Rate Brad Treliving's TDL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How did Brad do this TDL?

• A+

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • A

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • A-

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • B+

Votes: 28 9.1%
  • B

Votes: 52 16.9%
  • B-

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • C+

Votes: 33 10.7%
  • C

Votes: 34 11.1%
  • C-

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • D

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • F

Votes: 48 15.6%

• Total voters

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I went with b-

didn’t throw away any real assets of value, got tougher up front and on the back end, focussed on what the team needs more of

Didn’t hit any home runs, but looking at the players who got traded, there wasn’t a home run for him to hit anyway

Cap space is a restriction on this team, and I don’t want to spend good assets on mercenaries like RoR or Foligno.

We are playing the bruins, we can play with them in a skill level, but not on a physical level, and our guys are intimidated by those Boston bitches

Hopefully dewar and edmundson help Matthews Marner, Nylander and Tavares feel like they don’t need to shrink away and they can play their game

Reactions: Ports and leafers

Strangle

May 4, 2009
If 2 months ago one of us suggested "Lyubushkin, Edmundson, Dewar and some college kid for 6 draft picks" in the rumours thread we would have been severely tarred and feathered. Absolutely laughed at.

This was a dreadful deadline and the only reason I didn't give Tree an F is because he didn't trade our 1st rounder.

What’s a ‘dreadful deadline’ about it to you?

I mean, what would have made it not dreadful? I’m confused about what people’s expectations are here. The leafs have less than a league minimum salary in cap space.

I mean, I’d be excited too if Tre moved on from one of the core, creating cap space and bringing in a couple stud defensemen, but maybe Calgary didn’t want Marner? St. Louis didn’t trade their defenseman, so no idea if that rumour was even possible.

The leafs didn’t put any of their big salaries on LTIR before the deadline, they can’t just bring in $15m in salary like Vegas did

And even if they did, this team is absolute dog shit against Boston or Florida anyways, they can’t beat those teams in a 7 game series with or without ‘biggest name that got traded today’

And until the top players on the team can show that help can actually help them, and not just be a waste (by beating some playoff teams) what’s even the point? Just throw value out the window because fans get excited about the trade deadline?

Reactions: HolyCrap

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
We've actually produced a pretty good crop of talent for a contending team even without our top picks (Liljegren, Knies, Robertson, Cowen, and Minten). Thats what contending teams do.

Just so you know, most of the current Stanley cup favourites have the same or less picks than the Leafs moving forward. It's what happens when you're a contending team.

Contending teams win more than one playoff round in 5 years.

The Leafs have been spending out the arse to "contend" for a quick second round exit.

It'd be great if we could at least accept the fact that the Dubas-era and his way of doing this was an absolute failure but it seems like posters like you aren't quite there yet.

Contending he says :laugh:

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
He is no better than Dubas but Dubas is the worst GM we have had in a long long time. He blew what could have been an awesome rebuild. He got the Leafs no closer to a cup then any of the GM’ over the last 20 years

Dubas went all in the last 5 years and all it did is burn assets and picks. This core has shown that they are not worthy of all in.

Kyle Dumbass left the franchise in an absolute mess - - no draft picks, no prospects, no cap room, no playoff success - - and now Treliving has to clean up the disaster that Dumbass created.

Brodie is finally off the books next year, so there’s $5M to properly spend on a useful player or two.

And then when the Leafs can finally shed the Tavares boat anchor, they’ll finally be ready to construct a hockey team with a capable GM like Treliving.

The best part about this deadline was watching Dumbass shit his pants in Pittsburgh and get completely ripped off. Again.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Interesting thread. When I look at the roster the need is pretty clear from an outsiders perspective. They needed at least one top 4 defenseman capable of playing top 6 competition. Same need as Edmonton. Neither team got them. The price paid for Tanev and Hanifin certainly weren't prohibitive. Tanev was likely an extension candidate at the end of the season.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
all year people here said the klingberg deal didn't matter and wasn't even much of a mistake because it didn't count against the cap, and then we did nothing with the cap space, and paid extra picks to teams to retain salary on depth guys making nothing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
C+ 2 thingsw can be true and I believe that they are.

#1 The Leafs are better today than they were 48 hours ago, they are ,bigger and deeper on defense and they added a young PK forward who has 10 goals this year so he's not completelt useless offensively, they are without question a betterf team today than they were 48 hours ago.

#2 not enough was done, I'm fine with the fact that they didn't move the 1st round pick, I said that for weeks if not months,

now you have that1st.at to either use to add another good prospect to our system or you have that as a trade chip to use at the draft to acquire a more significant piece either one is fine by me.

However when I look at some the deals that were made, specifically the Tyler Toffoli deal I can't help but wonder how they couldn't beat that.

Tyler Toffoli was essentally given away for scraps, the Devils didn't even get a 1st rounderr you can't convince me that Treliving couldn't have topped that even without moving the 1st roundrr.

If that is what the Devils were going to give him away for you probably could have taken all the picks you traded for Bosh, Edmunson Dewar and Webber and packaged them and gotten Toffoli3.

Again I don't mind keeping the 1st, and in a vacum I don't hate any of the moves that he did make, in fact I like them all, because he added 3 d men, all of them 6"2 or bigger, that's a theme that I like by the way, keep doing that.

I just look at some of the moves that were made particularly the Toffoli move and I think more could have and should have been done.

he gets a C+ from me he did OK. maybe you could even say he did good but he could have done better.

Reactions: torontoblood

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
anyway clearly it's not worth going all in until we get back the cap space currently being consumed by Tavares, Brodie, Marner, etc, so we can use it to fill out the rest of the roster with good players. also no good players make it to UFA anyway, so if we sign someone for 4-5m on 1 July 2025 that is obviously and immediately unplayable, it won't really be a mistake, first because only dregs are available in UFA, and second because we can probably get the cap space back if we need it

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
But why did you trade more picks to retain salary, Tre? Why did you trade more picks to retain salary?
1709976095949.png

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
B-/C+. About what I expected. Couple of depth pickups, nothing remarkable but he didn't trade away any of the organizations better assets.

I would have preferred if he stood pat since I don't think this team really has a shot in hell but that wasn't realistic.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
F

I'd rather have Guentzel than all the guys Treliving brought in combined. The return for Guentzel was pretty lackluster. Treliving almost certainly could have matched it.

That's not even mentioning missing out on his primary acquisition targets in Tanev and Hanifin.

He failed to get the players he wanted. He settled on other players of lesser quality. And he paid a pretty big price to add a bunch of guys who don't move the needle.

If that's not a failing grade then I don't know what is.
There's this thing called context that exists in the real world that doesn't exist in video games.

PLEASE explain to me why dubas would deal guentzel to us in a trade after what just went down. I'll wait. And no, the leafs couldn't have beat that offer unless they were attaching 1st +++

It has already been established that Calgary's owner was being petty and making sure teams like Toronto, Edmonton, Canucks etc would have to pay extra to acquire tanev. You want to throw a 1st at another rental for a first round exit?

And you mentioning hanifin too just proves youre not following much of what's going on. He wanted to go to like 3 teams (Vegas being one). Calgary could get close to a deal and then his agent would poison it telling the other teams he would have zero interest in re-signing. He would have never stayed here.

I would have just rather seem him add one of boosh/Edmunson, not both. But I take this deadline over the shit dubas did the past 5 years all day.

You live and die by your star players. Until Matthews, marner and nylander show they have the ability to take over a single series and carry this team to a win, I'm not spending any premium assets on rentals. They can kick rocks until that happens. Enough babying them and throwing away all our assets for a single round win.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I swear to God if you were to just listen to the media and some people on this site, you would believe it is impossible to do anything in the playoffs, or win a round without blowing your entire draft capital every year.

You know how many picks BOTH Vegas and Florida used last year at the deadline? Like 2. The highest pick either team traded was a 2nd. Florida made zero moves.

horner

May 22, 2007
In the 2 Boston games Mathew's Marner and Nylander had there worst games of the season.
1st game
We hit 4 poat
puck laying on the line
nobody showed up in that game

2nd game
Nylanders toe drag at the blueline Boston goal
Marner wide open net No Goal
PP1 SUCKED
The core didn't show up everyone else did

If the core doesn't show up and learn that in the playoffs you need to play a safer game , then it won't matter who you bring in..

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
I swear to God if you were to just listen to the media and some people on this site, you would believe it is impossible to do anything in the playoffs, or win a round without blowing your entire draft capital every year.

You know how many picks BOTH Vegas and Florida used last year at the deadline? Like 2. The highest pick either team traded was a 2nd. Florida made zero moves.
This core has repeatedly shown what they're made of in the regular season and the playoffs. There is no reason for anyone to have any confidence whatsoever in them. And for the most part nobody does.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
This core has repeatedly shown what they're made of in the regular season and the playoffs. There is no reason for anyone to have any confidence whatsoever in them. And for the most part nobody does.
Exactly. Throwing away premium assets after what we have seen is foolish. Wait until there appears to be a change or shift before committing to doing that. That should have always been the approach, but Dubas was so desperate for a series win for some reason.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
I think with the soft and sloppy D they would have been rolled on in the playoffs. And I actually feel the two guys they added make them better or as least less likely to get bitch slapped. Just not sure they spent quite enough to give the club a real shot. Like maybe there was something of value somewhere in between a Tanev and a Boosh but maybe not. Whatever happens, they still might have a shot at Tanev, Walker or Roy this summer with no outbound assets and to a thin organization maybe that's the right thing to do, even if it means a half assed run in the playoffs this year.
Maybe... but we still sent a lot of picks out for marginal upgrades, some of which who may not even play. Sure, no first and no prospect, but let's not pretend we didn't empty the cupboard even more than it was either.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Make this core have playoff success on their own before going all in again. We went all in last year and they folded like a cheap tent against Florida. This wasn't the team to empty the cupboards for. I give it like a B. Added some decent depth pieces around the outside of the roster.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

And Vegas may not make the playoffs this year. Wouldn’t that be something?

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
And Vegas may not make the playoffs this year. Wouldn’t that be something?
….if there is a hockey God….

I’m happy with the moves. Dewar is controllable at the teams option, and both Eddy and Boosh are kind of auditioning for fit to hang around. Those guys plus Benoit and McCabe set us up a bit to at least start having a gritty back end.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Can't trade Matthews, Tavares, Marner or Nylander as they have NTC. The only thing you can do is let Tavares and Marner walk. They won't let Marner walk, Mitchy will get every cent he asks for.

The only real change to the core happens after next season when Tavares either retires or signs in Buffalo/Ottawa.
This conception of "can't" is misconstrued. Just because they have a NTC doesn't mean it can't happen.

And for the record, I'm very much against trading matthews. Also, after next year I hope they're able to keep Tavares at a discount. As for mitch and willy, in a perfect world they would be dealt in such a trade as Winnipeg got for PLD.. a few good middle 6 wingers and possibly a draft pick to restock the cupboards.

Again, this is fantasy land for me.. but also not out of the realm of possibility.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Needed another RHD. Anyone who could push Lily out of the lineup.

Rielly Lyubushkin
Benoit McCabe
Brodie Edmundson
Gio/Lily/Gio

--------------------------

Rielly Lyubushkin
Edmundson McCabe
Brodie Lily
Benoit/Gio/Benoit

Either way the pairings are f***ed.

Protecting a future 3rd liner is insane. The rest should be protected.
Are you a pro scout? How do you know for sure he's a 3rd liner? I swear, the takes on hf are brutal and premature most of the time

Reactions: Strangle

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
….if there is a hockey God….

I’m happy with the moves. Dewar is controllable at the teams option, and both Eddy and Boosh are kind of auditioning for fit to hang around. Those guys plus Benoit and McCabe set us up a bit to at least start having a gritty back end.
We obviously want Vegas in the playoffs and it’s great when they go on a run, but I think they took themselves completely out of contention this week.
Next year they will probably be a favorite again.

Depending on how Marner’s audition goes they may have lots of money to add a couple of top end D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad