Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Honestly I wish we could keep him in the AHL for the season. Seems like a perfect fit.

The NHL-CHL Transfer Agreement is up for re-negotiation this summer and I think we're going to see a much stronger push from NHL clubs to allow for some U-20's to play in the AHL.

This season has been like a 'proof-of-concept' experiment and the results are bad for the CHL. Guys like Drysdale and Jarvis have been torching the AHL, and some others like Perfetti and Byfield would clearly be better off developing in a pro league below the NHL.

I think we're going to see a change that allows each NHL team to put one U-20 CHL player in the AHL. They'll just have to grease the wheels with some more money.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The NHL-CHL Transfer Agreement is up for re-negotiation this summer and I think we're going to see a much stronger push from NHL clubs to allow for some U-20's to play in the AHL.

This season has been like a 'proof-of-concept' experiment and the results are bad for the CHL. Guys like Drysdale and Jarvis have been torching the AHL, and some others like Perfetti and Byfield would clearly be better off developing in a pro league below the NHL.

I think we're going to see a change that allows each NHL team to put one U-20 CHL player in the AHL. They'll just have to grease the wheels with some more money.

I hope it happens.

Its already broken as it is with Euros and NCAA players being allowed it. The CHL will survive fine without it, and theres no reason to see so many players stuck in limbo with this current agreements rule set. Theres no reason why the players cant go back down if the AHL isnt working out for them.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

CHL isn’t going to go for it, will take a lot of greasing.

The 18 and 19 year olds are the gate drivers in a gate based league where teams make decisions on going for it 2-3 years prior based on what 16-17, and draft picks they have.

It’s always been known that the NHL drafted top prospects would be able to thrive in the AHL, that’s been seen every single year when they go to the AHL for the end of the season and playoffs.

CHL is staunchly against it, will take a gigantic movement from their position for it to change.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I don't see it, would kill the CHL. The NHL needs that league to thrive, it's already going to have a hard enough time rebounding from Covid. It doesn't make any sense from the business side.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I don't see it, would kill the CHL. The NHL needs that league to thrive, it's already going to have a hard enough time rebounding from Covid. It doesn't make any sense from the business side.

The only way i could see it is if the NHL somehow owned the CH like as if they bought the entire league. That’s not gonna happen of course but it would give maximum development control for NHL teams.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
On March 1st Brandon Wheat Kings announced their roster, Grieg is on the list, his team will be in a bubble with all of the teams in Manitoba and Saskatchewan forming the eastern division of the WHL. They will all play their games at the Brandt Centre in Regina, commencing March 12th.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
On March 1st Brandon Wheat Kings announced their roster, Grieg is on the list, his team will be in a bubble with all of the teams in Manitoba and Saskatchewan forming the eastern division of the WHL. They will all play their games at the Brandt Centre in Regina, commencing March 12th.

Would have liked Ottawa to bring him up for a cup of coffee before he goes back

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Damn. Too bad. Would have liked to see him play a bit more. I hear CHL has a new streaming service.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Troy Mann: re greig.."he is the real deal"
Just needs to work on his shot and get stronger. Should be an ottawa senator for a long time, says coach.
Love reading this. Crossing my fingers for another solid piece here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Troy Mann: re greig.."he is the real deal"
Just needs to work on his shot and get stronger. Should be an ottawa senator for a long time, says coach.
Great to hear, going to get crowded fast with Norris, White, Pinto, and Grieg, particularly if L.Brown can break through and Stützle moves to Center.

Kid is really young so lots of time to get bigger and stronger, kind of weird though, Just now heading over to the W and in a typical year, we are 3 months away from next seasons dev camp...

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Great to hear, going to get crowded fast with Norris, White, Pinto, and Grieg, particularly if L.Brown can break through and Stützle moves to Center.

Kid is really young so lots of time to get bigger and stronger, kind of weird though, Just now heading over to the W and in a typical year, we are 3 months away from next seasons dev camp...
Of all the times that Mann has been on, I can't recall him being wrong on anyone? As far as his assessment

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Of all the times that Mann has been on, I can't recall him being wrong on anyone? As far as his assessment
Idk, i think he said he innitially though Norris would be a 3rd liner but ast the season progressed he re-evaluated

Reactions: coladin

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Money fixes pretty much everything. A transfer fee between non-NHL leagues and NHL teams could work. Maybe a team would rather have their recent high draft pick in the AHL than the CHL, why not a $500,000 transfer fee? The bulk of the money could go to the team transferring out the player and the rest could be added to a pool to be divided among the other teams.

European football leagues have mastered the transfer fee and it's arguably a much more reasonable compensation mechanism for the developing teams that do well to draft and develop younger players.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Idk, i think he said he innitially though Norris would be a 3rd liner but ast the season progressed he re-evaluated

I could be wrong, but I thought his initial impression of Norris immediately after the Karlsson trade was a 3rd line center, but that was in the offseason. I think he changed his tune at training camp after he some live viewings.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

He'll play wing if he makes it to the big club. No way he projects to be a C.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Money fixes pretty much everything. A transfer fee between non-NHL leagues and NHL teams could work. Maybe a team would rather have their recent high draft pick in the AHL than the CHL, why not a $500,000 transfer fee? The bulk of the money could go to the team transferring out the player and the rest could be added to a pool to be divided among the other teams.

European football leagues have mastered the transfer fee and it's arguably a much more reasonable compensation mechanism for the developing teams that do well to draft and develop younger players.

So 500k if you want him in the AHL but if you want him in the NHL right now what's the transfer fee? I think it's nothing right now.

I saw an article that the CHL transfer agreement is having a decernable impact on the development of CHL players compared to their european peers, and the deeper in the draft you go the worse it gets.

I think the NHL is typically putting about 35 mil a year in transfer fees into european leagues, so your probably looking at around 50 mil a year to do a similar deal with the CHL?

The problem i see is just about every draft pick would want to transfer ASAP because they're going from playing for free to getting 70k a year as an 18 year old. Might create some animosity with kids that are on that fringe.

Idk the current system is not ideal so i am open to ideas, injecting money into the CHL might do it some good,

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I could be wrong, but I thought his initial impression of Norris immediately after the Karlsson trade was a 3rd line center, but that was in the offseason. I think he changed his tune at training camp after he some live viewings.
could be, i don't recall the exact timing of the comment, i believe it might have been something he said after the fact too

Reactions: God Flower

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
So 500k if you want him in the AHL but if you want him in the NHL right now what's the transfer fee? I think it's nothing right now.

I saw an article that the CHL transfer agreement is having a decernable impact on the development of CHL players compared to their european peers, and the deeper in the draft you go the worse it gets.

I think the NHL is typically putting about 35 mil a year in transfer fees into european leagues, so your probably looking at around 50 mil a year to do a similar deal with the CHL?

The problem i see is just about every draft pick would want to transfer ASAP because they're going from playing for free to getting 70k a year as an 18 year old. Might create some animosity with kids that are on that fringe.

Idk the current system is not ideal so i am open to ideas, injecting money into the CHL might do it some good,
It's a system that would be designed to fill the gap between "prospect is drafted and goes straight to the NHL" vs "prospect is drafted, doesn't make the NHL and the only alternative is back to his team".

This might get into contract law territory because obviously there's an agreement in place for a draft to be held rather than teams jockeying to sign young prospects like free agents.

I'm assuming the idea currently is that if a player under a certain age can't play f/t in the NHL that it's monetarily beneficial to his junior team for him to come back as it gives them more financial incentive, via gate revenues, to continue developing players like him. So, just make it a cash transaction and let teams develop their assets according to their own development philosophy.

I don't know about every player necessarily falling under this category but it could be something that teams negotiate with the junior teams these players are drafted from. Maybe a top 3 pick is worth $500k in transfer fee but a third round pick is only worth $100k? Something like that.

But it is a weird grey zone where two teams technically own the rights to a player at the same time and both entities have financial incentives involved. If it's about money, let's make it about money and move on from the weird technicalities that keep certain players in junior because they're under a certain age.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's a system that would be designed to fill the gap between "prospect is drafted and goes straight to the NHL" vs "prospect is drafted, doesn't make the NHL and the only alternative is back to his team".

This might get into contract law territory because obviously there's an agreement in place for a draft to be held rather than teams jockeying to sign young prospects like free agents.

I'm assuming the idea currently is that if a player under a certain age can't play f/t in the NHL that it's monetarily beneficial to his junior team for him to come back as it gives them more financial incentive, via gate revenues, to continue developing players like him. So, just make it a cash transaction and let teams develop their assets according to their own development philosophy.

I don't know about every player necessarily falling under this category but it could be something that teams negotiate with the junior teams these players are drafted from. Maybe a top 3 pick is worth $500k in transfer fee but a third round pick is only worth $100k? Something like that.

But it is a weird grey zone where two teams technically own the rights to a player at the same time and both entities have financial incentives involved. If it's about money, let's make it about money and move on from the weird technicalities that keep certain players in junior because they're under a certain age.
Teams decide on when they will go on runs 3 years prior to going on them, and they tank for high draft picks these years and then make their runs with these guys, which lasts for only a season, with these players. I know for a fact CHL teams will fight with everything they have to keep the guys under 20 not in the NHL in the CHL. Deciding to rebuild and doing bad for 3 years, and then in your run year you get 2/3 of your guys swiped into the AHL? Teams will be fighting that, and it’s a concession that is not likely to change.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad