Reimer to Request Trade in Summer?

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Jesus, do you people even watch games?

He's played like a number 1 at times this season, started the season off so well, and is currently struggling largely because of confidence - he's lost confidence in himself and knows his coach doesn't trust him.

We've seen what a confident and in-form Reimer can do. That's not only NHL #1 goalie level performance, but very good NHL #1 goalie level performance.

Not only will he get another shot somewhere, but he will become a firmly established number 1.

Some people talk as if this guy is the second coming of Jonas ****ing Gustavsson.
Reimer played like a number 1 in October. Since then, he's been very underwhelming

Reimer

October = (6GP , 6GS) 4-0-0 , 1.99 GAA , .949 SV%
November = (6GP , 6GS) 2-3-1 , 3.03 GAA , .916 SV%
December = (6GP , 6 GS) 2-2-0 , 3.38 GAA , .909 SV%
January = (6GP , 4 GS) 2-1-0 , 4.68 GAA , .865 SV%
March = (6GP , 5 GS) 1-5-0 , 3.41 GAA , 907 SV%
Entire season 11-11-1 9.10 SV% 3.29 GAA

Apart from October, those are hardly #1 numbers. I love Reimer, but Bernier and him play in front of the same team yet some how people want to completely ignore that and try to make up any reason for Reimer failing to regain his form. Can't say none of the goals are his fault because they go in

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Jesus, do you people even watch games?

He's played like a number 1 at times this season, started the season off so well, and is currently struggling largely because of confidence - he's lost confidence in himself and knows his coach doesn't trust him.

We've seen what a confident and in-form Reimer can do. That's not only NHL #1 goalie level performance, but very good NHL #1 goalie level performance.

Not only will he get another shot somewhere, but he will become a firmly established number 1.

Some people talk as if this guy is the second coming of Jonas ****ing Gustavsson.

Can't let in 3-4 goals a game and expect the coach to trust you when you're fighting for the starting job. Ask the oilers how 3-4 goal deficits turn out.

In the beginning of the year, both bernier and reimer had chances to take the reigns and run with it. Reimer had his share and honestly, both bernier and reimer had their struggles.

BUT Bernier does look steadier in net and his rebound control is tidy. Reimer makes stellar saves but can't quite seem to make the key save or sometimes there's ones that he should have saved. Let's out big rebounds or can't stop the play when his team needs a break.

Bernier also had his "moments" where he lets in a poor one but seems to rebound after the game. That can't be said about reimer.

I really wished for a 1a/1b tandum as well like halak/elliot but reimer hasn't done his part.

Our defense has issues but he's part the last line of "defense" in a game.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
LOL at the people saying Bernier plays in front of a different team. This whole team has had "wtf" moments with both goalies, yet Bernier's #'s show that he's actually a #1 while Reimer is struggling. I wonder why? haha. I like Reimer but the writing has been on the wall since the Bernier trade, eventually he was going to get traded. Everyone who is upset should give their heads a shake. Reimer was never going to be here long term with Bernier here. Let's move him in the summer and get on with this. It doesn't need to be such a big issue. He's just a goalie, move him get an asset, and embrace Bernier because it is his team.

One issue I have, is Reimer kind of pouting off lately about this. I know he may be frustrated but he was never entitled to the #1 job, so him kind of whining a bit is kind of surprising.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Toronto fans have a history of overrating their goalie and goes back to Potvin and Joseph. Reimer is a great guy and had a solid year last year but I'm not even sure that he's a starting goalie in the NHL. I would be hard pressed to say he's even better than Scrivens. I don't think he is.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Just to go by the #s Bernier has a .925 SV% which is 6th in the NHL and he's faced the 3rd most shots in the league. It's not even close to who the better goalie is. Bernier has been amazing in his full season as a #1

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
I am no Reimer fan. I always stated I preferred Scrivens.
But I do believe Reimer is getting an unfair reaction.
Now while I was and am ecstatic about getting Bernier and Perfer him over Reimer.
I wonder what people would say if next year Bernier has a bad season as no one is perfect. Would Bernier be the next of a long.. long.. long.. line of players fans turn on very quickly.

This team is a defensive nightmare.

The coach has to go. No matter the out come of this year (well I guess if they win it all he will stay). Too many players dislike him, he can not coach this group. If it was not for the top line this team would be having drinks with Edmonton.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
As we know any goalie can go through a slump, bad year, but Bernier is so technically sound that he will never have the ups and downs of Reimer.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not sure how anyone didn't know Bernier was going to be the starter after they acquired him?

I said it at the very beginning.

Perhaps people who believe management really does want your opinion when they ask for it might be naïve enough to believe Reimer ever had support.

Been saying all along that he should have been moved this year while coming off a .924 season. They should have got a veteran back-up.

If they miss the playoffs this could be the very reason. They needed someone who could come in cold and play okay. Someone with experience, not 2, 25 year old keepers.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Easily expected with how Carlyle has treated him when just one year ago he was the savior

I truly don't understand the strange coddling and hurt feeling by the Pro-Reimer fans around here. It's bizarre.

This isn't summer camp, it's professional hockey.

The team has won 4 of his last 17 starts. That is not remotely acceptable. It's not the coaches fault that the team has won 4 of his last 17 starts. It should be pretty clear that Reimer isn't getting it done and he isn't getting it done on a consistent basis.

I know there was a large contingent here that didn't understand why the Leafs traded for Bernier. Go back to the acquisition thread. There was a small handful of us that heralded this as an excellent trade that addressed the teams goaltending issues while the vast majority here said it was either a "slap in the face to Reimer" or pretended that the Leafs would platoon both or that there would be a "battle" for the starting job. It was clear then - to a handful of fans here - that Bernier was acquired to be the starting goalie and that management and the coaching staff knew that Reimer's deficiencies weren't acceptable for a starting net minder.

Now it seems that those vocal fans that wanted to pretend Reimer was a starting goalie would rather assign the blame for the obvious way things turned out on everyone but Reimer rather than acknowledge they were wrong or perhaps were evaluating Reimer's skill through heavily tinted blue and white glasses.

Now it's Carlyle's fault, somehow that Reimer has been poor this year. It's Carlyle's fault that the team has won just 4 of his last 17 starts. It's Carlyle's fault that he said Reimer was "just okay" in a game where he was barely okay.

I even saw, in the Trade Rumor thread, a Leaf fan that was still trying to pretend that Reimer was going to fetch a solid return via trade and that he could start for six or seven teams in the league. When people pointed out his stat line and suggested that no team would play that price he responded that Reimer has proven that he's a very good starting goalie and also proven that he's a lousy back-up, so teams need to trade for him and make him the starter, not het back-up or a platoon guy cause he doesn't play well in that scenario.

Why not be thrilled you acquired a solid starting goalie who's playing well instead of clinging to the idea that Reimer is that? He's not, he's on the bench, and the Leafs are a much better team for it.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
LOL at the people saying Bernier plays in front of a different team. This whole team has had "wtf" moments with both goalies, yet Bernier's #'s show that he's actually a #1 while Reimer is struggling. I wonder why? haha. I like Reimer but the writing has been on the wall since the Bernier trade, eventually he was going to get traded. Everyone who is upset should give their heads a shake. Reimer was never going to be here long term with Bernier here. Let's move him in the summer and get on with this. It doesn't need to be such a big issue. He's just a goalie, move him get an asset, and embrace Bernier because it is his team.

One issue I have, is Reimer kind of pouting off lately about this. I know he may be frustrated but he was never entitled to the #1 job, so him kind of whining a bit is kind of surprising.

After his rookie year he was anointed the solution in net. Go back to the summer of 2011 watch how he was branded. Watch how all media would point out this may be the best goalie since belfour. Since than hes had preferential treatment.

There were times gus deserved an extended look but the team would always go back to reimer. This is due to the team investing in him. This year os the first time hes had to actually fight for the crease. So yes in a way he most likely does feel entitled.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
I truly don't understand the strange coddling and hurt feeling by the Pro-Reimer fans around here. It's bizarre.

This isn't summer camp, it's professional hockey.

The team has won 4 of his last 17 starts. That is not remotely acceptable. It's not the coaches fault that the team has won 4 of his last 17 starts. It should be pretty clear that Reimer isn't getting it done and he isn't getting it done on a consistent basis.

I know there was a large contingent here that didn't understand why the Leafs traded for Bernier. Go back to the acquisition thread. There was a small handful of us that heralded this as an excellent trade that addressed the teams goaltending issues while the vast majority here said it was either a "slap in the face to Reimer" or pretended that the Leafs would platoon both or that there would be a "battle" for the starting job. It was clear then - to a handful of fans here - that Bernier was acquired to be the starting goalie and that management and the coaching staff knew that Reimer's deficiencies weren't acceptable for a starting net minder.

Now it seems that those vocal fans that wanted to pretend Reimer was a starting goalie would rather assign the blame for the obvious way things turned out on everyone but Reimer rather than acknowledge they were wrong or perhaps were evaluating Reimer's skill through heavily tinted blue and white glasses.

Now it's Carlyle's fault, somehow that Reimer has been poor this year. It's Carlyle's fault that the team has won just 4 of his last 17 starts. It's Carlyle's fault that he said Reimer was "just okay" in a game where he was barely okay.

I even saw, in the Trade Rumor thread, a Leaf fan that was still trying to pretend that Reimer was going to fetch a solid return via trade and that he could start for six or seven teams in the league. When people pointed out his stat line and suggested that no team would play that price he responded that Reimer has proven that he's a very good starting goalie and also proven that he's a lousy back-up, so teams need to trade for him and make him the starter, not het back-up or a platoon guy cause he doesn't play well in that scenario.

Why not be thrilled you acquired a solid starting goalie who's playing well instead of clinging to the idea that Reimer is that? He's not, he's on the bench, and the Leafs are a much better team for it.
Never understood that notion. He has yet to prove he can carry a starters work load.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think Reimer sees himself as a legit NHL starter, and will thus likely be dealt this summer, since it's pretty clear that he's behind Bernier. I'm not sure whether or not I agree with Reimer - is he a legit starter, or a good backup?

When I think of "legit starters", I think of guys like Rask, Price, Lundqvist, Quick, Miller, Luongo, Schneider, Lehtonen, Halak, Varlamov, Crawford, Niemi, Howard, Bernier, Bobrovsky, Fleury and Smith. I'd put Reimer more with the guys who are sort of borderline starters, borderline backups - goalies like Holtby, Enroth, Mason, Lack, Scrivens and Pavelec. These are guys who want to start, who CAN start on some teams, but who GMs, coaches and fans are all somewhat unsatisfied with as their starter. A guy who "will do, in a pinch," but not a rock solid anchor in goal where you say "yup, we're set in goal, no need to keep looking."

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think Reimer sees himself as a legit NHL starter, and will thus likely be dealt this summer, since it's pretty clear that he's behind Bernier. I'm not sure whether or not I agree with Reimer - is he a legit starter, or a good backup?

When I think of "legit starters", I think of guys like Rask, Price, Lundqvist, Quick, Miller, Luongo, Schneider, Lehtonen, Halak, Varlamov, Crawford, Niemi, Howard, Bernier, Bobrovsky, Fleury and Smith. I'd put Reimer more with the guys who are sort of borderline starters, borderline backups - goalies like Holtby, Enroth, Mason, Lack, Scrivens and Pavelec. These are guys who want to start, who CAN start on some teams, but who GMs, coaches and fans are all somewhat unsatisfied with as their starter. A guy who "will do, in a pinch," but not a rock solid anchor in goal where you say "yup, we're set in goal, no need to keep looking."

Bernier?

After less than 1 season?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Toronto fans have a history of overrating their goalie and goes back to Potvin and Joseph. Reimer is a great guy and had a solid year last year but I'm not even sure that he's a starting goalie in the NHL. I would be hard pressed to say he's even better than Scrivens. I don't think he is.

Kinda funny you would say Leafs fans overrate their goalies than go on to say that a former Leaf is better than current Leafs. Scrivens is good, and you probably would've said the fans overrated him in Toronto as well if he was still a Leaf. And I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh at your suggestion that Joseph was overrated, the Leafs defence that played in front of him at the time was worse than this one. Joseph was phenomenal

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kinda funny you would say Leafs fans overrate their goalies than go on to say that a former Leaf is better than current Leafs. Scrivens is good, and you probably would've said the fans overrated him in Toronto as well if he was still a Leaf. And I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh at your suggestion that Joseph was overrated, the Leafs defence that played in front of him at the time was worse than this one. Joseph was phenomenal

Joseph masked too many problems and kept the team from addressing them.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
It seems like only Leafs fans know about how incredible Bernier has been this season. Granted he's had his stinkers too but holy man has he bailed our ***** out on a couple of night. He has similar numbers to Rask (who plays on a WAY superior team), that should say LOTS in and of itself.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It seems like only Leafs fans know about how incredible Bernier has been this season. Granted he's had his stinkers too but holy man has he bailed our ***** out on a couple of night. He has similar numbers to Rask (who plays on a WAY superior team), that should say LOTS in and of itself.

A couple of nights ?

This team lives and dies with how there goalies play . Our team defense is horrible and if it wasn't for Bernier and to a lesser extent Reims we'd be no where near a bubble playoff team at this time .

Reims hasn't stood on his head but he hasn't cost us many games . This teams just isn't good enough to consistently win with avg goaltending .

It's sad how we continue to make excuses ( i'm not referring to you ) for the play of some of out players but then expect our goalies to be flawless every game .

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

This may well be true but Cujo and Potvin took their teams to the semis. Reimer broke the playoff dry spell but he doesn't come anywhere close to being in the same category as those guys. Reimer is more of an Allan Bester. An entertaining goalie during some bad times. That's it. I think people who love him must be the younger kids who grew up with nothing good to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad