian Burke talked about it recently where he mentioned that he prefers when players bear hug the player when driving them into the boards to protect them from getting hurt. That the refs might need to be a bit more lenient on holding calls in those situations to protect the player.

When I heard the reactions on twitter I was expecting something far more violent and malicious. We see boarding calls all the time in various leagues and some of the hits are really bad. When I saw this it seemed far less dirty than what I was expecting. That is why I offered my assessment and tried to provide some context as to why this situation occurred. I also thought it was worthwhile to defend Greig as this could be a mistake on his behalf rather than malicious intent.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
This is a terrible take. Play physical for sure but intent to injure isn't a thing anymore...

And MJ scored twice on the major penalty while winning may races to the puck.
Really doubt he was trying to injure him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad