Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Streaks are nice, but consistency is better. On March 16 2012, we also had 95 points, but 70 games played. Our record exactly 3 years ago was:

70GP. 44-19-7
191GF
150GA

This year:
68GP. 44-17-7
207GF
158GA

This is basically the same season when you look at the stats, but the fact that we have less 5-game winning streaks means this team is more consistent.

Honestly, the 5-game winning streaks don't mean that much since it's just an arbitrary number. It's like saying we've had 1 more 8 game winning streak this year. The thing is, what's amazing is that we thought that team started slow but they righted the ship in 9 games, it took us over 20 this year and we're still ahead of that team.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
After losing in the Finals to a team that basically tried in 30 games, I think we're pacing ourselves more this year. Luckily, things have bounced our way anyhow.

We're pacing ourselves more? So you think we're purposely not giving a **** and it has nothing to do with losses of some key players?

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We're pacing ourselves more? So you think we're purposely not giving a **** and it has nothing to do with losses of some key players?

It's not purposely not giving a ****. It's just not playing every game like it's the playoffs. That 11-12 team played every game like the playoffs, that was the personality of the coach and leadership.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's not purposely not giving a ****. It's just not playing every game like it's the playoffs. That 11-12 team played every game like the playoffs, that was the personality of the coach and leadership.

Yes but I was talking about last year's team. That team was super consistent and like a machine once they got it going. Reminded me of a number of Detroit teams. This team is more all over the place. Honestly, if I saw video of last season and this season and didn't know any better I'd think the records would be reversed. This team is far more run and gun that team had things under control. The 11-12 team has no place at the table.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yes but I was talking about last year's team. That team was super consistent and like a machine once they got it going. Reminded me of a number of Detroit teams. This team is more all over the place. Honestly, if I saw video of last season and this season and didn't know any better I'd think the records would be reversed. This team is far more run and gun that team had things under control. The 11-12 team has no place at the table.

Really only after the New Year. I think they deserved a better fate (record wise) the first half of the season, but there were still plenty of people picking apart last years team for various reasons (easier second half schedule masking the fact that they weren't good, can't finish, can't beat big teams, etc.)

Last year's squad also hit a bit of a skid after the Olympic break, in fact I remember a number of people flipping the **** out after they lost b2b's against Philly (who they outplayed) and Boston. There were plenty of people who hated the St. Louis trade because it was supposedly just another blind shot in the dark towards a deep playoff run when it was "clear" that this team didn't have enough to go very far.

I don't know if you can call it luck per se, but this years team has done a really, really good job of having some portion of their game carry them when another is down. Last month when the D, Cam or both, sucked, the offense was outscoring their mistakes. Now this team is going through a stretch where they can't buy a goal and the D and Cam have stepped up. Then you have games like today where pretty much everyone sucks and the Goalie just steals the game. I forget who said it, I think it was Quenville, but good teams will usually have about 5 games every season where they flat out suck. The Rangers had one of those games today against a half decent opponent and they still won. That didn't happen last year, in fact there were many nights where they suffered the fate that Florida did (San Jose game from last March, for example.)

But the one thing that 100% has to sort it self out before the playoffs is the 2nd line. I don't know if it will happen with guys playing better or if they have to shift players around, but if they can't get Stepan and who ever he is playing with to start playing well, they're pretty much ****ed. If they can get that sorted out, I feel really good about this team's chances of coming out of the east.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Really only after the New Year. I think they deserved a better fate (record wise) the first half of the season, but there were still plenty of people picking apart last years team for various reasons (easier second half schedule masking the fact that they weren't good, can't finish, can't beat big teams, etc.)

Last year's squad also hit a bit of a skid after the Olympic break, in fact I remember a number of people flipping the **** out after they lost b2b's against Philly (who they outplayed) and Boston. There were plenty of people who hated the St. Louis trade because it was supposedly just another blind shot in the dark towards a deep playoff run when it was "clear" that this team didn't have enough to go very far.

I don't know if you can call it luck per se, but this years team has done a really, really good job of having some portion of their game carry them when another is down. Last month when the D, Cam or both, sucked, the offense was outscoring their mistakes. Now this team is going through a stretch where they can't buy a goal and the D and Cam have stepped up. Then you have games like today where pretty much everyone sucks and the Goalie just steals the game. I forget who said it, I think it was Quenville, but good teams will usually have about 5 games every season where they flat out suck. The Rangers had one of those games today against a half decent opponent and they still won. That didn't happen last year, in fact there were many nights where they suffered the fate that Florida did (San Jose game from last March, for example.)

But the one thing that 100% has to sort it self out before the playoffs is the 2nd line. I don't know if it will happen with guys playing better or if they have to shift players around, but if they can't get Stepan and who ever he is playing with to start playing well, they're pretty much ****ed. If they can get that sorted out, I feel really good about this team's chances of coming out of the east.

Reminds me of this game. Hossa ties it with 3 seconds left, 2013 Hawks win against a bad Flames team despite being outshot 47-19.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201302020CGY.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
Y'all are reading too much into it.

Florida threw everything on net - they're a desperate team doing whatever it takes to make the playoffs at the pointy end of the season.

Team defense stood up as did Goalbuster.

We're on a heck of a run, enjoy it.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Meanwhile, Chris appreciates an invisible glass of wine.

f97f0fd173200cfc0bc76e8fa6d3f3cc09cc2da63c39637974d96044d50fddc7_:original

"chuckles"

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
We are going to win the Presidents Trophy. We are going to win the Stanley Cup. Because this team goes into every game and knows what they have to do to win. Stop *****ing. This is a special team.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
I'm the one who brought up Matt Cooke's name, and it was -purely a response to the suggestion that reputations are built on jealousy rather than merit-. My suggestion was that a player like Matt Cooke is not someone who built a reputation because people are jealous that he's not on their team. Period.

It wasn't an attempt to compare Kreider to Cooke.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm the one who brought up Matt Cooke's name, and it was -purely a response to the suggestion that reputations are built on jealousy rather than merit-. My suggestion was that a player like Matt Cooke is not someone who built a reputation because people are jealous that he's not on their team. Period.

It wasn't an attempt to compare Kreider to Cooke.

If you mention two names in the same post, you are comparing them didn't you know that? ;)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How is Kreider compared to Cooke? Seriously, do these people not understand what Cooke did? Kreider's dirty players are all borderline plays. Nothing close to a suspension. But, maybe it's just me and I forgot that he tried to disintegrate all the goalies MCL's.

Someone said that Kreider should be thrown out of the league entirely. The main board is where rational discussion goes to die.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
For those on the mainboard that are sayiing its a slewfoot...it just shows they don't know what a slewfoot is.
C'mon dude, try showing a .gif of the incident rather than a freeze frame before the follow through.

I am glad Kreider is on the team and I enjoy watching him play but if you follow his motion and follow through he absolutely sent his leg into Gudbranson intending to blind side him. Which he did quite effectively.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
C'mon dude, try showing a .gif of the incident rather than a freeze frame before the follow through.

I am glad Kreider is on the team and I enjoy watching him play but if you follow his motion and follow through he absolutely sent his leg into Gudbranson intending to blind side him. Which he did quite effectively.

It wasn't a slew foot. Kreider should have been called for kneeing because he extended his leg into Gudbranson's knee and tripped him. Kreider went to hit Gudbranson and then turned, making for an awkward hit. The gate was late, so Kreider could have been called for that, too.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'd be fine if they called Kreider for a tripping penalty or something there, whatever. What I can't stand is that a guy slightly bumping another off balance guy who falls and gets a flukey stinger (bad enough to cry on the bench but not bad enough to keep him out of the game apparently) and suddenly it's the worst thing that has ever happened ever. If Kreider was such a horrible dirty player he could have put Gudbranson through the boards there and really injured him.

I'm not a fan of the play, Kreider should have probably just avoided contact at that point, but seemed like he was trying to get a "bump" in on him and hit him awkwardly.

It just annoys me that this is the kind of league that argues over or even applauds guys (like Gudbranson) who throw hits to the head like it's "just part of the game" and then fly off the handle like this was the worst thing to ever happen in a hockey game.

Kreider is kind of reckless and there's some stuff he needs to be more careful about (not the goalie stuff, the complaining about all that is pure 100% BS, but he's not really careful enough near the boards) but if what he did last night was such a huge travesty we should just shut down hockey since worse stuff than that happens every shift of a hockey game

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto

I did on the mainboard actually:

iwak6.gif

Other than how it was executed, the contact isn't much different than those done in hipchecks.

Kreider's hip hits Gudbrandon's hip. At contact, Gudbranson's feet are still on the ground. To me it's a hipcheck - a terrible one - and probably an unintentional one.

To me a few things are clear:

Unlike typical hipchecks, his legs were not together. Kreider leaned into him by separating his legs, but contact was absolutely at the hip/glute, and at worst very high on the side of his quadriceps. The way his body moves is not one of kicking anything out from anything else... not a distinct kicking motion :P
If it's a hipcheck, you cannot hit below the knees. I think contact was on the hips, but even if it was a bit low (thigh/hip), it's not clipping

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This game feels like a loss to me. I know the Panthers are dangerous, but I feel like they took out our manhood and the only person to sack up was Talbot. Awful game. Didn't feel like we're even a good team. Felt like an 11-12 win.

We've lost lots of games where we dominate teams. Why do you have to be so negative about everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad