RD Tristan Luneau - Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL (2022, 53rd, ANA)

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
How big of a role does he take for Canada at the next WJC? Korchinski likely gets top PP slot. And then it’s him or Mateychuk for the second unit. I could see the D group looking something like.

Korchinski-Lamoureux
Pickering-Luneau
Mateychuk-Warren
Kyrou

Reactions: Dominance

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
How big of a role does he take for Canada at the next WJC? Korchinski likely gets top PP slot. And then it’s him or Mateychuk for the second unit. I could see the D group looking something like.

Korchinski-Lamoureux
Pickering-Luneau
Mateychuk-Warren
Kyrou
He’s going to be massive for Canada - going to log a lot of minutes I think.

And FWIW: Kyrou is a late birthday, so he isn’t eligible for the upcoming WJC.

Reactions: GunnarStahl

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
He’s going to be massive for Canada - going to log a lot of minutes I think.

And FWIW: Kyrou is a late birthday, so he isn’t eligible for the upcoming WJC.
Ah yes, forgot about that. Yeah I don’t think he is enough of a weapon on the PP to take that job from Korchinski, but he does literally everything else very well. I think he will be there main minute eater at even strength.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014

Korchinski-Lamoureux
Pickering-Luneau
Mateychuk-Warren
Kyrou
Hinds>Warren

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm a Ducks fan so I'm automatically more positive about him than most, but I felt he got way way way overlooked by the latest EliteProspects rankings. And I love EP, I think they're the best prospect or even hockey source, but even compared to some other Ducks prospects listed, I think he's being massively underrated there.

He needs to stay healthy and keep his development going, but I saw a clear top4 potential whenever I was watching him. At times, he was just dominant. Fun prospect to watch, I hope he gets to play in the Worlds this season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
At the end of the decade, I can imagine

Hutson : 10 000 000
Guhle : 8 000 000
Barron-Mailloux : 4 000 000
Xhekaj-Harris : 2 000 000

Edit : So, argue rather than use the weapon of the weak
I wouldn't trade any of Anaheims top 3 d men prospects for Hutson under any circumstances.

Reactions: majormajor

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Can you spot the Montreal Canadiens fan? I can
Guhle-Hutson-Reinbacher is very strong and there is more certainty of success than players who played in the CHL. I think you don't have to be a Montreal fan to recognize that.

It's above Mintyukov-Luneau-Zellweger (original subject).

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Guhle-Hutson-Reinbacher is very strong and there is more certainty of success than players who played in the CHL. I think you don't have to be a Montreal fan to recognize that.

It's above Mintyukov-Luneau-Zellweger (original subject).
Not sure I agree. I'm a Habs fan and I don't see a good reason to not take Zellweger and Mintyukov over anyone in the Habs' system right now. I can definitely see the possibility of someone like Reinbacher passing them eventually, but you can't convince me as things stand that he's better right now.

I will say I'd probably disagree with some Luneau takes. I don't think he's near as much of a can't miss prospect as Minty/Zell, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I certainly disagree with whoever said they wouldn't trade Luneau for Hutson... that seems outrageous.

That said, why are we even comparing these guys? Because Luneau is Quebecois? In any case, I like the prospect, but I'd like to see how he performs outside of the QMJHL before putting him on the level of Minty/Zell and to a lesser extent, Reinbacher/Hutson.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not sure I agree. I'm a Habs fan and I don't see a good reason to not take Zellweger and Mintyukov over anyone in the Habs' system right now. I can definitely see the possibility of someone like Reinbacher passing them eventually, but you can't convince me as things stand that he's better right now.

I will say I'd probably disagree with some Luneau takes. I don't think he's near as much of a can't miss prospect as Minty/Zell, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I certainly disagree with whoever said they wouldn't trade Luneau for Hutson... that seems outrageous.

That said, why are we even comparing these guys? Because Luneau is Quebecois? In any case, I like the prospect, but I'd like to see how he performs outside of the QMJHL before putting him on the level of Minty/Zell and to a lesser extent, Reinbacher/Hutson.

I think that luneau take is likely based on what we have in terms of offensive defensemen (Mintyukov, zellweger, laxombe, drysdale).

I think luneau ends up more of a 2 way guy…. No way we’d run zellweger Hutson and drysdale on the same back end …. So luneau is a better fit in Anaheim.

Personally I am high on luneau and think he ends up a 2way top 4 dmen that can play any scenario

Reactions: lwvs84 and Eegs

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I think that luneau take is likely based on what we have in terms of offensive defensemen (Mintyukov, zellweger, laxombe, drysdale).

I think luneau ends up more of a 2 way guy…. No way we’d run zellweger Hutson and drysdale on the same back end …. So luneau is a better fit in Anaheim.

Personally I am high on luneau and think he ends up a 2way top 4 dmen that can play any scenario
I like Luneau too, I think he has a very nice ceiling but conversely a quite low floor as well. In a vacuum, if we kept comparing to Habs guys, I would probably wager Guhle/Reinbacher have equivalent (or higher) ceilings along with safer floors, so I'd definitely rather them. As for Hutson, the ceiling is pretty insane but also the floor is dramatically low, and especially since the Ducks have a lot of small guys in their system I can understand your perspective. It all depends on how much risk you can tolerate in exchange for upside.

I'd have Minty/Zell right at the top of all these guys and Luneau at the bottom, but honestly all 6 of these players are excellent prospects, and this upcoming season can change the ranking dramatically. I kind of wish Luneau was not playing in the Q again because I'm not sure what else he can prove there, but hopefully the time he's being provided for development at lower levels will help him refine his game even more. Can definitely see a potential top 4 in him if all goes right.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
It would take a sudden collapse and it is in full ascending phase. The debate over his size no longer exists and his performance is higher than that of Fox, Makar and Hughes at the same age.

Its reference brand is far superior to Zellweger. Mintyukov and Guhle are close. Reinbacher is well above Luneau.

Montreal's 3 defenders have all already played and excelled among the seniors. Anaheim's 3 defenders have not played a single game above U20. So more certainty.

I already saw the defensive group hope of Montreal in front before the selection of Reinbacher but there, there is no more debate.

Did he grow or something? If he hasn't, then do it in the NHL. Size does matter boyos and even moreso for a defenseman.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
What's the situation with the team Canada WJC defense? Is Luneau a strong candidate for a key role?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Did he grow or something? If he hasn't, then do it in the NHL. Size does matter boyos and even moreso for a defenseman.
5cm in 1 year. (173 to 178). Maybe another cm for the next years.

During the selection year, Lane Hutson said that in the family (father Rob, big brother Quinn), they had grown 7cm after 18 years. That's actually what happened with Lane and that's why Cole will probably be selected in the 1st round this year. He will not necessarily be seen as better than his brother, but there will be less skepticism.

Edit : Cole is already announced at 177cm (+4cm compared to the 2022/23 season)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean Garrity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad