Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Imagine he becomes a Marchand type. If his offensive upside ends up anywhere near that then that would be amazing for us.

If he’s half of Marchand then that’s a 40-50 point all around heart and soul, gritty beast. That alone is big win for late pick; especially since it was used by Pageau’s 1st. I’m def excited to keep tabs on him next couple years.

Reactions: cudi

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If he could develop into a Kadri-type player that would be amazing.

I'm not sold on his skill level being quite as high, but it's worth noting that Kadri actually had worse production in the same development years as Greig.

He got drafted 7th OVR because he was a late birthday and took a big step forward in his 18YR old season.

Hopefully Greig can explode offensively in a similar way this season.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
If he’s half of Marchand then that’s a 40-50 point all around heart and soul, gritty beast. That alone is big win for late pick; especially since it was used by Pageau’s 1st. I’m def excited to keep tabs on him next couple years.
For the record Marchand's draft year stats were:
2005-2006 QMJHL 68 GP 29 G 37 A 66 PTS

Greig's draft year stats were:
2019-2020 WHL 56 GP 26 G 34 A 60 PTS

I guess we will see but so far Greig looks like he has pretty good offensive upside. The fact that he has widely been considered the best player for the B Sens in the first few AHL games and he has produced offense is a really good sign.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
If he could develop into a Kadri-type player that would be amazing.

I'm not sold on his skill level being quite as high, but it's worth noting that Kadri actually had worse production in the same development years as Greig.

He got drafted 7th OVR because he was a late birthday and took a big step forward in his 18YR old season.

Hopefully Greig can explode offensively in a similar way this season.
It is worth noting that Greig hasn't had a ton of talent to play with. It will be interesting to see how much that has impacted his production. There doesn't appear to be much talent on his WHL team this season either so his production will likely reflect how talented he is. He will be relied on heavily to drive his teams offense.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Having read through basically all of the draft guides from 2017-2020, I realize that even the best are hit and miss on projections and often get players dead wrong. Pinto was virtually overlooked by every publication and his offensive talents were greatly undervalued

With Greig, HockeyProspects and Grant McCagg were extremely high on him, rating him 14th and 18th respectively. Hockeyprospects had Greig rated 8/9 hockey sense, 7/9, skating, and 7/9 skill, which which tied guys like Byfield(rated a six in hockey sense) and Quinn across those categories. Greig also scored a prefect 9/9 in compete. The point is that, unlike a guy like Lazar, he has hockey sense to go along with compete. His anticipation and awareness are pretty high-end.

If he is able to fill out and get stronger, he might be that steal that help push organization forward.

Another guy both publications were out front of was Seth Jarvis (who the Sens also really liked), who has been amazing thus far in the AHL.

Great post, thanks

Man before the Isles woke-up in covid playoffs, they were looking like they were drifting away. We realistically could have drafted Jarvis. But hey if Greig ends up very good as well, then we can live with it

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Greig is way more talented then Marchand. Usually coaches really pissed, when the points producing players are wasting themselves with penalty minutes. I believe Greig will develop in something special and memorable . I predict his potential is up to 80 points per season. And you will see him in a few years as a team Canada player on a third line.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Greig is way more talented then Marchand. Usually coaches really pissed, when the points producing players are wasting themselves with penalty minutes. I believe Greig will develop in something special and memorable . I predict his potential is up to 80 points per season. And you will see him in a few years as a team Canada player on a third line.

"more talented than Marchand" and goes on to predict he puts up less points lol.

I think this is another way out there evaluation, but I enjoy reading them.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
"more talented than Marchand" and goes on to predict he puts up less points lol.

I think this is another way out there evaluation, but I enjoy reading them.

Ok 100 points will satisfy you? I still think he will be a better player.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The only way i would agree is if you're a bad speller and got cut off mid-sentence while typing:

"Ridly Greig will be better than Brad Marshand...some other player"

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I dont like hyping late round picks up but I do believe kid has a brad marchand level ceiling.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
f2ec48985eeba47a14b85a671a6b04fc.jpg

The Riddler was my favourite Batman Villain. Hopefully Greig can wreak havoc in Gotham City one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad