Ray Shero Hired By Lamorello To Replace Himself As GM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
We will never know if Shero's draft is what killed us. He wasn't given the chance to let his picks pan out.

We went to back to back finals in 08 - 09. He still was able to pick out Despres and one of the focal points of the Iginla deal. 2010 we are cup contenders, so obviously we are trading for players to add to our roster. He still picked Beau Bennett and Bryan Rust. Two players that should've been given prominent roles this year. 2011 our entire team got hurt. We got Wilson, Harrington, and Morrow. 2012 we drafted DP, Maatta, Sundqivst, and Murray. 2013 we sold the farm and were still able to get Jarry.

Shero's bad drafting is so ****ing over exaggerated on here it is ridiculous.

Next year our line up is most likely going to be

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - X
Spaling - Sutter - Bennett
Wilson - X - Rust

Maatta - Letang
Pouliot - Lovejoy
Scuderi - Cole

So, Bennett, Wilson, Rust, Maatta, Pouliot, and Lovejoy were all drafted or signed as unsigned players by Shero.

Spaling, Hornqvist, Sutter, and Cole were all brought into our system due to Shero moves. He drafted Staal and Bort and made the trade that brought Nisky and Neal into our system.

At the end of the day, Bennett has been outperformed, variously, by the likes of Brian Gibbons, Chuck Kobasew, Lee Stempniak, Jussi Jokinen, Chris Conner, Steve Downie, Andrew Ebbett and Blake Comeau. Castoffs, all of them. Wilson and Rust do not look to have either the skill/athleticism to be top 6 or the anything else to be anything else as of yet, though I suppose there's still time.

That those three are the best Shero could do between the 2nd round in 2006 and the 3rd round in 2012 is why it's going to take the Penguins years to dig out of this mess, even if Rutherford doesn't keep digging, which, so far, he is.

It's also beyond weird that you're somehow crediting Shero with Ian Cole.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Because, letting the kids play was on Shero?

Also, he only handed out three contracts to players over 30.

I really don't want to list the amount of players over 30 the Ducks signed up until this year when they still signed Clayton Stoner and traded picks for a player they are scratching every game.

Again, every mistake DB mad was in Shero for not firing him after the Philly series.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And who's fault is that? You have to draft the prospects before you can wait for them, that's what everyone's criticizing Shero for.

Uh.

Just so you know..

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Bickell - Richards - Kane

Only one of those players was drafted by Stan Bowman

Maroon - Getzlaf - Perry
Beleskey - Kesler - Silfverberg

Only one of those players is drafted by Bob Murray.

But, okay.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
This tendency of refusing to credit the GMs who made trades because they used assets obtained by a previous GM is just bizarre.

I mean, why even talk about Shero and Rutherford? This is fundamentally still a Craig Patrick joint.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Uh.

Just so you know..

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Bickell - Richards - Kane

Only one of those players was drafted by Stan Bowman

Maroon - Getzlaf - Perry
Beleskey - Kesler - Silfverberg

Only one of those players is drafted by Bob Murray.

But, okay.

That's one more than Shero drafted.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Look at the capitals...

Ovechkin(2004,1st) Backstrom(2006,4th) Ward(Should have been Forsberg 2012,11th)
Johansen(2009,24th) Kuznetsov(2010,26th) Chimera
Burakovsky(2013,23rd) Beagle Brouwer
Laich Latta Wilson(2012,16th)

Orpik Carlson(2008,27th)
Alzner(2007,5th) Niskanen
Gleason Green(2004,29th)

That's impressive drafting.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Look at the capitals...

Ovechkin(2004,1st) Backstrom(2006,4th) Ward(Should have been Forsberg 2012,11th)

Orpik Carlson(2008,27th)
Gleason Green(2004,29th)

And the guy who did it all lost his job.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Look at the capitals...

Orpik Carlson(2008,27th)
Gleason Green(2004,29th)

The Capitals have not made it out of the second round in the cap era, but they draft well!

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
What killed the caps for so long was crappy coaching and goaltending. BB couldn't reign ovechkin in, Hunters heart wasnt in it, and oates is just an idiot.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Hey Ray want another do-over with Scuderi? He's cheap! Two-time Cup Champ. Gamer! Great Team Guy!

Kunitz too!

All we require are your 2nd and 3rd round picks this year. And New Jersey's best scout.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Congrats Ray. He did some good things, some not so good things. He was still a decent GM and I hope he does well in NJ (not too well).

Always will wonder on a couple things and how this team would look like. One if he fired Bylsma after the Philly series (that was his ultimate downfall) and the rumored Letang trade he wasn't allowed to make. Does someone remember what it allegedly was? (I know a top 5 pick was involved).

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Congrats Ray. He did some good things, some not so good things. He was still a decent GM and I hope he does well in NJ (not too well).

Always will wonder on a couple things and how this team would look like. One if he fired Bylsma after the Philly series (that was his ultimate downfall) and the rumored Letang trade he wasn't allowed to make. Does someone remember what it allegedly was? (I know a top 5 pick was involved).

Considering madden said it I think it was just bs at this point.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You keep bringing up JR's shortcomings and failures as if I've defended him or praised him. I want the entire front office gutted, and have since the moment the Despres deal went down. That was a fireable offense in itself. JR's tenure here is just more of the same old ******** we've seen since the summer of '09.

But again, just because JR is an incompetent fool doesn't have any bearing on the fact that Shero left us with this mess. I don't care what other GMs do, we're talking about Shero. He was an unmitigated disaster for the last 5+ years that he was here. I genuinely do not understand how you don't see or acknowledge that. :laugh: No GM in the league could have come in and fixed the countless issues with this team in one calendar year. Not one. JR's been awful, but nobody could have fixed this disaster.

If you're going to criticize anyone in any job, you have to compare them to their peers. You can't just look at a professional in a vacuum and expect perfection. Every GM makes mistakes, and most of them made worse mistakes than Shero with fewer coups.

Shero was a disaster in the last 5 years? He made arguably the best trade in the NHL over that period - Gogs for Neal and Nisky. He also bolstered the defense with Martin, and acquired quality players like Jokinen and Vokoun for a song.

His last couple years fell off, but 5 years? No way.

Shero left such a mess that it's going to take us a couple of years of good, insightful, smart changes to even begin to get back on our feet. The fact that we have JR and Shero's idiotic cronies at the helm suggests that it's going to be even longer than that.

Then compare Shero's track record to prospective GMs you'd like to see hired.

We didn't take the Rangers to 7 games. They took us to 7 games after we blew a 3-1 lead.

Semantics. It was 7 games in the 2nd round, which is better than 5 in the 1st where we're struggling to put up a deuce in every game.

And did nothing in the way of helping this team win when he wasn't scoring. More so the opposite.

Fat lot of good all our hard work did this series. We can't score, man.

Until they start deciding games based on sweat equity and Corsi alone, we need to find a way to do that.

There's a difference between "poor decisions clouding judgement" and "atrocious decisions that have affected this team and will continue to do so." A big one. :laugh:

I doubt it. Just because this team is run by a bunch of idiots doesn't make Shero any less of a fraud.

We'll see. Judging from people's reluctance to actually compare what Shero did to other GMs, I don't see a much better one coming into the fold anytime soon.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Hey Ray want another do-over with Scuderi? He's cheap! Two-time Cup Champ. Gamer! Great Team Guy!

Kunitz too!

All we require are your 2nd and 3rd round picks this year. And New Jersey's best scout.

Yep and they can add them to their likely top UFA signing Craig Adams.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
We'll see. Judging from people's reluctance to actually compare what Shero did to other GMs, I don't see a much better one coming into the fold anytime soon.

This has and always will be my main point. We fired Shero with basically nobody to replace him.

A team as badly managed as the Oilers at least waited for a guy like Chia to be available, randomly got the McDavid pick and then pounced.

We basically backed ourselves into a corner where the only two GMs we could sign were Rutherford or Pierre.

Now we are out Despres, our first rounder, a 2nd in 2016 and a fourth for Lovejoy and a first round exit. Shero would've never let that happen and 2011 is the perfect example. He made a move for the future and traded a 7th rounder for a "top six" player to give us a chance.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This has and always will be my main point. We fired Shero with basically nobody to replace him.

A team as badly managed as the Oilers at least waited for a guy like Chia to be available, randomly got the McDavid pick and then pounced.

We basically backed ourselves into a corner where the only two GMs we could sign were Rutherford or Pierre.

Now we are out Despres, our first rounder, a 2nd in 2016 and a fourth for Lovejoy and a first round exit. Shero would've never let that happen and 2011 is the perfect example. He made a move for the future and traded a 7th rounder for a "top six" player to give us a chance.

Chia would have been a good get. But we hitched our wagon to Rutherford, because apparently all our shortcomings this year were due to injuries.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Chia would have been a good get. But we hitched our wagon to Rutherford, because apparently all our shortcomings this year were due to injuries.

Not mention the fact that a bunch of amazing veteran coaches are available, but we are going to stick to the guy that completely neutered our offense so that............

Oh, and he continues to play vets like Scuds and Kunitz over players like Despres and Bennett.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I think it's not a good fit. A GM who only knows how to draft defencemen goes to the team with the most defensively stacked prospect pool in the league. They don't have any decent forwards

DirtyJerzey

Oct 19, 2013
im reading these posts and i dont know if i should be happy or scared lol oh well we are going to find out soon enough lol

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I think it's not a good fit. A GM who only knows how to draft defencemen goes to the team with the most defensively stacked prospect pool in the league. They don't have any decent forwards

Shero won't take a job where there are young forwards. He's idealogically opposed to them.

So for the Shero fan club, I assume you're offering odds that Ray is going to draft a forward at the six spot, or wherever NJD are drafting?

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Shero won't take a job where there are young forwards. He's idealogically opposed to them.

So for the Shero fan club, I assume you're offering odds that Ray is going to draft a forward at the six spot, or wherever NJD are drafting?

Didn't we have young forwards when he came here?

His first pick with us was J. Staal too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad