RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
When I watch Jiricek it seems like he tends to throw the puck into these long passing lanes that the other team can easily clog and intercept. I like that he's trying things, but has anyone else seen that?

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When I watch Jiricek it seems like he tends to throw the puck into these long passing lanes that the other team can easily clog and intercept. I like that he's trying things, but has anyone else seen that?

In the few games I've seen, I was struck by that as well.

Reactions: NickH8

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
If he's on the board, this is the guy I want.

A pairing for Luke Hughes and David Jiricek would be straight up vicious.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
I agree, I think Jiricek has a very high ceiling so I'd take him as top dman, although I still feel Nemec is a safer choice to have an NHL career.

Regardless, it's hard to ignore what Jiri has done in a slightly tougher league then Nemec. The biggest thing about Jiricek is his willingness to make a difference, he wants to be an impact player. And everything he does, he does it with energy. Big kid with great offensive/defensive instincts, can play with an edge. Obviously RHD too. True number one defenseman for an organization.

In my opinion, both Nemec/Jiricek are very accomplished and talented players, but it's tough to argue against what Jiricek has been able to do. Certainly not a shot at Nemec who has also been outstanding. I think both easily warrant a top-5 pick this year.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Best Defenseman in the draft imo. I hope Seattle can get their tentacles on him in the draft

Agreed, one of him or Nemec is who I'd love to see. Since the Kraken have already drafted a future 1C / 2C, taking a stud defenseman feels like the best move to begin fleshing the real team out.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I agree, I think Jiricek has a very high ceiling so I'd take him as top dman, although I still feel Nemec is a safer choice to have an NHL career.

Regardless, it's hard to ignore what Jiri has done in a slightly tougher league then Nemec. The biggest thing about Jiricek is his willingness to make a difference, he wants to be an impact player. And everything he does, he does it with energy. Big kid with great offensive/defensive instincts, can play with an edge. Obviously RHD too. True number one defenseman for an organization.

In my opinion, both Nemec/Jiricek are very accomplished and talented players, but it's tough to argue against what Jiricek has been able to do. Certainly not a shot at Nemec who has also been outstanding. I think both easily warrant a top-5 pick this year.

Sounds like the description of Ristolainen as a prospect.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Would be possible only in the scenario where is Nemec not available this year.
I think they are 1A and 1B, and it will ultimately come down to fit. Personally I could see a team like Arizona preferring Jiricek as a Chychrun replacement if they move him, or the Ducks to pair with Drysdale. While a team like Islanders may prefer Nemec, especially with the history of Lubo, and pair him with Dobson.

On another note, will he be healthy for WC?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I think they are 1A and 1B, and it will ultimately come down to fit. Personally I could see a team like Arizona preferring Jiricek as a Chychrun replacement if they move him, or the Ducks to pair with Drysdale. While a team like Islanders may prefer Nemec, especially with the history of Lubo, and pair him with Dobson.

Not sure... came here to find out. His club team is out I think so his next thing would be U18's. Hope he shows up there.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

Should've read the comments and not just the tweet... my bad. Thanks Voo and Antilla

Would he play at the men's worlds instead? I want one of Jiricek or Nemec so badly, but my team has seemingly decided to get its shit somewhat together and screwed our draft lottery position lol

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Can someone break down some things for me and clarify if they are able to?

Essentially Nemec is the more polished and safer pick, but Jiricek brings more upside with a similar floor? What’s the data backing this assumption up if true?

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Can someone break down some things for me and clarify if they are able to?

Essentially Nemec is the more polished and safer pick, but Jiricek brings more upside with a similar floor? What’s the data backing this assumption up if true?
I'd recommend watching the EliteProspects videos for Nemec and Jiricek (called "Let's Watch: Simon Nemec", etc.), they do a good job of isolating and discussing prospects through their shifts.

I don't know how well data can paint the entire picture, but I think it's more about how they go about playing the game. In the HK Nitra games I caught, it seemed to me that Nemec won't always wow you or be flashy, but he can. I think Nemec plays a more well-rounded and calm game compared to Jiricek. I see Jiricek's game as being energetic, maybe borderline chaotic at times, in my viewings of him at least. Not always a great thing of course, evidently will result in more injuries as we have seen, but having that "pop" to his game certainly helps his stock in many people's eyes. Both defenders need work, both great talents. Can't go wrong with either, imo.

Jiricek 9 of 11 points primary and only 3 of 11 are powerplay, just over 18:00 a night for Plzen. Looking through the Extraliga website at their provided analytics, metrics seem to suggest Jiricek is (pretty much) the 3rd most effective defender on their team amongst 8 total defenders that have played significant games/minutes. 3rd most effective for SCF% relative to the 8 defenders on team, 3rd best CF/60 relative to team, 5th best CA/60 relative to team, 4th best CF% relative, tied 2nd highest point productivity by defenseman on team, 2nd highest goals/60 by defenseman on his team, 3rd best SF% relative to team, also given the 3rd highest percentage of minutes, and a ZSR% of 54.07, 73 starts in offensive zone, 62 starts in defensive. Averages about 2:00 on both PP and PK per game. 17 hits 32 blocked shots, and a +/- of 0. All of this just over 18:00ish a game 29 games for Jiricek.

And lastly, there are only two Dman on Plzen to win Player of the Match this year. Their number one dman who plays 23:00 a night only won it 3 times in his 50 games played, Jiricek has been awarded it 4 times in his 29 games played. Might just be a pointless award/media thing but I think it does hold some value in saying something about his impact in Plzen. But there are some stats/data, doesn't say much to me regarding potential but I like to think these numbers backup the fact that he is playing some tough, all situation minutes and he's holding his own/making a difference for his club at such a young age.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012

You do know they are all RHD don't you? That is right! All of them...........Jiricek, Nemec, Drysdale and Dobson..................all RHD

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
You do know they are all RHD don't you? That is right! All of them...........Jiricek, Nemec, Drysdale and Dobson..................all RHD
Oh my! I can’t believe every right handed player plays the right side all the time! It never happens in the NHL, not once in the leagues history. Weegar and Ekblad are a pretty decent pairing, eh?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00