RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
His potential is really, really high. Terrific skater for his size, handles/protects the puck very well, hard shot, good instincts. He takes a lot of risks, but they often work out.

Stylistically, he reminds me of Dahlin. Not as good as same-age Dahlin, who was quite the phenom, but plays a similar style of game, and the way they skate and handle the puck is very similar. I think he’s got a legit shot to go as high as 3rd overall.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Ive seen Shea Weber Comparisons and we have Sanderson who’s compared to Suter. Well….

Chabot-Thompson
Sanderson-Jiricek
Kleven-JBD

Very different player to Weber. Much more mobile player, and is far more active in the offensive zone. Way more willing to take risks to create offensive opportunities. Not as good defensively, obviously, or as physical.

Reactions: wetcoast

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Seems like potentially good news about Jiricek - hit looked like it might have been a cruciate tear, but if Bob is right (he usually is), sounds more minor:

Not sure if this has been officially confirmed though? Sucks that we won’t get to see more of him at the WJC, but dodging a major injury here is much more important for his career.

Also, for those who missed it, was a freak accident/awkward collision. He was going for a hit on Cuylle, but it ended up in a knee-on-knee that Jiricek got the worst of:

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Very different player to Weber. Much more mobile player, and is far more active in the offensive zone. Way more willing to take risks to create offensive opportunities. Not as good defensively, obviously, or as physical.

Jiricek to me is the top Dman in the draft this year, just a great set of skills on both sides and the type that translates to playoff hockey as well.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Bad news. Surgery was required in the end and Jiricek is out long term.
As much as i like him, it is his fault he was going for knee on knee hit, hope he recovers without long term consequences. It will propably cost him few spots in draft.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Bad news. Surgery was required in the end and Jiricek is out long term.
Ugh that sucks :(

As much as i like him, it is his fault he was going for knee on knee hit, hope he recovers without long term consequences. It will propably cost him few spots in draft.
Watching the replay, IMO it’s extremely clear he was going for a normal hit, and it just turned out poorly. He did not stick his knee out to “catch” a guy who was otherwise going to dodge the check, they just collided awkwardly. Freak accident, I really don’t think it was the “fault” of either player.

Last edited:

24 others

Jan 30, 2017

Unfortunately.
Local papers talk rather unspecifically about torn ligaments in his knee. That means he might be looking at a 6-month break from hockey.

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
He underwent surgery last week for a torn lateral ligament. Recovery is estimated at 2.5 to 3 months, and his club won't push it.
It's important for his career that the injury heals perfectly.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3