Reimer to Request Trade in Summer?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Reimer will be very lucky to have a job in the NHL next year.

Jesus, do you people even watch games?

He's played like a number 1 at times this season, started the season off so well, and is currently struggling largely because of confidence - he's lost confidence in himself and knows his coach doesn't trust him.

We've seen what a confident and in-form Reimer can do. That's not only NHL #1 goalie level performance, but very good NHL #1 goalie level performance.

Not only will he get another shot somewhere, but he will become a firmly established number 1.

Some people talk as if this guy is the second coming of Jonas ****ing Gustavsson.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON

He's played like a number 1 at times this season, started the season off so well, and is currently struggling largely because of confidence - he's lost confidence in himself and knows his coach doesn't trust him.

We've seen what a confident and in-form Reimer can do. That's not only NHL #1 goalie level performance, but very good NHL #1 goalie level performance.

Not only will he get another shot somewhere, but he will become a firmly established number 1.

Some people talk as if this guy is the second coming of Jonas ****ing Gustavsson.
Don't bother, you're just going to get bashed. Reimer sucks, Kadri sucks, Phaneuf sucks, fire Carlyle, Nonis, Leiweke, hire Komarov, etc etc

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario

First bolded part: How can you be confident in a goalie if he himself isn't confident in his own abilities? He did great last season without any competition, yet when Bernier comes in and Reimer isn't given the starting job, he loses his confidence. His coach doesn't trust him because he hasn't been able to show that he's better than the other guy. If its because he hasnt been playing regularly to get into the groove, well thats just too bad because all teams are going to play the goaltender who gives them the best chance to win, and currently Reimer isn't that guy.

Second bolded part: I defintely agree he could become an average/slightly above average goaltender in the NHL, but he wont be doing that for the Leafs. We should just be happy we have a potential long-term goaltender in Bernier. In a way, Reimer is in a position where Bernier was in before. Good goalie but stuck behind a better one, therefore he'll have to be traded to get an opportunity to become #1. Even then, most teams will probably have another decent goaltender to challenge him and he'll need to show he's superior than the other guy.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Good on you for not joining the "mob".

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn't be against moving him at the draft to replace one of the 3 2nd round picks we've dealt in the past year (Bernier, Holland, and Bolland trades).

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Please go, we don't need the distraction. He doesn't command a 2nd round pick in return though, goalie markets are regularly soft. Teams will just hit the FA market or look abroad before giving up a 2nd for Reimer considering his piss poor performance as of late dragging his value down

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 2m
Reporter told Reimer that Leafs have won just 4 of his last 17 starts; "Honestly, I wasn't aware of that stat … That's too bad"

Imo that's a dick comment to make to Reimer.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Reporter told Reimer that Leafs have won just 4 of his last 17 starts; "Honestly, I wasn't aware of that stat … That's too bad"

it is, but when you live/play in a hockey crazed market, you have to be prepared for scrutiny. it can't all be sunshine and rainbows.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Don't bother, you're just going to get bashed. Reimer sucks, Kadri sucks, Phaneuf sucks, fire Carlyle, Nonis, Leiweke, hire Komarov, etc etc
LOL.

I'm pissed who started this rumour.
The title should say rumour. Can't someone edit the title ?

The question is .... was Dreger speculating ? Because the Twitter quote made it like Dreger *HEARD* Reimer was going to request a trade.

Why would people say Reimer is playing bad b/c he "Lost his Confidence".
I dont buy that at all. He's just not playing well.
If he is not playing well "because of a confidence issue" he shouldn't be in the NHL. Surely he is more professional than that. I think he is.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
Bernier is our number one, so if Reimer wants out I'm sure Nonis will find him a place to go. I'm not overly concerned either as Reimer hasn't looked very good as a back up. Perhaps he needs to play regular minutes to stay sharp, which doesn't really make for a good fit currently.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
We have found the most important hockey personality in Toronto and that is...drumroll...Darren Drieger!! I have proof. He merely speculates on a live telecast that Reimer "will probably" ask for a trade in the summer and numerous Leaf fans scream "who is he to demand a trade at this time"? Now that is power. Or fan stupidity. Personally,I blame the education system.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

it is, but when you live/play in a hockey crazed market, you have to be prepared for scrutiny. it can't all be sunshine and rainbows.

I wonder if he really didn't know. [hee i kind of like the 'that's too bad" like oops, well what more do you want :laugh:]

What I'm not understanding - why if someone goes "Reimer sucks" it's "oh my god, it's not fair." [note - I'm not saying he sucks, please and thank you] or anything that even remotely touches on the "he's not handling competition or the pressure well," so he should be moved for someone who can be a backup/Bernier push-er who can handle competition and the pressure well and there is all this "but Reimer did this! and Remier did that! and we're being unfair!!

and then there is comment after comment after comment after comment about how brutal Clarkson is. the collective no one is giving him any credit, no one brings up his two really good offensive years + his years of just playing really good hockey in NJD, or even hey - he can have a bounce back year. Nope. it's all about how much he is the place where offense goes to die, and his contract sucks, and he needs to go.

So. why... exactly is Reimer exempt [or should be exempt] from the exact same thing? Because we drafted him? Because he played well? Because let's call a spade a spade - 4 wins out of 17 is brutal. You can slap the lipstick on that pig of a stat any way you want and give very reasonable reasons, but it ain't good. Especially when you flip it and go Bernier's last 18, Bernier's only lost 2 in regulation [and 3 overtime losses, and 1 of those was coming into relief of Reimer].

that's just my ponder. At any rate, regardless of what happens, I hope he goes somewhere where he can be a #1 goaltender, work on his game some more, and do well, and I hope we can get some pieces to make his team better. at the end of the day I don't really care what they do as long as

:leafs

are better.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I wonder if he really didn't know. [hee i kind of like the 'that's too bad" like oops, well what more do you want :laugh:]

What I'm not understanding - why if someone goes "Reimer sucks" it's "oh my god, it's not fair." [note - I'm not saying he sucks, please and thank you] or anything that even remotely touches on the "he's not handling competition or the pressure well," so he should be moved for someone who can be a backup/Bernier push-er who can handle competition and the pressure well and there is all this "but Reimer did this! and Remier did that! and we're being unfair!!

and then there is comment after comment after comment after comment about how brutal Clarkson is. the collective no one is giving him any credit, no one brings up his two really good offensive years + his years of just playing really good hockey in NJD, or even hey - he can have a bounce back year. Nope. it's all about how much he is the place where offense goes to die, and his contract sucks, and he needs to go.

So. why... exactly is Reimer exempt [or should be exempt] from the exact same thing? Because we drafted him? Because he played well? Because let's call a spade a spade - 4 wins out of 17 is brutal. You can slap the lipstick on that pig of a stat any way you want and give very reasonable reasons, but it ain't good. Especially when you flip it and go Bernier's last 18, Bernier's only lost 2 in regulation [and 3 overtime losses, and 1 of those was coming into relief of Reimer].

that's just my ponder. At any rate, regardless of what happens, I hope he goes somewhere where he can be a #1 goaltender, work on his game some more, and do well, and I hope we can get some pieces to make his team better. at the end of the day I don't really care what they do as long as

:leafs

are better.

Reimer's been here longer and makes less money is my only explanation. For some reason there are sacred cows for large groups of Leafs nation and Reimer is a part of that. IMO, no one should be above criticism because we've accomplished squat so far.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Reimer is the freaking man and he will make a very good starting goalie, but unfortunately I think his days here are numbered. He's everything a young athlete should look towards when finding a role model. I doubt we'll get a decent return though since teams know he needs to be moved and will use that against us.

Bluejaysfan*

Trade him out of the conference. A confident Reimer is a great #1 goalie as he has shown in his rookie year and last year. He has struggled this year because of a lack of confidence and because he has never been in a backup role before in the NHL.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

It's cringe worthy when you actually go and watch the interview. The full quote was: "Your team has won 4 out of your last 17 games you've started. What are your thoughts on that?"

Man we've got some big d***s in our media circle.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
s4564j.jpg

David Shoalts = Rumour-Mongering.

#globeandmail_sucks

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
It's cringe worthy when you actually go and watch the interview. The full quote was: "Your team has won 4 out of your last 17 games you've started. What are your thoughts on that?"

Man we've got some big d***s in our media circle.

I don't think thats uncommon in media circles when things aren't going well, especially in big market where reports stand to gain a lot of attention. Reimer's answer is ultimately a test of his character, and while I'm not going to insinuate there is a problem with his character (he's been A++ in Toronto), he does seem flustered, or annoyed, and that can't be good for his game.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I didn't need the media to realize the chances of Reims staying with the Leafs are very slim .

I'm just really disappointed JFJ isn't a GM somewhere , we'd easily get an elite prospect or a pkg of picks including a 1st from him in return for Reims .

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
I don't think thats uncommon in media circles when things aren't going well, especially in big market where reports stand to gain a lot of attention. Reimer's answer is ultimately a test of his character, and while I'm not going to insinuate there is a problem with his character (he's been A++ in Toronto), he does seem flustered, or annoyed, and that can't be good for his game.

This always disappoints me about the Toronto media. They are in it to start controversy all of the time. I can't wait until we get an in depth interview from Bolland's mother.

As for Reimer, I honestly feel bad for the guy. He has lost his confidence right now. I don't understand why he's getting trashed so much though. The team plays like garbage in front of him and he's the guy getting the brunt of the wrath. Here's an idea, don't leave Steven Stamkos alone in the slot on cross-ice plays. That puck goes in 90% of the time no matter who the goaltender is.

Reimer has lost the starting job because Bernier has been legitimately better this year. We should keep in mind with Bernier though that this is one year of good performance on the Leafs and that Reimer has two seasons of >.920 SV% on the Leafs and those were followed up with less than exceptional seasons. I'm going to give him a pass on the 2011-2012 season though as the concussion issues clearly played a role in his game.

We should also maybe keep in mind that Bernier hasn't played playoff hockey yet in his career (30 minutes of relief hockey where he faced 9 shots). What if Bernier comes into the postseason and implodes. Does Carlyle lose faith in him too?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I've never seen a player referred to as "a great guy" so much in my life. Did I miss all the interview and behind the scenes footage that had him resuscitating*dieing puppies and then giving them to orphans or something?

Last edited:

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Jake Gardiner is an effective puck lugger, but he is also still quite raw in the defensive aspects of the game. He's prone to ill timed pinches and getting caught up-ice, as well as turnovers in high risk areas. Pairing him with Phaneuf is not a good idea. While more physical, Dion is also prone to getting caught out on occasion, and is best suited to skate with a sound, positionally stable partner who can compensate. Gunner is to Dion as Bozak is to Kessel. Neither player is an all star, but both have pretty high hockey IQ's and are able to play a relatively mistake free game which allows for the chemistry to flourish between them and the aforementioned "skill" player.

It's somewhat curious that you would make the comment that Dion should be paired with a hitter, then you suggest Gardiner, for the exact opposite reason. HAve you really thought this through?
Phaneuf-Gardiner might not be the solution. But Phaneuf-Gunnarsson clearly isn't workng out. Possession and moving the puck up to the offensive zone is the team's greatest weakness. And Phaneuf and Gunnarsson both struggle with that aspect of the game. They are negative Relative Corsi players. Meanwhile puck-carrying defensemen Jake Gardiner and Morgan Rielly are positive Corsi Relative players. If Gardiner can't get it done on the top pair, the Leafs need to get themselves a top 2 mobile D-Man who is decent defensively and can contribute on the PK. It's difficult to get an asset like that though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad