Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 4 - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
From Lance's article about Tage today:

"Soon, the team will give a long-term contract to defenseman Rasmus Dahlin, who is a two-time All-Star and also considered one of the league’s best at his position. Dahlin is only 23 years old and, like several of his teammates, coming off the best season of his NHL career."

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not saying you specifically, but love how the goalposts keep shifting. I'm sure a four-year deal will be viewed as okay soon by others.

He wouldn't
What would be wrong with a 4 year deal? Obviously 8 years is the hope, but 4yrs keeps him here for 5 more years. Fine with me.

You seem quite determined to be angry about something when it comes to his contract.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
What would be wrong with a 4 year deal? Obviously 8 years is the hope, but 4yrs keeps him here for 5 more years. Fine with me.

You seem quite determined to be angry about something when it comes to his contract.
A four year deal essentially walks him straight into free agency in the prime of his career at age 28.

No team does that unless they have a proverbial gun to their head, much less for a player that that is arguably about to become a top-5 player at their position. That would be grounds for roster malpractice. Not that I believe it will happen in this case.

My belief is that the contract is agreed to and I expect it to be announced within the next two weeks in the lead up to training camp. There were too many reports early in the offseason to think there is any major snag at this point.

Fans are antsy because of offseason boredom and the natural "the sky is falling!" angst of Buffalo fandom.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
A four year deal essentially walks him straight into free agency in the prime of his career at age 28.
I know. Any deal he signs, whether 1yr or 8yrs, takes him to free agency.
No team does that unless they have a proverbial gun to their head, much less for a player that that is arguably about to become a top-5 player at their position. That would be grounds for roster malpractice. Not that I believe it will happen in this case.
The irony of the bolded is the "gun to their head" is the fact that he is that level player with only one RFA year to come on his next deal.

It's not roster malpractice to ensure you extend one of your best players, even if the term isn't ideal.

My comments are on the 4-year deal are not advocacy. Its in light of various takes from that poster. That said, if that's what it took to get him signed. I'd be fine with it.
My belief is that the contract is agreed to and I expect it to be announced within the next two weeks in the lead up to training camp. There were too many reports early in the offseason to think there is any major snag at this point.
Let's hope so.
Fans are antsy because of offseason boredom and the natural "the sky is falling!" angst of Buffalo fandom.
I referring to the poster I quoted and no one else.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I know why I dont read the THN anymore but unfortunately out of boredom I took a peak.
Burns & Quinn Huhges ahead of Dahlin in the Top5.

sorry to post rubbish like this but its the tail end of summer so...
Burns? Phenomenally comeback year but he’s 38. I’ll take Dahlin over him to win Norris. Neither will but I like Rasmus more. THN is trash today.

My guess is structure of deal is a major snag. Dahlin camp likely wants tons of money up front which is costly in today’s rate environment

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm listening to the After the Whistle podcast, they say they heard a rumor the deal was $10.5 x 8.

No discount, if true, but also less than he could get if he decided to play hardball like Matthews does. The longer we wait, the more this number goes up, so I say just sign it and move on to Power.

Reactions: elchud

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm listening to the After the Whistle podcast, they say they heard a rumor the deal was $10.5 x 8.

No discount, if true, but also less than he could get if he decided to play hardball like Matthews does. The longer we wait, the more this number goes up, so I say just sign it and move on to Power.

If that's the case........perfectly fair deal with the cap going up. Not the "deal" many fans were wanting, but at that price, 8 years is just fine.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Makes you wonder if they are trying to do both. Can they even offer Power a long term deal this year?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Makes you wonder if they are trying to do both. Can they even offer Power a long term deal this year?
I can see a whole big range of options but having a hard time narrowing in on the most probable. Adams history tells us that they want long term so I’m going to assume something like 8x8, maybe 8.5.

$9M AAV is where I start to get slightly annoyed, though I’d ultimately be totally fine with it.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
8 x 10.5 is the perfectly fair deal and it makes absolute sense with the cap no longer stunted after this season

Agreed. Except, what makes anyone think revenue will be going up with shitty tv numbers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad