RD Tristan Luneau - Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL (2022, 53rd, ANA)

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
He is far more advanced than I thought he would be at this stage in his career. He has stuff to clean up positionally in his own end, as most guys his age do, but he looks like he can hang with the NHL at 19, which is unbelievably impressive considering he's getting top-pairing minutes.

He's going to destroy the Q if he gets sent back there after the WJC, bonus points if he gets shipped to a Memorial Cup contender.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He has some really good instincts already. Very good at retreating to find space when pressured and generally looks composed with the puck on his stick. Especially for a 19 year old. I think right now Mintyukov is a better package but Luneau has made a ton of progress at practice and it shows. I don't really have qualms about his skating but if he could get just a bit faster at full stride he'd be an excellent secondary threat behind Minty and Drysdale (if the latter isn't outright broken).

Lately I feel like he's been a bit better than Jackson Lacombe and I would not have predicted that at the start of the season.

I thought it was risky to keep Luneau around out of the fear of wasting him in the QMJHL since I feel like game minutes are the most important thing to a young player's development, but whatever they're doing behind the scenes with this kid is clearly working.

Last edited:

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
The very good Victoriaville Tigres are acquiring his rights, gotta think he gets sent down.

It's not a given. If he hits the 40 game mark (which he likely will due to injury), then as long as Anaheim could avoid him hitting 10 NHL games, they have no incentive to send him down. Basically, if he's going to be out until late February (for example), then Anaheim could give him a conditioning stint and 1-2 NHL games.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
It's not a given. If he hits the 40 game mark (which he likely will due to injury), then as long as Anaheim could avoid him hitting 10 NHL games, they have no incentive to send him down. Basically, if he's going to be out until late February (for example), then Anaheim could give him a conditioning stint and 1-2 NHL games.
While I admit that you’re right, it seems much more likely that he goes back to the Q. He needs to play games to continue developing, and while his illness was very disappointing you can find many more examples of players staying up in the NHL until the WJC, then returning to the CHL and allowing their ELC to slide.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I doubt the Ducks care about the 10 game mark. I think him being in the NHL is purely because they think he has a better chance of development then he did in the Q. Maybe that changes now that he has been traded.

Personally, I hope he goes back to the Q and wins a memorial cup. Especially with the Ducks back end being healthy (for now).

Also, cant he only have 1 AHL conditioning stint per year as a player ineligible to play there? He already had one.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I doubt the Ducks care about the 10 game mark. I think him being in the NHL is purely because they think he has a better chance of development then he did in the Q. Maybe that changes now that he has been traded.

Personally, I hope he goes back to the Q and wins a memorial cup. Especially with the Ducks back end being healthy (for now).

Also, cant he only have 1 AHL conditioning stint per year as a player ineligible to play there? He already had one.
The normal progression is less than 10 games played and less than 40 team games. The WJHC ends slightly before the 40 game mark, making it an easy call.

Luneau is guaranteed to pass the 40 game mark which puts him 1 year closer to UFA.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
The normal progression is less than 10 games played and less than 40 team games. The WJHC ends slightly before the 40 game mark, making it an easy call.

Luneau is guaranteed to pass the 40 game mark which puts him 1 year closer to UFA.
Why do you think that? He doesnt even have a spot in the Ducks starting lineup. He is actually their #8 now that Drysdale is back.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Why do you think that? He doesnt even have a spot in the Ducks starting lineup. He is actually their #8 now that Drysdale is back.
It's 40 team games and he is not eligible to be sent back. 40 team games happens next week.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
It's 40 team games and he is not eligible to be sent back. 40 team games happens next week.
Brain fart sorry. I was thinking appearances.

Do people not realize burning contract years in young players is actually beneficial cap wise in many instances? You get to negotiate w a player who is younger, and more than likely less impactful.
The Ducks did it all the time under Bob Murray. Easier to get a sweetheart bridge.

Reactions: Random Comment

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
why do I have vibes that Tristan is going to be someone with medical issues that prevent him from reaching his potential? Is that why he dropped in the draft, overall health concerns? Posters previously said it was likely due to skating..

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
They need him more than ever as the highest potential RD in the pipeline with JD gone.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Basically he convinced Pat that Drysdale is expendable. Have to make sure the health issues can be overcome

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Glad he’s back playing- how has he looked so far?
Not bad but I think he would be better off playing big minutes in the American league rather than rotating in and out with the other rooks. I though Zellweger looked better at RD with Fowler than Luneau did. Zell playing on his offside really unlocks his offense somehow.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Glad he’s back playing- how has he looked so far?
Flashes of great, but some tough games….

Not a big fan of him and fowler as a pairing, would like to see him get a look with someone else.

Eventually I’d like to see
Mintyukov + Luneau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad