Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 4 - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
eye roll

Dahlin putting up 100 points and contending for the Hart is most certainly a reasonable scenario. Are you not seeing that from him?
No

And I’m also not seeing all the other “xxx is going to hit super hero status” takes that people are throwing around. Josh Allen and Tage Thompson have broken the reality meter around here.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
No

And I’m also not seeing all the other “xxx is going to hit super hero status” takes that people are throwing around. Josh Allen and Tage Thompson have broken the reality meter around here.
I don't completely disagree with you but Dahlin is pretty damn close if not already super hero status. Dude is ridiculous and so fun to watch. Nobody is talking about guys like that aside from Tage and Dahlin.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
No

Dahlin is already a superhero, are you sure you watch hockey? He is probably in the top 5 defensemen in the NHL and should have been in the top 3 for Norris as his metrics were generally better than Fox and Makar.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Some comparables to consider when thinking about Dahlin's extension. I'll guess 8x$11M, putting him in the top rank of d-men, while not gouging the team and city he so obviously adores.

Wondering where he is now? #38. Incredible.

1692041254969.png

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Some comparables to consider when thinking about Dahlin's extension. I'll guess 8x$11M, putting him in the top rank of d-men, while not gouging the team and city he so obviously adores.

Wondering where he is now? #38. Incredible.

View attachment 735958
Making $1.5-2M more per year than Fox and Makar despite having no top 5 Norris voting seasons would be rough.

I expect Dahlin to get 8x$10M AAV and it will be a slight overpayment because the Sabres.

Reactions: Irie

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Making $1.5-2M more per year than Fox and Makar despite having no top 5 Norris voting seasons would be rough.

I expect Dahlin to get 8x$10M AAV and it will be a slight overpayment because the Sabres.
Dahlin turned 23 in April. Fox turned 25 in Feb, Makar will be 25 in Oct. Given the typical d-man development curve, I'd guess Dahlin has more upside than either of the other two.

Makar signed in July 2021, and Fox in Nov 2021. They'd each command significantly more if signing today.

NHL trophy voting is somewhat of a joke to begin with, and Buffalo doesn't exactly have the cachet around the league to push their players up the list.

Hope you're right though. I'm fully in favor of the Sabres locking up their elite #1 defender as cheaply as possible.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
Dahlin is already a superhero, are you sure you watch hockey? He is probably in the top 5 defensemen in the NHL and should have been in the top 3 for Norris as his metrics were generally better than Fox and Makar.
1 defenseman in the last 30 years has hit 100 points and he wasn’t even the Hart finalist. Are you sure you watch hockey? 15 in nhl history have done it.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

"We subjected you to a coach whose goal appeared to be destroying your entire career and making your life a living hell. The two years you spent under this clown torpedoed your stats and reputation to where people who should know better scoff at the idea that you are one of the absolute best defensemen in the entire league. Therefore we propose that you sign a deal that clearly isn't in line with how good you actually are".

Other fanbases have an excuse to criminally underrate Dahlin, we absolutely do not.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
"We subjected you to a coach whose goal appeared to be destroying your entire career and making your life a living hell. The two years you spent under this clown torpedoed your stats and reputation to where people who should know better scoff at the idea that you are one of the absolute best defensemen in the entire league. Therefore we propose that you sign a deal that clearly isn't in line with how good you actually are".

Other fanbases have an excuse to criminally underrate Dahlin, we absolutely do not.
How is the 3rd richest deal for any defenseman in the league not in line with how good Dahlin is???

Reactions: Jim Bob

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
1 defenseman in the last 30 years has hit 100 points and he wasn’t even the Hart finalist. Are you sure you watch hockey? 15 in nhl history have done it.
If the team at the same time will reach the playoffs, it is quite real. Dahlin is a real stud and already one of the best players in the league in his position at 23 years old.

Reactions: sabremike

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
If the team at the same time will reach the playoffs, it is quite real. Dahlin is a real stud and already one of the best players in the league in his position at 23 years old.
And of all the best players in the league none of them have scored 100+ and won hart, but dahlin should hold out for it.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

whoever voted last season must be blind if he wasn't in the top 5....he really should of been 3rd at least but somehow Makar made it missing 20+ games.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Dahlin turned 23 in April. Fox turned 25 in Feb, Makar will be 25 in Oct. Given the typical d-man development curve, I'd guess Dahlin has more upside than either of the other two.

Makar signed in July 2021, and Fox in Nov 2021. They'd each command significantly more if signing today.

NHL trophy voting is somewhat of a joke to begin with, and Buffalo doesn't exactly have the cachet around the league to push their players up the list.

Hope you're right though. I'm fully in favor of the Sabres locking up their elite #1 defender as cheaply as possible.
I have to agree, I don't think 10M is an overpay for a player like Dahlin. Seems to be a fair price, imo.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think a lot depends on how the scoring trend continues to develop over the years. Defensemen are incredibly active offensively now, and the goal scoring has reached incredible heights recently. If that trend continues, I can see Dahlin hitting 100 points, but it seems unlikely as the Sabres hopefully evolve their defensive game; that will sacrifice some offense.

But damn, I think Dahlin would've been close to 100 points this season if he were healthy the entire year. His style of play causes other teams to be more likely to take cheap shots on him.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Makar's extension was 11.04% of the cap.

Fox's extension was 11.66% of the cap.

If Dahlin gets $11M AAV, that would be 13.17% of the cap.

Karlsson's current deal was 14.47% and Doughty's deal was 13.84%.

A $10M AAV deal would be 11.98% of the cap.

And 11% would be $9.185M AAV, or roughly what Makar got.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOOats

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Makar extension was 11.04% of the cap.

Fox's extension was 11.66% of the cap.

If Dahlin gets $11M AAV, that would be 13.17% of the cap.

Karlsson's current deal was 14.47% and Doughty's deal was 13.84%.

A $10M AAV deal would be 11.98% of the cap.

And 11% would be $9.185M AAV, or roughly what Makar got.

Cap should rise significantly after this season, however

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
That's the slightly concerning part of this summer's mini-saga of Chad's reporting, Rasmus' Euro vacation, etc. Most of us have assumed he'll sign a reasonably team-friendly deal at 8x10 and not try to grab every penny available. I think he's a humble guy who wants to win more than anything, so I still expect him to be happy with whatever massive sum he can get while not strapping the team relative to the cap.

But with the cap set to rise next summer and Dahlin having the potential to put up over a PPG this season, I don't see any reason for him to sign right now if his goal is to maximize his earnings. And that goes for Power even more.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And? The Sabres have loads of players that will need raises moving forward, as well.

The average of the top 5 D cap hits today is $10.22M.

The average of the top 10 D cap hits today is $9.69M.

The average cap hit of the past 4 Norris winners is $9.76M.

Of the top 10 cap hits on D, only two (Werenski & Nurse) have not had at least one season where they were in the top 5 in Norris voting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad