RD Seamus Casey (2022, 46th, NJD)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Players like him don't stay longer than 2 years.
I think he might stay if only because we might not have an NHL roster spot for him, unless we roll 11F 7D, which I wouldn't hate, considering Casey could also probably play F.

Siegs - Hamilton
Bahl - Marino
Hughes - Nemec
Casey

Ideally we could move Hamilton but I don't think that's going to be possible.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think he might stay if only because we might not have an NHL roster spot for him, unless we roll 11F 7D, which I wouldn't hate, considering Casey could also probably play F.

Siegs - Hamilton
Bahl - Marino
Hughes - Nemec
Casey

Ideally we could move Hamilton but I don't think that's going to be possible.
That's what I was thinking too... seems like there is potential he stays in NCAA a little longer just cause it seems like a roster spot won't be open.

I would imagine NJ will do everything they can to sign him after this season though so he doesn't get even close to that dreaded UFA status for NCAA prospects

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
That's what I was thinking too... seems like there is potential he stays in NCAA a little longer just cause it seems like a roster spot won't be open.

I would imagine NJ will do everything they can to sign him after this season though so he doesn't get even close to that dreaded UFA status for NCAA prospects
They’ll either find room for him on the backend or convert him to forward. There’s no way you can keep a talent like him off NJ, his skill set was made in a lab for the current state of the team.

Edit: I also remember from his post-draft interview that he and his family are Devils fans, so it’s literally a match made is heaven (or hell, pun intended).

Takurcitee

Apr 22, 2022
He probably gets traded with Hamilton,Marino and Nemec on the right side and L Hughes on the team as well even if Hamilton gets traded both Nemec and hughes are offensive d and there is only 1 puck so i dont see where he would fit

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
NJ would be dumb to trade a cheap and young ELC defenseman in favor of keeping older, slower, more expensive players. Especially considering how much they will have to shell out for RFA deals to mercer, Luke, and Nemec. They will be in desperate need of cheap depth

And if Luke/Nemec pan out the way we hope then Dougie/Marino become redundant. It would be wise to dump one of the older players or expose them as potential expansion draft fodder in order to save money on the cap. Fitzgerald has shown to be good at knowing when to buy low/sell high, it wouldn't surprise me to see them cash out on one of the vets before they decline.

Reactions: My3Sons and HBK27

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He probably gets traded with Hamilton,Marino and Nemec on the right side and L Hughes on the team as well even if Hamilton gets traded both Nemec and hughes are offensive d and there is only 1 puck so i dont see where he would fit
Casey isn't just an offensive D, he's a great puck mover, which is really important defensively. It would be pretty silly to trade him for anything short of an overpayment.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Casey is one of my favorite D not in the NHL. There is a smoothness to his game in all facets. Great modern defenseman who defends by avoiding defending. Quick feet and great first pass.

To clarify though, he can defend well in the corners and in front of the net, but like most young D that’s where he can improve.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I think the way forward is have him either stay at UM another year (past this one) and then play in Utica/ be first injury call up in 25-26. After that season, Dougie will only have 2 years left and maybe he can be LTIR’d or traded if he’s still productive.

Converting Casey to a fwd is so stupid. You’re taking a top prospect and making him learn a whole new position. That’s bad development. If worst comes to worst, the Devils can play 4RD 2LD or trade him at high value.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think the way forward is have him either stay at UM another year (past this one) and then play in Utica/ be first injury call up in 25-26. After that season, Dougie will only have 2 years left and maybe he can be LTIR’d or traded if he’s still productive.

Converting Casey to a fwd is so stupid. You’re taking a top prospect and making him learn a whole new position. That’s bad development. If worst comes to worst, the Devils can play 4RD 2LD or trade him at high value.
Perfect succession plan, really.

Devil's are in the enviable position of having so many promising young d that the fanbase is already itching to move on from a 30 year old who was 6th in Norris voting last year haha. They'll get a haul for him too.

Reactions: Hisch13r

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Casey is the type where you really don't know what you are gonna get until he turns pro & gets a shot at the NHL. Undersized blueliners are typically a coin flip regardless of how good they appear to be as an amateur player.

Reactions: My3Sons

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He was 5'9.5 at the combine so not that hard to believe lol
I mean, he was rated as a top 3 dman of the draft before his draft year, but fell because he didn't put up gaudy numbers (because he didn't play PP1). I think scouts relied too much on counting stats.

Like, I see no reason why a guy like Quinn Hughes goes top 10 but Casey falls to the 2nd round other than stat watching.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I mean, he was rated as a top 3 dman of the draft before his draft year, but fell because he didn't put up gaudy numbers (because he didn't play PP1). I think scouts relied too much on counting stats.

Like, I see no reason why a guy like Quinn Hughes goes top 10 but Casey falls to the 2nd round other than stat watching.
Rated top 3 by who? Also how would u compare him to lane hutson, same draft and also went in the 2nd round?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad