RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not hyperbole that he should've had some points out of that game. He was giving players fantastic looks. He looks like a more agile Power to me. Didn't realize he was so big. I wonder how many more games he can be seen in before the draft?
If he has more games like that playing with men then I don't see why he wouldn't be considered for first pick.

Reactions: GettingYourMoms

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Not hyperbole that he should've had some points out of that game. He was giving players fantastic looks. He looks like a more agile Power to me. Didn't realize he was so big. I wonder how many more games he can be seen in before the draft?
If he has more games like that playing with men then I don't see why he wouldn't be considered for first pick.
If he makes the final WC roster in a top 6 role, then I'm guessing something around 12-15 games.

Reactions: Czechboy

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he makes the final WC roster in a top 6 role, then I'm guessing something around 12-15 games.
That's enough, if he stays healthy. I love getting to see prospects play against men. Exposes some, highlights others.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That's enough, if he stays healthy. I love getting to see prospects play against men. Exposes some, highlights others.
If he makes it.. he'd be in rare air. U20 forwards, sure. U20 D? That's a tough gig especially considering Czech D is generally weaker so he won't have a strong presence to carry him.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I do like the tools. How's his IQ?
IMO it’s a strength. Fast processor, makes good decisions quickly on offence, defence and in transition. Makes smart plays to buy time and space for himself and his teammates. I think his biggest hockey IQ weakness is he’s a bit too shot happy, prone to shooting from the point when there’s a better pass available. But it’s a minor issue, especially since he has a very good shot.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
What exactly is this guys weakness?
Every game or highlight I’ve seen of him he screams elite defender

Why shouldn’t he go first?

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com

For me it's mostly:

a) D-zone positioning/IQ, where Jiricek on some occasion chases guys around the ice, exposing a net front area for far too long. Sometimes he can seem 'lost' in the D-zone, not really knowing where to stand or which guy to cover. But he's improved this part of his game significantly over the course of the season.

b) Overagressivness, which is a trait of his that cuts both ways. You love his effort level and the intensity that he puts into pretty much every play, it's one of the things that makes him so fun to watch. At the same time, it sometimes leads to bad decisions in both zones, where he impatiently puts his mind to pull a risky move or deliver a big hit, even though there's clearly a better play available. But again, I feel like he's gotten much better at this, recently he has been showing much more patience and that he can slow the game down when it comes to it.

b) Minor skating technique issues - People often mention his choppy stride, sometimes awkward pivoting, and stability issues. As far as overall skating goes, he gets the job done fine as a 6'3"guy IMO. He's very shifty and unpredictable with his movement. But there's a room for improvement there for sure.

Potential-wise, there is no better defenseman in this draft class. Personally I'm hoping that whichever team drafts Jiricek will not rush him into the league. He needs 2-3 more years of development in Europe/AHL á la Seider and after that he'll be ready to do some real damage in the big league.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
For me it's mostly:

a) D-zone positioning/IQ, where Jiricek on some occasion chases guys around the ice, exposing a net front area for far too long. Sometimes he can seem 'lost' in the D-zone, not really knowing where to stand or which guy to cover. But he's improved this part of his game significantly over the course of the season.

b) Overagressivness, which is a trait of his that cuts both ways. You love his effort level and the intensity that he puts into pretty much every play, it's one of the things that makes him so fun to watch. At the same time, it sometimes leads to bad decisions in both zones, where he impatiently puts his mind to pull a risky move or deliver a big hit, even though there's clearly a better play available. But again, I feel like he's gotten much better at this, recently he has been showing much more patience and that he can slow the game down when it comes to it.

b) Minor skating technique issues - People often mention his choppy stride, sometimes awkward pivoting, and stability issues. As far as overall skating goes, he gets the job done fine as a 6'3"guy IMO. He's very shifty and unpredictable with his movement. But there's a room for improvement there for sure.

Potential-wise, there is no better defenseman in this draft class. Personally I'm hoping that whichever team drafts Jiricek will not rush him into the league. He needs 2-3 more years of development in Europe/AHL á la Seider and after that he'll be ready to do some real damage in the big league.
No one who drafts him is going to give him 3 years in the minors.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
No one who drafts him is going to give him 3 years in the minors.
I wrote 2-3 years. And they should give him those years for their own good. Playing big minutes as an 18/19 years old NHL defensman is no joke, very few players can do it. And even fewer players can actually look good while doing it. Most young D's take time.

It's not like it's uncommon too. Seider got 2 years, Makar got 2 years, Fox got 3 years, Chabot got 2 years, Liljegren got 3 years, Theodore got 3 years, Bouchard got 2,5 years...

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Missed half a season... The tourney used to help establish this got cancelled. If he had finished the Jr's and played at Olympics it might be a different conversation. Instead we got 1 good period and adios!lol.

I will say I don't think he is on a Makar, power, dahling type level (as much as I hope he will be). I hope I'm dead wrong of course.

Reactions: Goodman68

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Adam Fox lite.
He’s like 5 inches taller than Fox and Fox is elite defensively. I think there might be some similarities with how their puck play, although that’s probably where they end.

The Carlson, Bouchard, Ristolainen comparisons are probably the most apt stylistically.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He’s like 5 inches taller than Fox and Fox is elite defensively. I think there might be some similarities with how their puck play, although that’s probably where they end.

The Carlson, Bouchard, Ristolainen comparisons are probably the most apt stylistically.
Was he pre draft? He developed that way and I think jiricek has the same tools.

Reactions: GettingYourMoms

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
For me it's mostly:

I really like this guy and would love if the Kraken got him.

I also agree that you shouldn't rush prospects(even Beniers stayed another year in college) and I think Francis is a guy that knows this as well.

To me anyone drafting him should keep him at least one more year in Europe(though maybe in a better league like SHL) and then bring him over to start out in their AHL affiliate.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Was he pre draft? He developed that way and I think jiricek has the same tools.

Fox is a genius level IQ.

Legitimately one of the smartest D in the game. It's how he's so unbelievably good despite having below-average size and not being an elite skater.

Jiricek has nowhere near as much hockey sense. In fact, it's probably the biggest question mark with him.

Reactions: ijif and Beckett

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Carlson looks like a good comp to me. I don't like the other two.

Reactions: Beckett

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I see no one agrees on comps. I don't have one. Eg Svozil is a bit like Zidlicky. Hamara reminds me of a Kaberle or Spacek.

My best comparable for Jiricek would be in Jiri Slegr and Pavel Kubina had a child together.lol

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

And his first goal. It's exhibition but that is Sweden and their men's team.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Fox is a genius level IQ.

Legitimately one of the smartest D in the game. It's how he's so unbelievably good despite having below-average size and not being an elite skater.

Jiricek has nowhere near as much hockey sense. In fact, it's probably the biggest question mark with him.
His IQ was so genius at the draft that was he taken 66th overall. It's called development and tools.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

I think he looks a lot like Power.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 1