RD Tristan Luneau - Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL (2022, 53rd, ANA)

RBZ

Jun 24, 2013
I've always had him mid first as one if the top Ds in the draft with Nemec, Jiricek and Mintyukov. I wanted Montreal to trade up to draft him if still available around #20, can you imagine that?

Guy was drafted #1 OA in the Q for a reason. Got his knee injured, and suddenly Maverick Lamoureux is better??? Even Anaheim drafted Warren before him. Are you kidding me?

Pathetic scouting if you ask me.

Was so mad when the Habs drafted Mesar and Beck instead of him.
Agree with this completely.
lamoureux ahead of luneau????

even worse, Warren ahead of Luneau. Can you imagine they are both on same team and scouts thinking Warren is better. Anaheim lucky to get Luneau where they did.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

even worse, Warren ahead of Luneau. Can you imagine they are both on same team and scouts thinking Warren is better. Anaheim lucky to get Luneau where they did.
With Gaucher and Warren the Ducks were improving the size and nasty-ness in our depth, we were not counting on them to put up points. Not all fans agree with those picks but that's who we went after.

Luneau had the injury risk which scared teams off, Ducks were the first to give it a shot :) At many times Luneau just moves so well, I hope he makes full recovery of that injury.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

They didn't think he was better.

They took Warren first because there's usually a reach on physical players in the draft.

If you want to have physical players, you have to take them early.

This is the reason why talented players like Luneau, Nelson or Hutson slip.

But hockey is not just about talent.

However, Luneau was very disappointing last year. But Warren was caught before because his profile was rarer.

Until last year, I was making boards focusing on talent and from roster order, simulating a draft roster for my favorite team (Montreal). I noticed that I only came across small players.

This is where I understood the need to favor physical players in the rankings. Guys like Power, who combine physicality and talent are extremely rare.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Disagree that Warren over Luneau is egregious.

Warren‘s never going to be a big point producer at any level. His upside it that of a steady, complementary defensive defender. A type of defender that no one in the league wants to part with.

Smirnov2Chistov

Fire Greg Cronin!
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Obviously he did not go in the 1st round, he went late 2nd.

Jiricek had knee problems as well, still got drafted high.

Scouts sometimes really suck at their job.

You really think amateurs on this website do a better job at scouting than professionals?

This is quite the funny take. If Luneau never rebounded from his injury, and his skating was permanently affected, then yes, teams were right in not picking him.

Warren has a different skillet which I appreciate more - big, mean, physical. The Ducks need more of that on the defense

Reactions: Trojans86

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Luneau is very, very good.l, and has been for 3 seasons.

He was extremely undervalued and put down because of an injury plagued year.

The fact he was the 3rd D out of the Q, and even more laughably the 2nd from his own team, is bizarre, and Anaheim’s laughing now (regardless of taking his teammate before him, makes no difference to them).

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
You really think amateurs on this website do a better job at scouting than professionals?

This is quite the funny take. If Luneau never rebounded from his injury, and his skating was permanently affected, then yes, teams were right in not picking him.

Warren has a different skillet which I appreciate more - big, mean, physical. The Ducks need more of that on the defense
Hindsight scouts.

Reactions: slumpy43

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Hindsight scouts.
Just look at this thread. Some of us would have been pounding the table for him at the draft.

Just because for some reason NHL scouts prefered frickin Lamoureux and Warren to him well, because they're huge, doesn't make it any less a really, really dumb choice... Injury or not. Even last year coming back from injury he was 10x the talent of those 2 guy. He's 6'2 as well, not like he's small either.

Not pretending to be better than NHL scouts and I know a lot of things come into play when picking at the draft...
However, fact Warren was playing on the same team and that it means somehow the same person scouted both and decided that Warren was better is just laughable.

Not exactly the same level of prospect.

Smirnov2Chistov

Fire Greg Cronin!
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Just look at this thread. Some of us would have been pounding the table for him at the draft.

Just because for some reason NHL scouts prefered frickin Lamoureux and Warren to him well, because they're huge, doesn't make it any less a really, really dumb choice... Injury or not. Even last year coming back from injury he was 10x the talent of those 2 guy. He's 6'2 as well, not like he's small either.

Not pretending to be better than NHL scouts and I know a lot of things come into play when picking at the draft...
However, fact Warren was playing on the same team and that it means somehow the same person scouted both and decided that Warren was better is just laughable.

They are two different type of players. If both pan out correctly, Warren can become a great physical defenseman - I don’t think you can ignore his upside. His size definitely helps.

Luneau - if he can work out would seem like a really good mobile defenseman (Hopefully like Lindholm).

I guess I prefer size on defense

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Troy Terry was a 5th rounder, around 100 picks before him were laughable. It's really good if you can look into the future but no one can – Luneau has skyrocketed since the draft while Warren has stalled, albeit he's having a couple of worrying injuries since the draft which impacted his game.

Anyway, if you look closely at the TDL, you see that Klingberg, Ghostisbere can return only mid-round picks, while Gavrikov, Savard(in previous years) return 1st rounders. There is more into play than just point for a defenseman. This is stretching the topic tho, Luneau has been pretty solid defensively when I watched him.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

Except there are hundreds of examples over the years of this happening and fans were raving about how they should have been drafted higher, only for the kid to bust and not make it.

Hence this being hindsight.

This is coming from someone that said Luneau was the pick I was most excited for after Mintyukov for the Ducks. I still see why they picked Warren, and for all we know they had them literally 1 after the other on their list.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I really wanted Luneau with the Jets pick used on Lambert, especially since he wouldve been our best RD prospect by a mile even w/ Salomonsson. Lamberts holding up nicely in the WHL but it wouldve been nice to get this kid, he was primed for a season like this in juniors. Ducks got a steal.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Some (several, even) are, yes.

Just because some made different career choices doesn't make them any less competent at evaluating prospects by default. This is true in several other industries/fields, too.

Only thing that pros will have over amateur scouts or just everyday people who watch just as many games is more background information on said players.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

Just because some made different career choices doesn't make them any less competent at evaluating prospects by default. This is true in several other industries/fields, too.

Only thing that pros will have over amateur scouts or just everyday people who watch just as many games is more background information on said players.

Ya, and there are some 6'11 accountants that have legitimacy when they say they are better then some NBA players.

You're talking about the exception to the rule and you shouldn't make broad statements about the exception.

Smirnov2Chistov

Fire Greg Cronin!
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

So you’re telling me that these Joe Shmoes on this website are better than people who have been doing this for most of their life? Good lord!

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

So you’re telling me that these Joe Shmoes on this website are better than people who have been doing this for most of their life? Good lord!
Some of them. That was the argument, and I don’t see how that’s worth much debate. Scouting isn’t an exact science, and most scouts spent „doing this for most of their life“ the same way many HF users did - playing a fair bit of hockey, then watching a fair bit of hockey from different leagues and different age groups. What makes this debate so pointless is that scouts aren’t a monolith - virtually every opinion you can find on HF is being held by some scout out there. With prospects in late 1st range and beyond in particular, scouts regularly vehemently disagree with one another on players and their projection. Teams end up looking at what’s closest to resembling a consensus among their scouts. Sometimes that’s the right call, sometimes the outlier scout who raved about one kid but wasn’t echoed turns out to be correct. With every call, some folks on HF and beyond have felt the same way, some for right reasons, some for wrong. Obviously the hit rate with a whole professional group is far better, but it’s no shocking revelation that sometimes that professional process still ends up with amateur-ish results.

It would be nice if we could now go back to using this thread to discuss whether and/or how much Luneau will make his fall to round 2 seem like an oversight by multiple scouting staffs.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I've always had him mid first as one if the top Ds in the draft with Nemec, Jiricek and Mintyukov. I wanted Montreal to trade up to draft him if still available around #20, can you imagine that?

Guy was drafted #1 OA in the Q for a reason. Got his knee injured, and suddenly Maverick Lamoureux is better??? Even Anaheim drafted Warren before him. Are you kidding me?

Pathetic scouting if you ask me.

Was so mad when the Habs drafted Mesar and Beck instead of him.
I remember thinking on draft day watching Luneau falling and at some point I realized the Ducks had a chance to get him after Mintyukov.

Then they picked Gaucher? Nevermind, we need forwards so it's fine. But Warren? Surely Ducks will not get a third chance to draft him. I just don't understand it.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I'm someone who has scouted Luneau and Warren since they were 13 years old as underagers in Bantam AAA in Quebec.

Luneau has always been miles ahead as a player, and Warren has always had that physical advantage. I can understand that teams will try to find these huge, mobile and physical defenders that can be tough to play against.

To me, it is however strange that a player that was used (in terms of minutes) as the #5 defenseman on his team got drafted ahead of the guy that's been used as the #1 since he was 16. How can Warren be considered as that incredible defensive defenseman and Luneau an offensive defenseman when he's the one who often ends up having the harder assignments and doing much better in that role anyway?

I know I would have picked Luneau way ahead, all day long, but I've been a huge fan of his for so long now that my view may be blurred.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I'm someone who has scouted Luneau and Warren since they were 13 years old as underagers in Bantam AAA in Quebec.

Luneau has always been miles ahead as a player, and Warren has always had that physical advantage. I can understand that teams will try to find these huge, mobile and physical defenders that can be tough to play against.

To me, it is however strange that a player that was used (in terms of minutes) as the #5 defenseman on his team got drafted ahead of the guy that's been used as the #1 since he was 16. How can Warren be considered as that incredible defensive defenseman and Luneau an offensive defenseman when he's the one who often ends up having the harder assignments and doing much better in that role anyway?

I know I would have picked Luneau way ahead, all day long, but I've been a huge fan of his for so long now that my view may be blurred.
I had Luneau at 11, and Warren at 17 last year.

I have always had a soft spot for Warren but I whole heartedly agree. Luneau has always been the better of the two.

I think the question we should be asking is if Luneau is better than Mintyukov, Mateychuk or Korchinski? I think there is a quality debate to be had there.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I think the fact that Anaheim had just drafted Mintukov probably played into their decision to take Warren over Luneau.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Funny that this is the topic of conversation since the Ducks would have been the dumb team that drafted his teammate, but they instead look like the geniuses that drafted both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad