RD Seamus Casey (2022, 46th, NJD)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Rated top 3 by who?
There were several sources out there that had him rated there. The big 3 D of the draft were at one point Nemec, Jiricek, and Casey.

Also how would u compare him to lane hutson, same draft and also went in the 2nd round?
He's a much better all around defender than Hutson

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How is his NHL potential for those that have watch him play? Obviously there are players from all leagues that do extremely well but you can tell their NHL potential is very low.

Does Casey have very good potential to be a really good NHLer soon?

Also what are your concerns for his future if there is any

Reactions: My3Sons

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
How is his NHL potential for those that have watch him play? Obviously there are players from all leagues that do extremely well but you can tell their NHL potential is very low.

I don't have any concerns for him. I think the skating isn't elite elite and the size isn't either so that will probably hold him back from being like upper-echelon.

I think the skating is good, the shot is good, the hockey IQ is really good. I think he is definitely an NHL RD. Probably a PP2 type guy in NJ just because they have Hughes. But could run the PP on some other teams. I like him.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

It's not out of question that he is the next Ty Smith, but that would be disappointing.

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I mean, he was rated as a top 3 dman of the draft before his draft year, but fell because he didn't put up gaudy numbers (because he didn't play PP1). I think scouts relied too much on counting stats.

Like, I see no reason why a guy like Quinn Hughes goes top 10 but Casey falls to the 2nd round other than stat watching.
???? Quinn Hughes played college in his draft year and had huge numbers, ESPECIALLY for a defenseman freshman in college.
Quinn Hughes was also the best skater in his draft, and played for Team USA at the World Championships.

Reactions: Guttersniped

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
???? Quinn Hughes played college in his draft year and had huge numbers, ESPECIALLY for a defenseman freshman in college.
Quinn Hughes was also the best skater in his draft, and played for Team USA at the World Championships.
Yeah, Hughes was a late birthday.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
That’s actually a good question. They both seem somewhat similar as defenders.

I really don’t think they’re that similar. Sure both are talented undersized D but Casey’s really strong defensively while Hutson isn’t. Also while Casey’s great offensively he wasn’t nearly the gamebreaking force Hutson was last year

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's not out of question that he is the next Ty Smith, but that would be disappointing.

That’s the obvious concerning comparison. Both guys great offensively and pretty strong defenders at lower levels (I do think Casey’s a lot better defensively). Both undersized and technically proficient skaters but lack real pop to their skating. Both are smooth but I do think there’s a level of quickness Casey has that Ty didn’t which will be helpful

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That’s the obvious concerning comparison. Both guys great offensively and pretty strong defenders at lower levels (I do think Casey’s a lot better defensively). Both undersized and technically proficient skaters but lack real pop to their skating. Both are smooth but I do think there’s a level of quickness Casey has that Ty didn’t which will be helpful

There had to be something else going on with Ty Smith. He wasn’t terrible at first but got worse when he should have been improving.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not saying he couldn’t flame out in similar fashion, but his skating is so, so much better than Smith’s that they’re not really good comps for each other. Smith was a lot more filled out too imo.
Smith was always regarded as an exceptional skater with elite edgework as a prospect. It's just that he got to the NHL and well.. it's average because welcome to the NHL.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Smith was always regarded as an exceptional skater with elite edgework as a prospect. It's just that he got to the NHL and well.. it's average because welcome to the NHL.
I get it and don’t disagree- but I’m not talking about how they were regarded.

In reality, Casey is simply a much better skater. Again, doesn’t mean he can’t bust but they are very different players in my opinion.

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Smith weighed 165 at 5'11 in the WHL then started gaining weight to be dense enough to play in the NHL, he slowed down. Casey is 178 at 5'9.5, he shouldn't lose any speed to get to an optimal 183-185.

Reactions: Guadana

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
IMO as a junior player, despite having great edgework, Smith never developed enough shiftiness. He lacked intensity and played at the same pace all game, which was a sufficient pace in the WHL do do really well but exposed him when playing at the U18 and then the U20 international level, where other players’ give-a-shit metre is higher and the intensity ramps up. He could never match that intensity and that’s how he came across in the few NHL games I saw of him also.

Anyways, pace of play and intensity has not been a problem for Casey from what I’ve seen, but that’s only from the U18 tourney and a handful of Wolverines games.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
with how the Devils defense already is I was hoping they would play him a bit at forward again like last season.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Smith was bad skater in nhl. Bad mobility, slow start, awful turnaround. Casey is much better skater, especially on shorter distance. Much better 4 way mobility with the puck.

Herby

Thank You, Team 144
Feb 27, 2002
Wisconsin
I mean, he was rated as a top 3 dman of the draft before his draft year, but fell because he didn't put up gaudy numbers (because he didn't play PP1). I think scouts relied too much on counting stats.

Like, I see no reason why a guy like Quinn Hughes goes top 10 but Casey falls to the 2nd round other than stat watching.

Casey was under-drafted for sure, but he is not really comparable to Quinn Hughes. Hughes has two skills that are 95th-99th percentile in the NHL, his skating and his game sense. Not saying Casey isn't good at either, but just not at the level of Hughes.

I believe if Q Hughes were the same size as L Hughes he would have gone #2 in his draft, behind only Dahlin.

Getting back to Casey, I still think he's got a chance to be a Dan Boyle type player. The game is more open to smaller defenders now than it used to be. There is certainly a chance he fizzles out due to size, but he's got a lot of talent and could help out a teams PP, just have to find him the right type of D partner.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Seems that Casey's development is tracking better than the average top pairing defensemen based on pNHLe since he was drafted. It's a little early for this graphs with so few games played this season

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad