RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Oh my! I can’t believe every right handed player plays the right side all the time! It never happens in the NHL, not once in the leagues history. Weegar and Ekblad are a pretty decent pairing, eh?
Of course you always draft BPA, but you do not draft a guy who plays RHD to switch him to LHD, when he enters the NHL
But gee, you sound like a whiz, so I am sure it will happen...........and you give 2 examples, not just one....nice!

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Oh my! I can’t believe every right handed player plays the right side all the time! It never happens in the NHL, not once in the leagues history. Weegar and Ekblad are a pretty decent pairing, eh?

No but it is extremely rare, since there is always a shortage of Right shots RD almost always play the right side. Other than Weegar can you name another team that consistently has a top 4 RD consistently play the left.

Only one I can think of is Montour used to either Buffalo and still does sometimes with Florida.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Would he play at the men's worlds instead?
He should automatically be gifted that 8 spot for our D... something tells me he'd work his way up that D core (poor) pretty quick and it'd be good to see how he does against adults and with better players around him. Keep in mind that cracking a Czech D top 6 is not that challenging as we have about 20 guys that are all roughly a 6/10 - all different attributes but all kind of weak. Eg. some can skate like the wind, others can block shots and defend, 1 or 2 can put up points. You really gotta moneyball it back there. For years it's been apparant on the Jr's when we see our Top D prospects are miles behind those from Sweden, Canada and US. Then along cames Jiricek and he looks like one of 'those guys' from the other nations. Very unheard of.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
How do you guys feel about this prospect?
Eye-test shows a tall lanky kid who does everything you want out of a defender, including a bomb of a slapshot and pretty impressive speed.

He kinda reminds me of Evan Bouchard, but instead of going "Huh, this guy's kinda slow", it's "Hey, this guy's pretty fast!".

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Eye-test shows a tall lanky kid who does everything you want out of a defender, including a bomb of a slapshot and pretty impressive speed.

He kinda reminds me of Evan Bouchard, but instead of going "Huh, this guy's kinda slow", it's "Hey, this guy's pretty fast!".
He's not getting the love he was earlier in the year when he was potentially 2nd overall, and it seems he's the consensus #2 defenseman behind Nemec.

It sucks he got that injury.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I am a fan of his game.

He is still my first defender off the board ahead of Nemec. Kid has absolutely lethal skating when you think about his size, good shot, good first pas, good hands, is aggressive at defending and can be physical as well. In my opinion, he would be easily in top 3 discussions without his injury(he is still top 3 in my draft board, after Wright and Cooley).

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

I am very impressed with his skillset, I think he has biggest potential out of any defender in this draft

Reactions: SpitfireG

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I think his defensive stick work is very good, doesn’t really get brought up much though

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It's like if Bouchard had the speed and physicality of Darnell Nurse. One hell of a defenseman.

I know he's not as textbook in his gaps and coverage as Nemec but is there any reason to think Jiricek can't learn that stuff? Jiricek is frequently ranked around #8-#12 so that makes me wonder where the skepticism lies. I don't see it yet when I watch the player.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's like if Bouchard had the speed and physicality of Darnell Nurse. One hell of a defenseman.

I know he's not as textbook in his gaps and coverage as Nemec but is there any reason to think Jiricek can't learn that stuff? Jiricek is frequently ranked around #8-#12 so that makes me wonder where the skepticism lies. I don't see it yet when I watch the player.

If he didn't get hurt, he likely ends up above Nemec in the final rankings.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

He's in training camp for World's so he's healthy.. not sure if this is a conditioning thing or if he's got a legit shot at A team. I'm obviously hoping he is 100% and makes the team and makes people reconsider him a little higher in the draft!

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022

He's in training camp for World's so he's healthy.. not sure if this is a conditioning thing or if he's got a legit shot at A team. I'm obviously hoping he is 100% and makes the team and makes people reconsider him a little higher in the draft!

Sweet, was really hoping to get to see him again before the draft. I think he should get a top-6 role for sure on that blueline.

Reactions: Chainshot

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Sweet, was really hoping to get to see him again before the draft. I think he should get a top-6 role for sure on that blueline.
This blue line yes but we got a few guys coming. This is half young D that they are just trying to develop and half old dudes who 'might' make the team.

I'd say the only lock in this group is Knot whom I was opposed to go to the Olympics and then he played really well so egg in my face!

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to be able to watch him...he's the big mystery box for me in the top 10.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I almost wish that he just recovers fully from his injury and takes time off.
But only for my own selfish reasons where he might fall a little and my Devils can pick him Lol. I have Slafkovsky , then Jiricek then Nemec in order of my want list. If for some very unlikely situation comes up where all 3 are still on the board … I have no idea what I’d like the Devils to do. We have massive needs at RHD and a big forward.
Ideal situation - win the lotto and trade down . Someone will be desperate for a C and we really do not.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Well that did not last long. 3 guys can't make it due to health reasons. Ironcially, the only 2 D I was excited about are on the list... life of a Czech hockey fan.lol

Not sure what it means overall about his health or recovery.

Reactions: Goodman68

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think that 2 teams are going to be extremely happy (and other fanbases jealous in 5 or so year) with those teams taking Jiriceck and Denton Mateychuk.

although Denton has been rising lately and I think Jiriiceck would have risen had he not been injured but if he makes the Worlds that could change and both might not be "steals"

Reactions: Czechboy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Well that did not last long. 3 guys can't make it due to health reasons. Ironcially, the only 2 D I was excited about are on the list... life of a Czech hockey fan.lol

Not sure what it means overall about his health or recovery.

I think I can guess what the tweet says, based on your comment, but it would be more helpful if you just told us what it says.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00