Rate Brad Treliving's TDL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How did Brad do this TDL?

• A+

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • A

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • A-

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • B+

Votes: 28 9.1%
  • B

Votes: 52 16.9%
  • B-

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • C+

Votes: 33 10.7%
  • C

Votes: 34 11.1%
  • C-

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • D

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • F

Votes: 48 15.6%

• Total voters

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
IMO the highest priority, by far, was improving the penalty killing. It certainly appears that Tre recognized this, because all three of the acquisitions should help. But until the new players are integrated into the lineup and the penalty kill actually improves, the grade has to be "incomplete".

Reactions: Al14 and Strangle

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Seems like unless there's a shiny draft pick number, some people don't seem to remember value given up in trades, but Barbashev cost the player Vegas had recently drafted in the 1st round, and was much more than a complimentary player in their run.
Dean doesnt move the needle like a Knies/Cowan lol. He might play in the NHL at some point but hes not a needle mover at all. I wouldnt give up a 1st rounder for him, and doubt anyone would. Again, Florida didnt do anything (after the year before they did everything) and Vegas made a good smart simple trade that worked out in spades. Also, Vegas was already in a position that they knew their team could actually compete and win rounds in the playoffs.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Here is a piece of trivia that I found interesting. Since 1989, can you name the teams that have won the Stanley Cup without having at least one player on the roster who had won the Cup previously? (Edmundson became the only player on the Leafs current team with a cup ring.) The answer is below:

• Wow
Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not to mention last year with Boston adding Orlov and Bertuzzi.

I think on the overdrive they were talking about how teams in the east didn't really do any significant adds. Flordia with Tarasenko may be the only one in terms of "big name" addition as they've been spending on the TDL for a while

I mean at least from Leafs perspective, IMO, eventually you gotta just take a couple steps back to move 16 steps forwards (or 16 wins ;)).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I hope you're right, but I don't see it given the state of each team's specialty teams. The B's know how to work the officiating far better than the Leafs do, and I see that being the main difference.
Most series come down to special teams, PK is where we really need the goalie to step up.
Agreed though, if they lose the special teams battle they most likely lose the series.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So far the poll results seem to suggest (if we combing - and + for a single letter)

A: 9.4%
B: 37%
C: 31.2%
D: 5.9%
F: 16.5%

I wonder how many massive dubas fans voted the F versus genuinely feel like F :laugh:

Jokes aside it seems the distribution seems to be skewed around B to C more

Reactions: LeafSteel and egd27

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I hope you're right, but I don't see it given the state of each team's specialty teams. The B's know how to work the officiating far better than the Leafs do, and I see that being the main difference.
There is no doubt that in that arena they have an advantage. The refs cave to those fans over and over. This advantage is not present in Toronto. In fact it almost works against us there too..

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What I like about his moves are they all addressed the needs of the team instead of being the sexy name and winning in the TDL.
As how often does the team that win the TDL or got for the best players at TDL end up winning or going deep?

Interesting question
- From what I can recall (and people free to correct me), all the recent cup winners and/or conference finals teams usually have their "core players" perform and take them ahead instead of any "new additions"

Recent Cup Winners:
- VGK
- Avs
- Bolts x 2
- Blues
- Caps
- Pens x 2
- etc...

(VGK an only exception I think with cap circumvention and bolts with Kucherov); other than that I don't think other teams added "difference makers" at the TDL. They added help for their needs. The difference makers were their core players.

I don't understand why Leafs need to add "difference makers" and not ask their core to be it and be the only team in the league to do so. Is dubas' ghost still hanging around at MLSE LOL :laugh:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I swear to God if you were to just listen to the media and some people on this site, you would believe it is impossible to do anything in the playoffs, or win a round without blowing your entire draft capital every year.

You know how many picks BOTH Vegas and Florida used last year at the deadline? Like 2. The highest pick either team traded was a 2nd. Florida made zero moves.

oh don't let the "FACTS" get in the way of the narratives

:laugh:

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
I gave him an A
Can't afford to trade any 1st rd picks for at least the next 3 seasons.
This season the Leafs were always going to be handcuffed trade deadline moves wise because of lack of draft capital, cap space and roster spots on big team available.
This offseason will be huge changes to the Leafs roster with players like Brodie, Tavares, Giordano and many others will not be with the Leafs in the coming 24 -25 season... This is when Treliving will officially put his stamp as GM of this team.

Reactions: Ports

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Most series come down to special teams, PK is where we really need the goalie to step up.
Agreed though, if they lose the special teams battle they most likely lose the series.
Da teams are pretty close now after TDL .. I think we will be able to push them around this year even with da sissy core .. our D core got a lot better to withstand da hard forecheck .. i think you will see JT fight back hard this series too as he knows he's close to finished and maybe his last kick at can .. but you are 100% right bottom line it will come down to tending .. in a 6/7 game series one of these 4 tenders will carry his team .. i think Sammy will start and he may even finish off bruins himself but if he loses his mental health then Woll will finish them off .. Ullmark is a playoff sieve like Freddy .. and Swayman is darn good but in back of his head he knows Woll has beaten him in every match I have seen them play against each other as they both played up with 97s (until this past week) since they were about 10 years old .. Bulldog knows he is 2nd best .. Woll is just getting his conditioning back this week .. if it was me I would have played Sammy this week but Keefer is likely not aware of history between 2 tenders .. but it is gonna be a very tough grind it out series and likely decided by PPs .. Brodie on 3rd pair is our weak point but lets hope he can muster up one last fight with everything he has got .. Lily won't see any game action against Bruins and/or cats he just can't handle da forecheck

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I know that some people are disappointed that Treliving don't trade for a RH d, but I believe that if Treliving had traded for one, it wasn't going to make a huge difference. When Keefe said "he doesn't know who to trust anymore", It's a group issue, and bring in one person is not going to change much.

Interesting observation. I didn't even think about this one. Good point!

Reactions: the real Fox mulder

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Dubas would have traded the 1st round pick for a guy who is cooked.
Dubas would’ve turned a buyers market into a sellers marketer real quick

He’d have paid 1st + for tanev and we’d have gio 2.0 all over again

I don’t mind the moves he made, but he hasn’t really done anything of significance

C+

Reactions: Al14

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So far the poll results seem to suggest (if we combing - and + for a single letter)

A: 9.4%
B: 37%
C: 31.2%
D: 5.9%
F: 16.5%

I wonder how many massive dubas fans voted the F versus genuinely feel like F :laugh:

Jokes aside it seems the distribution seems to be skewed around B to C more
Or how many non leaf fans voted f because you know there's always people lurking here lol.

Like thread on mainboard has a bunch of people saying the leafs were tdl losers today 🤣

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Yet on this site you will find very few posters that wish to trade any of them.

Seems kinda strange to me, almost like people don't care if they win.

I can explain this.

A lot of posters are newer fans who haven’t had to say good bye to their heroes yet, they don’t understand that players come and players go and all that ever remains is the crest on the front of the jersey. For a hundred years players have worn that sweater, many, many different players.

They don’t understand because maybe they came into this team when Matt stajan was our top center, and now they see Nylander and can imagine how the team could ever function without him. Or they see Marner and can’t believe that the team could ever be better by moving on from him.

They have to actually go through a real blockbuster hockey trade, or go through the pain of letting a talented UFA walk before they’ll understand that Marner is replaceable, Nylander is replaceable, even Matthews is replaceable.

Maybe not directly, you might not find another 60+ goal scoring center. But maybe you find a vezina winning conn Smyth winning goaltender?

Or you find a true number 1 stud defenseman and a partner for him that gives you a 1st pairing that gives other teams fits in the playoffs.

The point I’m making is that I think fans have a mental block where they don’t understand how hockey teams (or sports teams in general) actually work.

The players come and go. Don’t fall into the trap of being a fan of the players before you’re a fan of the team.

Dubas was one of them, I think. Shanny might be too. I don’t think Tre is though.

So saddle up, fans who haven’t been fans for much longer than 10 or 11 years. Get ready for the thrashing and reeeeeee’ing when Tre decides enough is enough and moves some of the big 4 or even rielly.

Let the hate and the pain flow through you, and then get ready to make real runs at lord Stanley’s Cup.

Or how many non leaf fans voted f because you know there's always people lurking here lol.

Like thread on mainboard has a bunch of people saying the leafs were tdl losers today 🤣

You can see that, right? I wish someone would go through them all and call them out in here, publicly

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
The Leafs haven't had a good blueline for the entire cap era. It's embarrassing and they seem to have no interest in finding a capable one.

Another trade deadline of punting on the issue, they'll do the same in this summer.

Leafs abandoned the rebuild to chase a playoff exit at the hands on Washington when they should have been trying to get assets to land Makar the best RDH prospect but they kept their own rentals in JVR and Bozak rather than turn them into picks which would have been trade capital to land Makar. Instead they made the playoffs got torched and then declared victory when Liljegren fell.
n alone for the last decade.

Every time a guy like Josh Mason, Montour, H. Lindholm, Hanifin, Hamilton or maybe give up a 1st for Taven when he was a Canuck and Rielly wouldn't have bee GM Treliving' is supposed to be the guy to fix the D. He couldn't get Hanifin?

Even if they can't extend Hanifin they at least get a look at what this team looks like with two good defensemen, not to mention actually going on a run.

This market is so starved that everyone pretended that Luke Schenn was a great.

It's not the big four's contracts ruining this team, it's Brad overpaid Bertuzzi, Domi and Kampf that are dead cap weight and iced the same blueline that isn't good enough to win.

This season is a repeat of what we've seen for 8 years. Cue the summer of 'what does this team need' and the knee jerk 'just trade Marner or Nylander before his extension kicks in' when they aren't the problem, in fact the big three carry a lot of dead weight.

The questions will remain. What do the Leafs need? Is it a goaltender? Well Leafs have never tried giving the core an elite goaltender, Leafs were too saavy to try that experiment once in the last 8 years? Is it another horse on the blueline? Who knows we settle for cutesy cap hit blueliners like McCabe that are ok but not significant. 8 years of not addressing these issues means they'll remain clueless this last season.

If Treliving isn't going to do anything to make this team better during their window why is he here? Enough wasting time with this core they have to get better.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Anyone who thinks this team gets a savior at the deadline that’s going to lead the core to the promised land is a dreamer.

The saviors have been here for 8 years. If they can’t do it, you need to move on from them

Nobody knows this better that I do

why?

<<<<<<<<<<<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

;)

:laugh:

• Love
Reactions: Strangle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad