RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think NJ needs to start winning a bit more, a Werenski-Jiricek pair is what the hockey world really needs.
I think you guys are all wrong.

Romanov-Jiricek is the answer.

Anyways, doubtful he falls that far if that knee is ok.

You guys can always dream!

Last edited:

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Well back then we just sucked and Lou kept trying to push for the playoffs where he continued to add mediocre old guys instead of rebuilding while also being the worst drafter in the league for a decade. When he was finally gone in 2015 (after giving us his final present of Zacha at 6th…) we were the worst positioned team in the league. An old and awful roster with next to no good young NHL talent, and a bottom tier prospect pool. It’s taken a long time to try and build from absolutely nothing.

19-20 was the first year it looked like things could turn around. That year relied on quite a few question marks like will Jack be able to step in and be really good immediately? Will PK be able to return to form after an offseason to recover? Will Hall be himself again after another knee surgery? Will Gusev be able to adjust and be really good? Will Schneider’s body hold up? None of those question marks really ended up working out so the season crumbled. Last year was a 0 expectation year.

This year the team is nowhere near as bad as the record. The skater group has been average to above average. 5v5’s good. PK’s good. PP is god awful (Recchi’s such a bad PP coach). Goaltending on the other hand is the worst in the league and has destroyed this season. Coming into the year it was actually supposed to be a strength for us. Then Blackwood has offseason surgery with a botched recovery where he never gets back to 100% and is playing injured the whole time he’s playing. He got shut down early January and is only just expected to return to the lineup sometime soon. Bernier got hurt in preseason and then only started 8 games before getting shut down 6 weeks into the year and having season ending hip surgery. So the goaltending for the majority of the season has been 21 year old Akira Schmid (not even just NHL rookie but professional rookie who was in the USHL last year), 20/21 year old Nico Daws (NHL rookie with only prior pro experience to this year being 10 games in the DEL last year), Jon Gillies (career AHLer), Andrew Hammond (career NHL/AHLer tweener), and Scott Wedgewood (another NHL/AHL tweener who happens to be the best of the bunch, we lost on waivers very early in the year when we finally had both Blackwood and Bernier in the lineup and waived him). Goaltending has sunk an otherwise pretty decent team.

Thanks for the write up. As a Flyers Fan I want NJ to take the next step who we can be the ones drafting high end talent for a change, god knows we need it lol

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Thanks for the write up. As a Flyers Fan I want NJ to take the next step who we can be the ones drafting high end talent for a change, god knows we need it lol

Welp I’d have my money on you guys drafting higher than us this year so you’ve got that. I’m even hoping you win the lottery and take Wright/Cooley so you stay away from Jiricek

Reactions: Nabrules

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think you guys are all wrong.

Romanov-Jiricek is the answer.

Anyways, doubtful he falls that far if that knee is ok.

You guys can always dream!

:huh:

Falls to where, the Flames pick? He might be gone before the Habs 1st pick if you're not top 2, if that's what you meant.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Reminds me of Seider during its draft year.

Pretty sure many teams see that as well. Nothing against Nemec, but if that knee healed well, I really like that package (size, shot, physical play).
I'm not going to say that Jiricek is going to follow the same development path as Seider but if you eliminate knowing then what we know now, I'd have taken Jiricek over Seider if they'd have been in the same draft.

Reactions: Doc5 and Hisch13r

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I believe this clip is from december last year? Agree with you about his upside though. :laugh:

Back in action today against Slovakia.
He sames to have a real knack behind nets. In this clip same thing.. draws defender with him behind his own net and makes a move.

I was also confused how he was playing Blumel this week in the Extraliga!lol

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm not going to say that Jiricek is going to follow the same development path as Seider but if you eliminate knowing then what we know now, I'd have taken Jiricek over Seider if they'd have been in the same draft.
Nah. And that’s not even mentioning the knee injury (even if he’s back playing).

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I believe this clip is from december last year? Agree with you about his upside though. :laugh:

Back in action today against Slovakia.
Ramsay thinking back to back medals? It just doesn’t matter with him, put any team in front of him and he gets them to work. Quite a weak Slovak squad was quite dominant defensively today. Samuel Honzek (2023 eligible) is one to watch for sure, didn’t play much but interesting player. Jiricek just under 12 mins of ice time, -1, 1 shot on goal, still working to find his groove post injury.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Going to be a top pairing Dman in the NHL. Some team is going to be very happy to draft him and will wonder how he didnt go top 3 or even top 5.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Such a clunky skater. Like a worse skating, less skilled Ekblad

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Clunky yet effective.

He can look clunky as long as he’s closing gaps like that, recovering like that, and going around the world like that.

Also, mechanics are coachable right? He strikes me as “raw” and I wonder what some refinement can do for him.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
To be honest I haven't seen many 6'3" defensemen to be as agile as Jiricek. His stride is a bit choppy and he might look weird at times, but he moves extremely well out there. Besides, skating is probably the easiest thing to improve for such a player. As far as puck skill goes, he's got tons of it. There are areas of his game where he needs to put some work in, mostly D-zone stuff.

But his hands, passing, shooting and offensive/transition skills in general are just fine. More than fine.

Reactions: majormajor

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So is Nemec clearly a better prospect than Jiricek, or can Jiricek overtake him with a strong finish in the spring and summer?

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
So is Nemec clearly a better prospect than Jiricek, or can Jiricek overtake him with a strong finish in the spring and summer?
If Nemec wasn’t having such a strong playoffs then I would say yes. I think both have concerns and it will come down to what one teams are willing to live with.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $681.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00