Rate Brad Treliving's TDL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How did Brad do this TDL?

• A+

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • A

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • A-

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • B+

Votes: 28 9.1%
  • B

Votes: 52 16.9%
  • B-

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • C+

Votes: 33 10.7%
  • C

Votes: 34 11.1%
  • C-

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • D

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • F

Votes: 48 15.6%

• Total voters

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I can understand being concerned or having some doubts. But no, I think people who proclaim we aren’t beating a team like Boston, like the result is already determined are in fact being dramatic quite frankly.
It's wild how two regular season games can apparently be so definitive. I think the playoff series between these two teams will be much different than the last two games.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
B-

Added depth physical players on D and 4th line
Didn’t give up the first for a rental.
Kept top prospects.

I like the new depth on D, we’ll need it. Also hope Edmundson is still an SOB in the playoffs. Lyabushkin is like a Schenn lite but with better speed.

Honestly don’t know much about Dewar but if he shores up our PK and plays with the advertised snot, he’ll be a great add for the playoffs. He’ll drop em if needed too. Boosts the deadline grade from a C+ to a B-

At the end of the day, the team still lives and dies with the core, no additions except maybe a Saros or Parayko would move the needle on the weight on their shoulders.

Those type of additions would be costly, like the 1st rounder Cowan, Robertson or Knies

Who’s to say they were available for that price. Maybe the players just weren’t there at our budget.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What I like about his moves are they all addressed the needs of the team instead of being the sexy name and winning in the TDL.
As how often does the team that win the TDL or got for the best players at TDL end up winning or going deep?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
If 2 months ago one of us suggested "Lyubushkin, Edmundson, Dewar and some college kid for 6 draft picks" in the rumours thread we would have been severely tarred and feathered. Absolutely laughed at.

This was a dreadful deadline and the only reason I didn't give Tree an F is because he didn't trade our 1st rounder.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If 2 months ago one of us suggested "Lyubushkin, Edmundson, Dewar and some college kid for 6 draft picks" in the rumours thread we would have been severely tarred and feathered. Absolutely laughed at.

This was a dreadful deadline and the only reason I didn't give Tree an F is because he didn't trade our 1st rounder.

Exactly what I’m thinking. People don’t want to give up a 1st rounder for a defenseman that could actually make a difference, but why wouldn’t you want to go for it when we only have so many years left with Matthews and Marner in their prime. Like we just added slightly tougher versions of players we already have on the bottom pair and 4th line, don’t see how this makes a difference at all.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Didn't put us any closer to winning the cup, he's far worse than Dubas. People will realise in short order.
He is no better than Dubas but Dubas is the worst GM we have had in a long long time. He blew what could have been an awesome rebuild. He got the Leafs no closer to a cup then any of the GM’ over the last 20 years

Exactly what I’m thinking. People don’t want to give up a 1st rounder for a defenseman that could actually make a difference, but why wouldn’t you want to go for it when we only have so many years left with Matthews and Marner in their prime. Like we just added slightly tougher versions of players we already have on the bottom pair and 4th line, don’t see how this makes a difference at all.
Dubas went all in the last 5 years and all it did is burn assets and picks. This core has shown that they are not worthy of all in.

Reactions: Leterman

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I gave a C.

Sober decisions made by what was available with the means available.

A better grade would have been given if we outpaced our competition, but we didn't, because we couldn't.

I think from the summer through to today, Treliving's earned an A.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
It's wild how two regular season games can apparently be so definitive. I think the playoff series between these two teams will be much different than the last two games.
Thats a safe bet. They just haven't shown the ability to play with the Bruins. A bunch of really ordinary Bruins look like all stars against the Leafs.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
He did not go out and make a splash but he brought in some depth and snot nose guys.

I like dewar one of the best 4th liners in the league and he’s a PK monster which the leafs have struggled with .

I think he over paid for Lyubushkin , seeing that price tag and what other teams got in return for their players makes me think the ducks had a strong offer else where and Treliving overpaid to get the deal done.

Joel edmonson is Meh , He’s not the same player he was , Hope the best for him for our teams sake.

we lost laggesson , meh .

But we didn’t give up our 1st round pick for a rental which I like , I’m hoping in the summer we are able to use that pick + a prospect to bring in some help for our back end .

To me he get’s a B- , Didn’t make a splash , Brought in some depth , got us a good 4th liner PKer , big strong D men no one special . It was mid trade deadline for Him so hes getting a Mid grade

Reactions: torontoblood

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He is no better than Dubas but Dubas is the worst GM we have had in a long long time. He blew what could have been an awesome rebuild. He got the Leafs no closer to a cup then any of the GM’ over the last 20 years

Dubas went all in the last 5 years and all it did is burn assets and picks. This core has shown that they are not worthy of all in.

Lol sounds like a winning mindset for sure. Our best players are 26/27 years old now. No better time to go all in.

Reactions: leafs in five

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
We paid basically nothing to get the current group table stakes for the playoffs.

Tre didn't do too much because he couldn't so not much to grade here other than we got responsible management. Which perhaps gets an A these days out of relief.

I'm sure he kicked the tires on players like Parayko and Saros but inevitably they were not available.

Year after next we'll start going for broke and ultimately squeeze as much as we can through the remainder of this era.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If you're spending 1st's you better have a team that's close to Cup contention. The Leafs were never that and many of us here knew it as much. Nick Foligno with Alex Kefoot. Yay??

And if you turn 30% of the roster over during the trade deadline while spending 1st's, it means you completely weren't ready for the playoffs and what you had in the season was trash for the playoffs anyways.

I think they're admitting this team isn't a Cup contender and there's nothing wrong with that.

After watching Dubas piss away assets every single year because of his delusions of grandeur idea that he was anywhere from one to five moves away from the Cup when in fact he didn't have a team capable of escaping the first round...honestly it's fine.

It's kind of OK to just hoard assets, firsts, prospects in pursuit of a longer term vision for the team.

Dubas was in self-preservation mode and it's kind of nice to have a manager who's looking past one year for once.

In reality, just adding cheap size and toughness on short-term deals could very well be the best bang-for-buck we've gotten in years.

What's the worst that can happen? We lose in another first round like Dubas did in 4 of 5 years?

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
He did not go out and make a splash but he brought in some depth and snot nose guys.

I like dewar one of the best 4th liners in the league and he’s a PK monster which the leafs have struggled with .

I think he over paid for Lyubushkin , seeing that price tag and what other teams got in return for their players makes me think the ducks had a strong offer else where and Treliving overpaid to get the deal done.

Joel edmonson is Meh , He’s not the same player he was , Hope the best for him for our teams sake.

we lost laggesson , meh .

But we didn’t give up our 1st round pick for a rental which I like , I’m hoping in the summer we are able to use that pick + a prospect to bring in some help for our back end .

To me he get’s a B- , Didn’t make a splash , Brought in some depth , got us a good 4th liner PKer , big strong D men no one special . It was mid trade deadline for Him so hes getting a Mid grade

sorry if Edmundson is able to stay healthy and doing what he did with stl and mtl in playoff. His valur coming playoff can be as high than Tanev. When the ref start to keep his whisttle in their pocket, Edmundson is exactly the type of player you want in your team. No body remembered 2021 with weber, chiarot, edmundson... they was slow and limited but nobody was able to stay in front of the net to screen price, deflect the puck and get the rebound because those 3 guy was cleaning it. Yes price had been great but he got help from the guy in front to protect price.

for me Edmundson is in my top 3 of smartest move during this TDL

if you starting the playoff with Edmundson, mccabe, lyubushkin, Benoit in your line up. Its will be harder than ever to stay in the slot. if leafs are able to do what they never been able to g
do, cleaning the front of the net, remove screen, deflection, rebound and forcing their opponent to score on direct shot, thats can make the diffrrence between a long run and be out in 1st round.

treliving didn't make huge splash but personally i love the move he did.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
F.

He wouldn't pay the price for Tanev who would have been a perfect solution. Tanev may have been the player to help us transform the D and win a cup.

Then over paid for a bunch of defesnmen who don't do anything to improve the team. So we gave up a bunch of picks for no reason imo.

He totally mismanaged this whole situation. Treliving sucks.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
F.

He wouldn't pay the price for Tanev who would have been a perfect solution. Tanev may have been the player to help us transform the D and win a cup.

Then over paid for a bunch of defesnmen who don't do anything to improve the team. So we gave up a bunch of picks for no reason imo.

He totally mismanaged this whole situation. Treliving sucks.

Dubas sucked losing in 4/5 first round and play-in rounds spending 1st round picks and assets like a kid with his parents' credit card.

You want more of that, good for you, others want to build the team properly using 1st round picks as assets that will one day help the team in meaningful and cost-effective ways.

If this is an F then I can only imagine what you thought of the last absolute loser GM that spent so much and accomplished so very, very little.

Reactions: HolyCrap

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I gave a B because I don't think he had much room to maneuver. That said, the team didn't move the needle at all this deadline. They're still weaker than they were last year going into the playoffs and I expect worse results this year than last. The big moves were to replace Keefe in the offseason and to trade Nylander for a much bigger need instead of committing to another $11M+ contract but I guess they're paid the big bucks because they know better than a dummy like me.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I gave him a B+.

I get why some people are frustrated that he didn’t do more. Believe me, I hear you on that front. But realistically, what could he really do? I don't think people fully realize how badly Dubas completely f***ed and depleted our draft capital over the years with the ridiculously stupid moves he made. The majority of which turned out to be pure rentals.

The following are the future "depleted draft capital" due to trades Dubas made:

Basically a net loss of a 1st, 3x 2nds, a 3rd, and a 6th moving forward (we have added a 5th and 7th which ill say replaces the other 4th we've lost)

That's pretty standard for a team that's gone all-in multiple years in a row. In comparison, the knights, Tampa, NYR, EDM, COL, and even WPG are all down basically a full future draft class with multiple teams alresdy having traded multiple 1sts and/or 2nds.

As for the rental remarks:
Of those picks: the 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd were for McCabe and Giordano (not rentals)... Id make those trades in a heartbeat considering we got McCabe for 2m for 2.5yrs and Gio for pennies... hes obviously running on fumes, but was still was a good add.

Two 2nds went for rentals (ROR & Acciari) whom most fans were very excited for.

I've found Treliving to be a mix bag (some good-great moves and some terrible ones) and think overall Dubas is the better GM since making some mistakes he learned from in his first few years. However, it's crazy to think either one has been way better or worse than the other or to pretend that Treliving has been put in an awful position because of Dubas. You're simply blinded my hatred because the Leafs stars underperformed more often than not.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Dubas sucked losing in 4/5 first round and play-in rounds spending 1st round picks and assets like a kid with his parents' credit card.

You want more of that, good for you, others want to build the team properly using 1st round picks as assets that will one day help the team in meaningful and cost-effective ways.

If this is an F then I can only imagine what you thought of the last absolute loser GM that spent so much and accomplished so very, very little.

We've actually produced a pretty good crop of talent for a contending team even without our top picks (Liljegren, Knies, Robertson, Cowen, and Minten). Thats what contending teams do.

Just so you know, most of the current Stanley cup favourites have the same or less picks than the Leafs moving forward. It's what happens when you're a contending team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad