Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 4 - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I really don't have issues with Dahlin's development so far. The occasional jaw dropping error that I think will resolve with experience. Otherwise very clearly our best player across the 30ish games I caught last year.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
No, it isn't.

He will get a long term deal and a lot of money if he plays the way he did after the All-Star game all season and I'll be happy to give him every penny.
Read what I wrote. I said if he won't sign. I'd offer $9 M x 8 on July 1. After 2022-23, he has two years of team control. He needs to be signed or traded. The idea of waiting until his RFA is a major mistake.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Read what I wrote. I said if he won't sign. I'd offer $9 M x 8 on July 1. After 2022-23, he has two years of team control. He needs to be signed or traded. The idea of waiting until his RFA is a major mistake.
Why is it a major mistake? We still have team control when he hits RFA. It wouldn’t be much different than the tkachuk situation

Reactions: Jim Bob

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Its too early to say what the contract will be. The Dahlin we saw the back half of last year has a contract floor of 9millionx6. I think we are all hoping that gets more expensive.

Doubtful he will re-sign early, as the team improves the next two seasons so will his points.

After having said its too early to say, my prediction is 8 years x 11 million. The cap should get a decent bump in 24/25. I dont think he gets a Norris this year or next.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Its too early to say what the contract will be. The Dahlin we saw the back half of last year has a contract floor of 9millionx6. I think we are all hoping that gets more expensive.

Doubtful he will re-sign early, as the team improves the next two seasons so will his points.

After having said its too early to say, my prediction is 8 years x 11 million. The cap should get a decent bump in 24/25. I dont think he gets a Norris this year or next.
Jones and Nurse weren't close to Norris either, but they got 9+ million, damn hard to predict this market, on the other hand, Makar and Heiskanen get about the same.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
When I see Dahlin, I see a Lidstrom-lite defenseman with softer hands. When he plays with confidence, there's nothing he can't do.

He'll never be as patient and as calculating as Lidstrom. I see that he has some of Lidstrom's game for sure. But, they are different players. I see Dahlin as a bit more "forcing the issue".

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I mean, there's still 2 seasons between now and his next contract. I think it's reasonable to predict he'll be one of the more highly paid D in the NHL if he keeps doing what he was from ~February onward.
There could be one season between now and his next contract if Adams is proactive and gets him signed to an extension next summer.

The challenge with guys like Dahlin and Thompson is that they have yet to have multiple seasons of consistent play.

We hope Dahlin can play a full season like he did from February onward. But, being a slow starter could also be an issue that lingers for Dahlin. If that is the case, it will make his next contract more challenging.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I mean, there's still 2 seasons between now and his next contract. I think it's reasonable to predict he'll be one of the more highly paid D in the NHL if he keeps doing what he was from ~February onward.

Perennial post-season award all stars, the first and second team recognitions, don't make that much.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
The cap going up in 24/25 by a few million will have an impact on this

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Oops. 24/25 is just another 1 million up. 25/26 is expected to be the bump.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Okay, let's agonize then. Dahlin's contemporaries, by tier and current contract in $M ...

1 - Makar 9
2 - Fox 9.5, Hughes 7.85, Heiskanen 8.45, McAvoy 9.5, Werenski 9.6
3 - Dahlin 6, Sergachev 8.5 (from 23/24), Chabot 8

Dahlin is on the cusp of being in that 2nd tier, and will obviously be due a raise. It will require a significant step up in play to have earned a $10M+ contract imo, however. The absurd contracts gifted to Jones and Nurse should not be considered precedents.

It is currently unknown how Adams will handle superstar contracts, because we don't have a proven one, yet. But let's hope he's more like Sakic than Dubas or Holland. Hopefully Adams' "players who want to be here" mantra implies "hometown discount".

(Trying to keep this simple, without tumbling down into the who-what-tier and AAV-cap-term rabbit holes. Your tiering is probably different. That's okay.)

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
When I see Dahlin, I see a Lidstrom-lite defenseman with softer hands. When he plays with confidence, there's nothing he can't do.
I agree except I don't see.. "lite" anything when it comes to Dahlin.. He's 22..

I picture a slow determined psychotic mildly amused smile on his face before he puts his head down to get back to work, should Dahlin read the word 'LITE' in your post about him.

If I was guessing He tried to gain weight too fast and he's just now getting used to his weight gain from last summer. He plays like a vicious 30 year old but didn't have the weight, body and experience to gain leverage and read quickly ,. to back it up..

He knew what it looked like to clear the net and intimidate against the best in the world and just got lost in his rush to be his own better version of what he saw being played. . I think watching his contemporaries and coaching has helped him be himself and do every detail his own way to avoid thinking and Just react.
The last 40 games he seems to have been taught size and strength are less the answer than leverage,body positioning in general and quickness to the spot . I am convinced , especially w Donny in his ear, whatever Dahlin decides to be the best at, he will be . The question really is how good will he decide to be w Lindstrom and Hedman examples combined w the physicality of Carlson.. Presently he is being overshadowed by makar and he seems the type to take everything written too seriously as a challenge, overcompensating like his 20 year old summer hulk attempt..( I don't think it helped his style of play, at first)

When you type in best young defenseman. Dahlin is no where to be found over Adan Fix, Makar, Hughes sergachev, werenski , Miller and ten others and his name still isn't mentioned w the googly glasses on.

Watching dahlin figure it out and being freed up w a good partner.. I get the feeling. .. ( many ridiculously gaudy numbers , and Homer ish easily dismissed positive things not typed tempting hockey deit jinx etc ).
Let's say .. barring injuries and horrible things happening like last year .... This will be a year to watch Rasmus Dahlin and at least four or five others who are tired of the current state of the group. They are playing to stay together .. I wouldn't bet against him and the rest..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad