RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I would probably draft him #2 overall after seeing how he looked coming back from an injury.
Right shot Dman.
He's BIG
Above average skating.
Top 3 shot in his draft class
Great defensively.
Elite offensively.
He's got that nastiness like Pronger.

He's already very tall with long limbs, but he seems like the kind of kid that might even grow a bit more...
I'm with you, I'd take this guy #2.

Imagine if the kid grows another inch, fills out the frame, and continues to work on his skating... if he decides to start taking over games with his elite shot and explosive playing style, he could be the next Cale Makar, but meaner.

Incredible physical attributes for a modern do-it-all defenseman.
Kinda reminds me of a lighter, more agile Pietrangelo. Maybe Darnell Nurse with better offensive abilities?

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He's already very tall with long limbs, but he seems like the kind of kid that might even grow a bit more...
I'm with you, I'd take this guy #2.

Imagine if the kid grows another inch, fills out the frame, and continues to work on his skating... if he decides to start taking over games with his elite shot and explosive playing style, he could be the next Cale Makar, but meaner.

Incredible physical attributes for a modern do-it-all defenseman.
Kinda reminds me of a lighter, more agile Pietrangelo. Maybe Darnell Nurse with better offensive abilities?

I love Jiricek but he is never going to become the next Cale Makar and even meaner.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Stylistically, I think Ekblad, Seider and Erik Johnson are all solid comps. His tools and upside are arguably highest in the draft, though I’m sure most will see some/all of Wright, Nemec, Slafkovsky as safer/more likely to be stars.

I’d take him very high though - top 5, with serious consideration from 2 onwards.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Jiricek on PP again today on Men's national team.

It's only exhibition and it may be more a reflection of Czech D are not that good but he looks pretty good.

Really curious if he makes final nomination. Our new Finn coach seems to like him!

Reactions: NotProkofievian

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I am thinking bigger Makar like somebody else mentioned earlier. But that is mostly just me being overly optimistic about his upside and nobody is gonna be like Makar anyway. He is still my favourite d from this draft. Top 3 d for me being: Jiricek, Nemec, Korchinski.

Jiricek should be valid pick from top 2 onwards.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
I agree I don't really see Nurse. I feel like he's the Mo Seider of this draft. He'll be picked after Nemec but whoever gets him will be thrilled in 2-3 years

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He plays more like Fox-lite than Nurse to me... Nurse is a weird ass comparison.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Comparing Jiricek to Nurse is just mindblowing to me because David is so much more talented at everything except physicality. Jiricek is still the best defenceman in this draft for me, reminds me of John Klingberg/John Carlson type of defender. I think he has Klingberg's mobility and offensive talent, but is already bigger than him concerning body frame. Won't be as good as Carlson is offensively, but matches up with him in terms of frame (I think David is the better skater though).

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Jiricek on PP again today on Men's national team.

It's only exhibition and it may be more a reflection of Czech D are not that good but he looks pretty good.

Really curious if he makes final nomination. Our new Finn coach seems to like him!

I want nothing more as a prospect geek than to watch Jiricek at the WC.

Reactions: Czechboy

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Comparing Jiricek to Nurse is just mindblowing to me because David is so much more talented at everything except physicality. Jiricek is still the best defenceman in this draft for me, reminds me of John Klingberg/John Carlson type of defender. I think he has Klingberg's mobility and offensive talent, but is already bigger than him concerning body frame. Won't be as good as Carlson is offensively, but matches up with him in terms of frame (I think David is the better skater though).
Carlson is horrible defensively. Jiricek is way ahead in that front.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Way ahead of a #1D on an NHL contender, huh?
If you wanna be picky, he is way ahead when it comes to projection. I would not be surprised if he would be lot better defensively in NHL than Carlson has been.

Norris has always been about points, not about defensive ability.

Carlson is similarly really bad when it comes to defense if you think about Erik Karlsson for example.

Reactions: Czechboy

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If you wanna be picky, he is way ahead when it comes to projection. I would not be surprised if he would be lot better defensively in NHL.

Norris has always been about points, not about defensive ability.
Well that's a pretty different thing then. You're saying his ceiling has him having better defense than Carlson. Maybe.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Big game vs Finland for Jiricek last night offensively. Didn't register any points but could have easily had several assists and a goal. Looking more and more confident with every game. I think he's earned a spot on the World Championship roster, especially given there's not much of a competition on the Czech right-handed back end.

Some shifts:

Man he looks good. He screams top 5 pick to me, I'd definitely target him at 3rd if both Wright and Cooley are gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00