Eklund Rumor: Rangers to trade for Shattenkirk?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Blues wont be trading Shattenkirk unless there is an extension in place. Army would be out of his mind trading him away without that extension cause the return would be significantly smaller. He knows what hes doing.... he will maximize this and end up getting a huge return

So does our GM. But what does that really mean? How often do sign and trades actually happen?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So does our GM. But what does that really mean? How often do sign and trades actually happen?

NYR is one of the few teams he is rumored to only agree to sign an extension with... any team would be silly to acquire him without either an actual extension in place, or a verbal agreement that it will be signed once acquired.. its either gonna be a sign and trade or a trade with verbal agreement

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Hayes + for Shattenkirk would be my guess.

Unless the + is Staal, that wouldn't work cap wise next year. Both Shatty and Zib are going to get raises and the only significant money coming off the books is Glass, but that's only 1.45 mil.

That deal would also give us an overabundance of dmen, so I'd have to think that Klein is going the other way (I doubt they would take Staal or Girardi). I'm sure they know Klein well from his Nashville days.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
For Zibby

I doubt this rumor is anything more than Eklund throwing crap and seeing what sticks. However, if it is true, Ziby would be my hope. I think he would fit with Tarasenko pretty well. Big, defensively responsible to make up for Vladdy and willing to shoot to keep defenses honest. Plus with his slow starts, we could start Lehtera as 1st line center for the first 20 games where he is actually decent, and then swap in Zibby when he starts to fade. Between the 2 of them, we'd actually get a full season of compete.

Add Klein and Berglund to balance out positions?

Klein + Zibanejad + Rangers 2nd

For Shattenkirk + Berglund?

Schwartz - Zibanejad - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Fabbri
Sobotka - Lehtera - Perron
Upshall - Brodziak - Jaskin

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson - Parayko
Edmundson - Klein/Bortuzzo

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
NYR is one of the few teams he is rumored to only agree to sign an extension with... any team would be silly to acquire him without either an actual extension in place, or a verbal agreement that it will be signed once acquired.. its either gonna be a sign and trade or a trade with verbal agreement

If NYR is one of the few teams he has agreed to sign with an extension with why would we need a verbal agreement? We know he wants to sign here. All the more reason I believe your point of sign and trade to be wrong. We don't need to pay extra for an extension for a player that wants to be here.

Also, there is zero chance that we traded Brassard for a younger version of Brassard to turn around and trade him for Shattenkirk. Zibanejad is here to stay. As I tell a lot of my fellow Rangers fans, I think many of you are going to be disappointed with the return for Shattenkirk if this is how how your expectations are.

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid

Still don't get why that should mean a higher value for STL (ignoring that sign and trade utopia). Okay you let us talk to his agent, that's an asset itself, but it would be the equivalent of trading a UFA contract after the season and before the FA (as happened with Yandle or Goligoski this summer). So that plus would be a 4th/5th round pick at max. The rest is rental value.

Whitsmith803

Jul 11, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I believe the Blues already have a trade in the works kinda like the Zibanejad - Brassard was already agreed on two weeks ago-

I believe the Blues go two ways- Nash/Lindberg/2nd rd pick for Shattenkirk/Lehtera
or
Kreider/Hayes for Shattenkirk/Rattie
Both deals will have Shatty signed at 7 yrs/6.5 m @45.5

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Well time will tell.. I think NYR would give up a hefty package but we do we actually know haha

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Still don't get why that should mean a higher value for STL (ignoring that sign and trade utopia). Okay you let us talk to his agent, that's an asset itself, but it would be the equivalent of trading a UFA contract after the season and before the FA (as happened with Yandle or Goligoski this summer). So that plus would be a 4th/5th round pick at max. The rest is rental value.

except you're not talking to the agent after the season and before the FA.. you're doing it nearly a year in advance.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Shattenkirk has 1 year left and is going to be after a monster deal. I think you are getting ahead of yourself if you expect a tremendous return. Hayes is young, big, skilled and will be a top 6 player. Our entire team had a down year. He was no exception.

Lets not act like Hayes has a ton of potential, his only big college year was when he was with Johnny Hockey.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As soon as I saw Gorton's post trade quotes when he said "This can allow us to take on a bigger contract" I immediately figured he would be targeting Shattenkirk.

something around Nash or Kreider.
Nash sure, Kreider no way.

I think this prediction he may actually technically get right.... but then again majority of us knew that Shattenkirk to NYR has always been one of the most likely destinations

Kreider will be heading to St Louis

It is more likely either
Blues will relent and send Shatty as a rental, in which case the cost drops;
or
NY will wait for him post season for free.
Remember, to get over on the expansion draft, we need to ask him to wait until that is finished while he is unattached UFA, which saves us a precious slot on a body to protect. Then, after, we can sign him big bucks, long term.

If they trade for him one of Girardi or Staal MUST be traded/more likely bought out before the expansion draft, to be able to resign Shattenkirk and keep him. I'd offer him 6.75x7.
Shatty in NY needs to happen, a guy like him fits like a glove in every aspect, so I wouldn't mind to trade for him now to make sure it happens, even if we could acquire him for free in one year. But they have to follow the right steps.
It needs to happen, but not with avoidable expense.
And we can not buyout wonder twins. 8 years of cap hit is too much. This is not like amnesty buyout, 1 x, just costs $.

Regardless of my thoughts on Eklund as a source, to me this just seems like he is putting obvious pieces together.

We lost Yandle. We have an abundance of bottom 6 C's in our system and Hayes doesn't need to be stuck on the third line.

Hayes + for Shattenkirk would be my guess.

Plausible. Closer in line w/rental value.
But I'd rather use other currency than our young core.
Also, Hayes + Kreider are many reasons for Vesey to consider NY. Moving either is not smart.

Shattenkirk has 1 year left and is going to be after a monster deal. I think you are getting ahead of yourself if you expect a tremendous return. Hayes is young, big, skilled and will be a top 6 player. Our entire team had a down year. He was no exception.
Concur.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

If he is just getting rental prices, why would we trade him to NYR? You guys don't exactly have an overwhelming crop of futures (the usual cost of a rental). Other teams may be interested in him for rental price. If rental price is the best NYR are willing to offer, Armstrong will wait for overpayment at the deadline or let him walk. He's already played chicken on this for over a year waiting to get the best return for Shattenkirk.

If you want him on your team this year and you want to guarantee you have the best shot to sign him going forward, you pay up more than rental. Otherwise there is no deal. Armstrong will call your bluff.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Pass on trading Kreider, Hayes or Miller.

Would rather trade Zuccarello. For young players.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I believe the Blues already have a trade in the works kinda like the Zibanejad - Brassard was already agreed on two weeks ago-

I believe the Blues go two ways- Nash/Lindberg/2nd rd pick for Shattenkirk/Lehtera
or
Kreider/Hayes for Shattenkirk/Rattie
Both deals will have Shatty signed at 7 yrs/6.5 m @45.5

Contrary to popular belief, not all trades happen spur of the moment. Some take weeks to finally get it to be right for both teams.

Well time will tell.. I think NYR would give up a hefty package but we do we actually know haha

I dunno. You are right. Only time will tell. I can totally see Shattenkirk playing for us next year. I just can't see Gorton giving up Kreider or Miller for an extension on a player that wants to be here.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Lets not act like Hayes has a ton of potential, his only big college year was when he was with Johnny Hockey.

And then he came in and put up 45 points in his rookie year. Lets not act like he is a 4th liner with no potential. I can understand the hesitation because he had a down year last year but he still put up 36 points on the 3rd line. He is only 24. It isn't like he can't get any better. People were saying over and over yesterday that Zibanejad is 23 and still has tons of potential. Hayes turned 24 two months ago and he doesn't have any?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And what? His 45 point rookie year was just him riding the high of having been in college with such an amazing player?

And then he came in and put up 45 points in his rookie year. Lets not act like he is a 4th liner with no potential. I can understand the hesitation because he had a down year last year but he still put up 36 points on the 3rd line. He is only 24. It isn't like he can't get any better. People were saying over and over yesterday that Zibanejad is 23 and still has tons of potential. Hayes turned 24 two months ago and he doesn't have any?

I never said he was worthless, but when I've watched him, I always got the sense that he'd remain a 40ish point guy. I don't see him being a center long-term and he played RW in college too. He's not really that physical and he has consistency issues. I've never been high on the guy, and this dates back to when he was drafted. His skating and goal-scoring are 2 areas that are big limits in him progressing IMO.

We have a similar player, granted he's older, but we have a similar player in Lehtera.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I never said he was worthless, but when I've watched him, I always got the sense that he'd remain a 40ish point guy. I don't see him being a center long-term and he played RW in college too. He's not really that physical and he has consistency issues. I've never been high on the guy, and this dates back to when he was drafted. His skating and goal-scoring are 2 areas that are big limits in him progressing IMO.

Fair enough. I think this year will be a tell tale on whether he does remain as a 40 point guy or can improve on his great rookie year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad