Eklund Rumor: Rangers to trade for Shattenkirk?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fair enough. I think this year will be a tell tale on whether he does remain as a 40 point guy or can improve on his great rookie year.

Agreed. It's probably not make or break, but it's definitely a prove it type year for him. He's either a useful 3rd liner or he can show top 6 ability. I'm not saying he is bad, just his trade value right now is kind of limited.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I would like a 3 way for 600 Alex

To EDM Staal

To NYR Shattenkirk

To STL Eberle

Lol.

Why the **** would Edmonton do this? They just doing favors for NYR now? Why wouldn't Edmonton rather have Shattenkirk over Staal and cut out the middle man?

NYR would take this and run as far away as humanly possible.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The Rangers are not a Shattenkirk away from being very good,

If they trade for him it better still be "part" of something else. Not, hey we added in a little youth and a 2nd, lets move a little youth and a 1st for Shattenkirk

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I never said he was worthless, but when I've watched him, I always got the sense that he'd remain a 40ish point guy. I don't see him being a center long-term and he played RW in college too. He's not really that physical and he has consistency issues. I've never been high on the guy, and this dates back to when he was drafted. His skating and goal-scoring are 2 areas that are big limits in him progressing IMO.

We have a similar player, granted he's older, but we have a similar player in Lehtera.

If you'd watch him more you'd realize his time on the wing in the NHL has been a disaster. He's a center and will be moving forward. He may never be a premier goal scorer, but he'll create a whole heck of a lot of them.

Hopefully the discussion is moot. I'm not at all interested in giving up one of our good young roster players for Shattenkirk.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
:rangers
Kevin Shattenkirk $4.25
Patrick Berglund $3.7
Magnus Paajarvi $0.7

:blues
Rick Nash $7.8
Kevin Klein $2.6

Blues add about a million in cap and the Rangers go full Swedish mafia in two days.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
New York fans also think Shattenkirk wouldn't do well here because AV has shown just how much he was able to misuse Yandle so why should Shats be any different?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If you'd watch him more you'd realize his time on the wing in the NHL has been a disaster. He's a center and will be moving forward. He may never be a premier goal scorer, but he'll create a whole heck of a lot of them.

Hopefully the discussion is moot. I'm not at all interested in giving up one of our good young roster players for Shattenkirk.

And he sucks at faceoffs, so that's not good.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
New York fans also think Shattenkirk wouldn't do well here because AV has shown just how much he was able to misuse Yandle so why should Shats be any different?

I see this a lot and I've really liked AV as a coach, so would you elaborate on this a bit more? Just curious.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Well this guarantees that Shatty won't be a Ranger. If Eklund predicts it, it definitely isn't happening.

Last edited:

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I see this a lot and I've really liked AV as a coach, so would you elaborate on this a bit more? Just curious.

Among other things, AV has this weird accountability policy where some players can murder someone on the ice and not miss any playing time (Glass, Girardi) while others can blow a tire and be benched for a month (Lindberg, McIlrath, Miller to a lesser extent).

Yandle played 3rd pair minutes for us while Girardi played 1st pair minutes. Nothing has changed to make us believe that the same fate wouldn't await Shattenkirk.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Among other things, AV has this weird accountability policy where some players can murder someone on the ice and not miss any playing time (Glass, Girardi) while others can blow a tire and be benched for a month (Lindberg, McIlrath, Miller to a lesser extent).

Yandle played 3rd pair minutes for us while Girardi played 1st pair minutes. Nothing has changed to make us believe that the same fate wouldn't await Shattenkirk.

Beyond the exaggeration, to me it looked like Yandle received heavy offensive minutes with big sheltering, and Girardi received big defensive minutes. Do you believe that Yandle should've received different type of minutes or just more minutes? His ES minutes were on par with everyone else, and he received the most PP time and no SH time.

That's the type of minutes that Shattenkirk should receive to be successful, Yandle too. I don't mean to say you guys are wrong, I just want to figure out where and how you guys think AV went wrong.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Yandle averaged top 4 ES TOI.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...evTimeOnIcePerGame&aggregate=0&teamId=3&pos=D

AV just didn't trust him to start in the DZ very often.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ense&minutes=200&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Second year center sucks at faceoffs. Not exactly news. He can improve there.

5th worst of forwards with at least 100 faceoffs, and a career 36.2%. He was also a winger in college, so kind of optimistic to think he can be a full-time NHL center.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

He was 1 second ATOI off Marc Staal for 5th. The 6th spot was a mix of the corpse of Dan Boyle, Chris Summers, and the only defenseman AV hated more than Yandle in Dylan McIlrath.

Yandle being the second best player (and at times the best player) on the d core should not have been essentially tied for the lowest ATOI of our regular defensemen.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Can someone please explain to me why some Rangers fans think they should get Shatty at rental prices even if he comes extended?

If he comes extended, then you've got a player locked up for 6-8 years. That's not a rental. If the argument is, that he'd just sign with the Rangers anyway in a year as a UFA, that's assuming that he would 1. make it to UFA (he could easily be traded somewhere else and decide to re-sign with that team) and 2. If he does reach UFA, that he'd 100% sign with the Rangers. While I'm sure the Rangers are on his short list, it's far from a guarantee.

The price would be higher for an extended Shatty because it would negate a ton of risk for the Rangers - they'd absolutely have their guy and would have him locked up longterm. Not to mention you'd have him for helping your team this season...something that's not available with the "try to sign him as a UFA" option. For all of those reasons, an extended Shatty should absolutely cost more than a non-extended Shatty.

If Army was willing to trade Shatty as a rental, why even bother with the Rangers? They don't exactly have great assets that could help the Blues outside of Zibanejad and McDonaugh. They're just not great trade partners IMO. If Army was willing to trade Shatty as a rental he would've been traded by now. The reason why it's taking so long is because Army is trying to maximize value by trading Shatty to a team he'll sign an extension with.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Can someone please explain to me why some Rangers fans think they should get Shatty at rental prices even if he comes extended?

If he comes extended, then you've got a player locked up for 6-8 years. That's not a rental. If the argument is, that he'd just sign with the Rangers anyway in a year as a UFA, that's assuming that he would 1. make it to UFA (he could easily be traded somewhere else and decide to re-sign with that team) and 2. If he does reach UFA, that he'd 100% sign with the Rangers. While I'm sure the Rangers are on his short list, it's far from a guarantee.

The price would be higher for an extended Shatty because it would negate a ton of risk for the Rangers - they'd absolutely have their guy and would have him locked up longterm. Not to mention you'd have him for helping your team this season...something that's not available with the "try to sign him as a UFA" option. For all of those reasons, an extended Shatty should absolutely cost more than a non-extended Shatty.

If Army was willing to trade Shatty as a rental, why even bother with the Rangers? They don't exactly have great assets that could help the Blues outside of Zibanejad and McDonaugh. They're just not great trade partners IMO. If Army was willing to trade Shatty as a rental he would've been traded by now. The reason why it's taking so long is because Army is trying to maximize value by trading Shatty to a team he'll sign an extension with.

exactly my thoughts and that's what ive been saying too.

Boston is rumored to be extremely interested so im sure Army would gladly look at that option too

also there is the bonus of him being under contract next year for a very steal rate of 4.25 mill(or whatever it is) so it gives that team a year to figure everything out cap wise before his new extension kicks in

a deal involving Shattenkirk isn't going to be rental prices and if fans think that, they will be upset what is going back to STL... cause its gonna be a pretty big return

but as I said before, who really knows!!

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I don't know who you are referring to in this post. What I have been saying is there is no point in the Rangers paying extra to have him signed since we know he wants to play here. We pay a rental price, for a guy with 1 year left and re-sign him on our own.

I have never bought into the UFA argument. You are correct. Just because he may want to play here doesn't mean he would sign here if we wait it out. Thats why I am saying trade for him now and re-sign him ourselves. Its foolish for us to pay extra for him to be extended.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
He was 1 second ATOI off Marc Staal for 5th. The 6th spot was a mix of the corpse of Dan Boyle, Chris Summers, and the only defenseman AV hated more than Yandle in Dylan McIlrath.

Yandle being the second best player (and at times the best player) on the d core should not have been essentially tied for the lowest ATOI of our regular defensemen.

Yandle was used how he should be used. Sheltered on the third pair and put into a lot of offensive situations. If he is a top two guy on the blue line your in trouble cause his defense is just not good enough to be there.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
plus it all depends what STL wants in return... maybe they want picks/prospects in return so it opens cap space or maybe they want an NHL player/prospect in return. We don't know... maybe they are looking for picks/prospects and Boston will give that up where as maybe NYR wants/needs to send back salary... or vice versa.

Its impossible knowing what the return will be cause we don't know what STL is targetting

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
plus it all depends what STL wants in return... maybe they want picks/prospects in return so it opens cap space or maybe they want an NHL player/prospect in return. We don't know... maybe they are looking for picks/prospects and Boston will give that up where as maybe NYR wants/needs to send back salary... or vice versa.

Its impossible knowing what the return will be cause we don't know what STL is targetting

I find it hard to believe they would want anything less than a top 6 player.

They're in win now mode for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad