Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 4 - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't care what they said, but his skating is fine like everything else, he will probably increase his speed even more in the future.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Granato told Dahlin to ditch that conservative mentality and “get after it.” He wouldn’t disappoint anybody.

“I felt there was a real competitive burn there I needed to help him unleash where he wasn’t worried about any repercussion from me or what I think, potentially negative,” Granato said after the Sabres prepared for Friday’s home game against the Washington Capitals. “Just go.”

I feel vindicated with the idea of just telling him to go and not worry about the mistakes. Seems Don has done that and Rasmus is now not worrying about the mistakes.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

I feel vindicated with the idea of just telling him to go and not worry about the mistakes. Seems Don has done that and Rasmus is now not worrying about the mistakes.

like I said a few weeks back…the key to unlocking Dahlin appeared to be “who cares if you screw up”. he stopped worrying about it…and then he stopped screwing up anyway.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Something happened at the All Start Game to him as well too

The other thing is someone in the organization is giving him masterclasses in using his body, new found muscles, and uhh "stickwork", any thoughts on who ?
I think he started to improve even before the All-Star Game, and from there he came back even more confident. Well, there were a lot of guys he could hang out with, like Hedman.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Also, anyone else noticing that the Handsomest Man Alive has lost most of his neck? Dahlin is following the Tage path to becoming thicc.

Reactions: Fjordy

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
like I said a few weeks back…the key to unlocking Dahlin appeared to be “who cares if you screw up”. he stopped worrying about it…and then he stopped screwing up anyway.
Imagine that eh. Giving a young super talented player some rope to play through his mistakes so he isn’t playing scared. I for one am shocked it’s working :sarcasm:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Don't play conservatively, don't be afraid to make mistakes, play competitively. (c) Granato

Play conservatively, if you make a mistake sit on the bench, don't go on the attack even if you have excellent skills. (c) Ralphus f***ing Kruegerus.

That isn't just Krueger though. That was Housley. That was Bylsma. Frequently that was Lindy. It takes something for a coach to take the wraps off an offensively gifted player and just tell them to go back out and do what they do. It's hard to be constructive - see Krebs backhand turnovers - and not have it be wrathful.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
That isn't just Krueger though. That was Housley. That was Bylsma. Frequently that was Lindy. It takes something for a coach to take the wraps off an offensively gifted player and just tell them to go back out and do what they do. It's hard to be constructive - see Krebs backhand turnovers - and not have it be wrathful.

To be fair, not many coaches are told "don't worry about winning for a few seasons -- focus on development."

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well, I took the closest example that we had in the recent past, how much this idiot Krueger did everything wrong.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
To be fair, not many coaches are told "don't worry about winning for a few seasons -- focus on development."
Agreed and to further the point, that paints coaches into a pressure-cooker, where if everyone isn't buying or able to buy what they're selling, they pigeon-hole the player into a situation where they can't succeed. The thing about mistakes are that when they happen, you learn through them. You learn nothing by just playing interpretive hockey through the lens of what the coach wants. A guy like Dahlin, who has all the skills in the world, needs to be able to feel the game. The only way he can figure out how to do that is to see what works and what doesn't. These other coaches never gave him the chance to figure it out on his own.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I would love to know what Donny would say to Ralph that was ignored, and what Donny must have been thinking during the terror of Ralph. They seem to have two completely different ways of thinking and it's obvious what works with young players and pretty much everyone.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
I would love to know what Donny would say to Ralph that was ignored, and what Donny must have been thinking during the terror of Ralph. They seem to have two completely different ways of thinking and it's obvious what works with young players and pretty much everyone.

Might not be the thread for it, but how the hell did Granato come to be an assistant coach for Ralph?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Adams deserves a lot of credit for removing the toxins from the locker room. Bylsma, Housley and Krueger were never going to succeed coaching hazmat.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

“I had a couple of tough nights and he still believed in me," Dahlin said after Thursday's practice. "He talked to me and he showed it, and that’s how you make players better. So I’m young, and thanks to 'Donny', I’ve been able to develop.”

Dahlin on Cozens
“Everyone wants a guy like that on your team, because he can do it all.
He battles out there, he fights, he scores, he’s tough to play against. So whenever he’s on the ice, I’m feeling comfortable.”

If he had to play against Cozens:
"That would be miserable. You don’t want to play against a guy like that, because that’s the worst hockey player you can play against.”

Pretty good article by PHam.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dahlin and his defensive partner Henri Jokiharju have become very good friends on the ice. But when they’re on the ice together, they aren’t afraid to get on each other.

“We’re so close, but that’s how you have to be to take the next step," Dahlin said. "You’ve got to be hard on each other. It’s fine to make mistakes, but it’s not fine to be sloppy. So yes, we’re hard on each other, because I want to play a really good game and so does he.”

Good to hear. Hope HJ has the sort of bump that RD has over these last games.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I still see idiots on twitter offering to trade him because we now have Samuelsson and Power. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad