Eklund Rumor: Rangers to trade for Shattenkirk?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
This is getting circular. So why would the Blues trade Shatty to NYR at a rental price? The Blues can get rental value from a lot of different teams. If I'm trading Shattenkirk and I know that NYR view him as an easy extension and (partial) solution to their D core for 6-8 years, I'm not handing him over for a rental price. If ALL the Blues can get is rental value for Shattenkirk (which obviously they are working to trade for much more), then Shatty won't be a Ranger.

Maybe. Who knows what else is being offered. I just believe it is likely that the Rangers aren't offering much more than Hayes+ or Kreider.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
This is more reasonable and I agree with this. Saying he's a 1 year rental anywhere but NYR is a little too much, though.

I get the concept that for NYR, it's worth the risk to wait it out and try to get him for free. The thing is... it's still absolutely a risk. That means he may in fact sign elsewhere before NYR even has a shot (which you seemed to have discounted in your previous post).

I guess that the Rangers would consider that an okay risk to take since they are not a Shattenkirk away from Cup Contention. If they can get Shattenkirk for a reasonable price, and then if the team is performing and in good playoff position near the TDL then maybe they make more moves. But, we wouldn't want to waste extra assets just to potentially be in a position in which we would have to make more moves anyway.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You say this as if it is 100% certain. It is as certain as me assuming we will get Shattenkirk for a rental price.

Not sure why people tend to always speak in absolutes when these situations are anything but that. They are filled with tons of grey area.

There is a very realistic chance we don't end up with Shattenkirk. I wouldn't be upset either. If you all are right and the price is as high as you say, then I want no part of it because we don't have assets for that move to be a net positive for us. Other teams do. If I am right, and the price is closer to Hayes + Klein or something, it would be beneficial to us to make that trade. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. Problem is, I don't even know what the middle would be in this scenario.

I don't think the Rangers would get him in a rental price situation, because I don't think you guys would be able to top the packages of other teams. I don't think you have the prospects or the picks to be able to make a package work for both us and you.

The Rangers could make a deal if it is based around either Stepan or Zibanejad. If other offers aren't good and Kreider/Miller beats them, but I don't see another scenario. I don't see you guys moving Buchnevich or a 1st. What would you think would be your best rental offer?

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
You say this as if it is 100% certain. It is as certain as me assuming we will get Shattenkirk for a rental price.

Not sure why people tend to always speak in absolutes when these situations are anything but that. They are filled with tons of grey area.

There is a very realistic chance we don't end up with Shattenkirk. I wouldn't be upset either. If you all are right and the price is as high as you say, then I want no part of it because we don't have assets for that move to be a net positive for us. Other teams do. If I am right, and the price is closer to Hayes + Klein or something, it would be beneficial to us to make that trade. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. Problem is, I don't even know what the middle would be in this scenario.

Well I didn't read this before I posted. Fair enough.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I don't know who you are referring to in this post. What I have been saying is there is no point in the Rangers paying extra to have him signed since we know he wants to play here. We pay a rental price, for a guy with 1 year left and re-sign him on our own.

I have never bought into the UFA argument. You are correct. Just because he may want to play here doesn't mean he would sign here if we wait it out. Thats why I am saying trade for him now and re-sign him ourselves. Its foolish for us to pay extra for him to be extended.

Well, if all you'd be willing to offer is a rental price then I'd say you're very unlike to get him. I suppose you could hold out and hope Army doesn't get a better offer from someone else but that seems rather risky to me.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I never said he was worthless, but when I've watched him, I always got the sense that he'd remain a 40ish point guy. I don't see him being a center long-term and he played RW in college too. He's not really that physical and he has consistency issues. I've never been high on the guy, and this dates back to when he was drafted. His skating and goal-scoring are 2 areas that are big limits in him progressing IMO.

We have a similar player, granted he's older, but we have a similar player in Lehtera.
I feel like that's a reasonable return for 1 year of Shattenkirk. I've also seen a lot of negative stuff said about him from Blues fans this year.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
This is getting circular. So why would the Blues trade Shatty to NYR at a rental price? The Blues can get rental value from a lot of different teams. If I'm trading Shattenkirk and I know that NYR view him as an easy extension and (partial) solution to their D core for 6-8 years, I'm not handing him over for a rental price. If ALL the Blues can get is rental value for Shattenkirk (which obviously they are working to trade for much more), then Shatty won't be a Ranger.

I don't think STL would care about this. To them, the value with Shatty ends with the trade (which they can maximize by extending, sure). They don't lose value depending on what he does afterwards.

They aren't going to not take the NYR offer if its the one they like the most just because NYR could extend him and get more value out of him. They will take the best offer on the table regardless of the team's plans for him.

I guess that the Rangers would consider that an okay risk to take since they are not a Shattenkirk away from Cup Contention. If they can get Shattenkirk for a reasonable price, and then if the team is performing and in good playoff position near the TDL then maybe they make more moves. But, we wouldn't want to waste extra assets just to potentially be in a position in which we would have to make more moves anyway.

Yes, I think that's a high likelihood. I do think if the price is cheap/acceptable enough, they'd still go for him and ensure they can lock him up vs. taking that risk.. but otherwise, they may feel they can wait until UFA and hope he's still there.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I don't think the Rangers would get him in a rental price situation, because I don't think you guys would be able to top the packages of other teams. I don't think you have the prospects or the picks to be able to make a package work for both us and you.

The Rangers could make a deal if it is based around either Stepan or Zibanejad. If other offers aren't good and Kreider/Miller beats them, but I don't see another scenario. I don't see you guys moving Buchnevich or a 1st. What would you think would be your best rental offer?

Neither Step nor Zibby would be moved.

Best offer would be something like Kreider + prospect not named Buchnevich. I know you're going to say that that is not enough but I am just saying I do not see any world in which the Rangers offer more. If your response to that is that fine the Rangers just won't get Shattenkirk then that very well may be true. But, just know that in my opinion, and several other Rangers posters, I can't see them offering more than that based on our current team and situation.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Best offer would be something like Kreider + prospect not named Buchnevich. I know you're going to say that that is not enough but I am just saying I do not see any world in which the Rangers offer more. If your response to that is that fine the Rangers just won't get Shattenkirk then that very well may be true. But, just know that in my opinion, and several other Rangers posters, I can't see them offering more than that based on our current team and situation.

That's a price that at a certain point, I would do, but maybe others wouldn't.

I also realize Stepan/Zibanejad makes no sense for you guys. Trading Buchnevich or even a 1st makes little sense. A deal would have to be based around Kreider or Miller to make even a little sense on either side IMO.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
What risk, that the Rangers lose out on giving Shattenkirk at the age of 29 when the contract starts, a 7 year deal (or 8 if they own his rights at the deadline) with a over 7M cap hit with a full no movement clause?

I don't see that as a risk, if that is what it takes, so be it if some other team wants that within their cap structure.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If Blues decide just to move Shattenkirk as a rental, there are going to be many teams lining up to get him... and not just in the East or whoever Shattenkirk wants to extend with.. and plus that team acquiring him as a rental can let him walk at seasons end and he wont take up a expansion spot... 4.25 cap hit for him is a steal and a lot of real good teams would gladly take him. But it's not going to come to that... Army will maximize

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I feel like that's a reasonable return for 1 year of Shattenkirk. I've also seen a lot of negative stuff said about him from Blues fans this year.

It's not, and it's not on par with other top rentals, even at the trade deadline.

The negatives with Shattenkirk are the same with Yandle.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Shattenkirk to the Rangers feels like Yandle Part II, another failed experiment waiting to happen.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's not, and it's not on par with other top rentals, even at the trade deadline.

The negatives with Shattenkirk are the same with Yandle.
Is it because Hayes isn't a prospect anymore or something? I mean if you would prefer something like a 1st + prospect that's totally fair.

Whitsmith803

Jul 11, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I hope it's something bigger and shakes things up like this- Rangers get the RHD long term solution and salary cap relief long term Blues get the offense they need to replace Backes and Brouwer

Blues
Nash-7.8
Chris Kreider-4.15
3rd round pick

Rangers
Shattenkirk-4.25 (6yr/6.5m)extension
Steen- 5.8
Blues 1st round pick 2018

Kreider Stastny Nash
Schwartz Fabbri Tarasenko
Bergland Lehtera Peron
Jaskin Brodziak Upshall

Steen- Stepan - Zuccarello
Miller- ZIBANEJAD- Hayes
Buchnevich- Lindenberg- Grabner
Gerbe- Jooris- Fast

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Most of that is from a very vocal minority that doesn't understand that players don't have linear success from year to year. The overall body of work for Shatty shows he's a high end player, regardless of whether he struggled last year.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love Shattenkirk and think he will do well on certain teams, but I really hope NYR doesn't do it. I just don't like the fit and it always seems like they handcuff themselves with huge contracts on certain players that come back to haunt after a few years

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I hope it's something bigger and shakes things up like this- Rangers get the RHD long term solution and salary cap relief long term Blues get the offense they need to replace Backes and Brouwer

Blues
Nash-7.8
Chris Kreider-4.15
3rd round pick

Rangers
Shattenkirk-4.25 (6yr/6.5m)extension
Steen- 5.8
Blues 1st round pick 2018

Kreider Stastny Nash
Schwartz Fabbri Tarasenko
Bergland Lehtera Peron
Jaskin Brodziak Upshall

Steen- Stepan - Zuccarello
Miller- ZIBANEJAD- Hayes
Buchnevich- Lindenberg- Grabner
Gerbe- Jooris- Fast

Some how each of our 3 parts are worth more than their counterpart. Why would the Blues do this?

Steen is the most valuable or Shattenkirk with an extension. Both are worth more than Nash and Kreider. 1st > 3rd.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
List appears short? This is a false narrative on HF. This list is bigger than most think, and it was already reported that Shatty was open to other teams in the West. It's not true that he only wants to sign with teams near his hometown.

Uh, that is why I carefully said "the list appears short" and also why I cited that scenario as a risk, because I am going off what I have read. I don't know for sure and neither do you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad