RD Tristan Luneau - Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL (2022, 53rd, ANA)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The Ducks 3 top defensive prospect have all been amazing in the rookie camp and preseason, but Luneau has been the most impressive. Such a stud.
Kid probably went up in my estimation of the Ducks pipeline more than anyone else. He really is a lot closer to Mintyukov and Zellweger than people think. May not have the highest offensive ceiling, but I think just from this camp he's already showing the right tools that indicate he may be the best two way guy of the bunch.

And I really wish they tracked TOI in today's game because it looked like he was on the ice for 60-70% of the game. And he never looked tired. Was making positive impact plays at both ends of the ice all game long. Really impressed.

Even if he doesn't stick with Anaheim, which is likely given how ready Lacombe looks, I'm really excited to see Luneau progress into a pro.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Kid probably went up in my estimation of the Ducks pipeline more than anyone else. He really is a lot closer to Mintyukov and Zellweger than people think. May not have the highest offensive ceiling, but I think just from this camp he's already showing the right tools that indicate he may be the best two way guy of the bunch.

And I really wish they tracked TOI in today's game because it looked like he was on the ice for 60-70% of the game. And he never looked tired. Was making positive impact plays at both ends of the ice all game long. Really impressed.

Even if he doesn't stick with Anaheim, which is likely given how ready Lacombe looks, I'm really excited to see Luneau progress into a pro.
Drysdale contract situation kind of opens one RD spot. I'm sure that plays a role in this as well. But great on Luneau, Ducks fans again knew a lot of hockey world is sleeping on him, so not really that surprised.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Ducks 3 top defensive prospect have all been amazing in the rookie camp and preseason, but Luneau has been the most impressive. Such a stud.
Yeah what the hell did I know living in Ottawa and watching the Olympiques and 67's.....

Said Quinn was better than Rossi was roasted on here. Said Luneau was more impressive than Mintyukov. Roasted. (Not that we know which one is better at the end but they were always comparables).

Maybe people that are actually watching and going to the games know what they are looking at over the stat watchers. Yes I'd still take Luneau over Hutson if I am building a team. Sorry Habs fans I like size on my back end. You've got plenty of that in Guhle and Reinbacher. Congrats but they aren't part of this discussion.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah what the hell did I know living in Ottawa and watching the Olympiques and 67's.....

Said Quinn was better than Rossi was roasted on here. Said Luneau was more impressive than Mintyukov. Roasted. (Not that we know which one is better at the end but they were always comparables).

Maybe people that are actually watching and going to the games know what they are looking at over the stat watchers. Yes I'd still take Luneau over Hutson if I am building a team. Sorry Habs fans I like size on my back end. You've got plenty of that in Guhle and Reinbacher. Congrats but they aren't part of this discussion.
I surely have less watch time of them than you, but I also was always more impressed with Luneau when I watched them. Just seems more in control of the play, and seemingly more dominant when he wants to be, than Mintyukov.

That being said, I don't think the Ducks have given as much chance for Minty in this preseason yet. But I am still more optimistic on Luneau long-term, but no doubt Minty is still likely to come out on top at the end.

Reactions: Beckett

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I surely have less watch time of them than you, but I also was always more impressed with Luneau when I watched them. Just seems more in control of the play, and seemingly more dominant when he wants to be, than Mintyukov.

That being said, I don't think the Ducks have given as much chance for Minty in this preseason yet. But I am still more optimistic on Luneau long-term, but no doubt Minty is still likely to come out on top at the end.
It's a great problem to have the future is very bright in Anaheim. Made me scratch my head when they picked up Thomson on waivers though. Well made me scratch my head when the sens unnecessarily put him on as well. But with the defensive depth they have I didn't see a fit. He's better than Bernard-Docker too. Who the sens gave a 1 way.

Anyways Luneau is an absolute stud. His progression year over year has been remarkable. The faster and stronger he gets and the ceiling keeps increasing. His hockey sense and puck skills are elite. In his draft year I wasn't sure about his skating but man it's come a long way quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beckett and Kalv

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

I think they are in the same category. Minty has been awesome over the past month also. I bet Ducks fans would all have a different opinion on who has been the best between the 4, Minty, Zellweger, Luneau, and Lacombe.

I’m just most impressed with Luneau since we all expected him to be a little less ready than the other 3.

I think this says more about how good Luneau is, rather than anything bad or below expectations about Minty and Zellweger.

carl jung

Mar 11, 2023
I said it when the draft was on...I thought luneau was going to go to Montreal in the late first...then even in the 2nd they never took him...though i think Montreal has a great group of young defenders...Luneau was a Quebec guy with high upside....
Perhaps if he gets drafted by the habs, he doesn't develop like he would in Anaheim due to the pressure of being drafted by your hometown team who has the most cut throat media

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Perhaps if he gets drafted by the habs, he doesn't develop like he would in Anaheim due to the pressure of being drafted by your hometown team who has the most cut throat media
Agreed, every time Montreal drafts a local kid early, it fails miserably.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
That's awesome. Think he has a shot at actually sticking around past 9 games? I'm guessing he's a little young for that, but a good camp can lead to a good regular season!

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
That's awesome. Think he has a shot at actually sticking around past 9 games? I'm guessing he's a little young for that, but a good camp can lead to a good regular season!
With Drysdale holding out it could happen.

I hope it doesn’t. No reason to rush him like Drysdale and Fowler were. The Ducks are not winning anything this year.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean maybe if drysdale isnt signed he gets a 9 game look.... even then with us grabbing Lassi ... its prob unlikely... not that he doesnt deserve it... hes been very good for us in rookie camp/preseason.... but we should avoid rushing him.

Its unfortunate its either NHL or CHL for him... because hes prob too good for CHL right now.... but he should get to be a key part of team canada for WJC which will be good for him. Was high on him(and mintyukov) when we drafted them... and so far both look like studs.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I mean maybe if drysdale isnt signed he gets a 9 game look.... even then with us grabbing Lassi ... its prob unlikely... not that he doesnt deserve it... hes been very good for us in rookie camp/preseason.... but we should avoid rushing him.

Its unfortunate its either NHL or CHL for him... because hes prob too good for CHL right now.... but he should get to be a key part of team canada for WJC which will be good for him. Was high on him(and mintyukov) when we drafted them... and so far both look like studs.
Give him the 9 games. Space it out.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

I loved the 2022 draft for the ducks (Mintyukov, Luneau, Gaucher espe), and I agree with you he should probably be in the AHL if it was allowed. That being said, I would not mind seeing both Luneau and Mintyukov in the NHL right now since the Ducks have no real pressure to make the playoffs this year. Pair one with Gudas, one with Fowler. When Drysdale goes back, if Luneau is not better than Drysdale (likely), put Luneau on the bottom pair as long as you give him minutes and your 6th D gets 10 mins or less per game.

Not saying CHL would be bad for either of them but then the CHL staff and prospects must receive clear instructions they should not focus on offense but rather on improving the overall game to have them NHL ready sooner than later.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Tristan Luneau led all the Ducks in ice time last night - considerably more than other D outside of Fowler. He also earned a PP, made a hit, and one of the few on our roster with non-negative +/- (0) in a 1:4 loss.

Solid performance if you ask me. I'm starting to think whether he might get a few games in this season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I loved the 2022 draft for the ducks (Mintyukov, Luneau, Gaucher espe), and I agree with you he should probably be in the AHL if it was allowed. That being said, I would not mind seeing both Luneau and Mintyukov in the NHL right now since the Ducks have no real pressure to make the playoffs this year. Pair one with Gudas, one with Fowler. When Drysdale goes back, if Luneau is not better than Drysdale (likely), put Luneau on the bottom pair as long as you give him minutes and your 6th D gets 10 mins or less per game.

Not saying CHL would be bad for either of them but then the CHL staff and prospects must receive clear instructions they should not focus on offense but rather on improving the overall game to have them NHL ready sooner than later.
Minty zellweger and hinds can all join San Diego…. Luneau is nhl or chl… I don’t really think luneau has much to prove or learn in chl… but i don’t think we should rush him to full time nhl either.

Reactions: lwvs84

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Minty zellweger and hinds can all join San Diego…. Luneau is nhl or chl… I don’t really think luneau has much to prove or learn in chl… but i don’t think we should rush him to full time nhl either.
Can Mintyukov join AHL because he is Russian ? Seems silly given the fact he was in the OHL… Don t think Luneau should be rushed but I think he could learn in the NHL given the low stakes.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Can Mintyukov join AHL because he is Russian ? Seems silly given the fact he was in the OHL… Don t think Luneau should be rushed but I think he could learn in the NHL given the low stakes.
No, it's because Mintyukov is born in 2003. The CHL transfer agreement allows players in their 20-year old season to play in the AHL. Luneau is 2004 born and in his 19-year old season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What @kyle44 said

So luneau Warren and Mintyukov were all drafted in same draft year but because of birthdays, Mintyukov can be in ahl while Warren and luneau have to go to chl.

Sucks cause luneau is an early January birthday so he just misses it

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't think Luneau gets a 9-NHL game tryout due to roster mgmt. Anaheim has 8 d-men right now, which includes rookie LaCombe and doesn't include Drysdale. With Anaheim's GM wanted prospects to be overripen than not ripen, losing any potential NHL depth to keep the kids in the AHL dissuades from that overarching plan.

Luneau going back to juniors is far more beneficial, imo, to Luneau's future. It gives Luneau a whole season to add more bulk to his body so that he can handle the rigors of an NHL defenseman. Also, Luneau still needs to regain his first steps to be more of an explosive skater. He has been improving year after year and I expect it to get even better in juniors. Finally, going to juniors will help Luneau to become even more of a leader by sharing his NHL experience with his teammates, understand that you have to play defense as a d-man, and be one of the leaders for the WJC-20 team.

Anaheim is in developmental mode this year and next. There's no need for impatience, especially since Zell and Minty will be in the AHL. There's also that added benefit that the Ducks could be carrying 2x d-man of the year in their org with Zell (2x WHL d-man of the year) and potentially Luneau if Luneau wins it this year.

Reactions: lwvs84 and bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad