Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Artemi Panarin (7 years, $11.64M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I don't think Names is overpaid. I'm fine with his salary.

Right now? Hank is overpaid by about $3-3.5M.

I only mention Hank here since Chimp will literally never, ever say anything bad about him or his contract while ****ting on others. He holds certain players of certain nationalities to different standards (if you haven't figured it out, yet).
Because he's ****ing earned it. The only constant through constant rotations of the NYR rosters for 14 years has been Lundqvist, for a damn reason. He's in discussions of being in the HHOF when he retires, without a cup. That's why. Any other HHOF material who've been overpaid on this team? Not even close.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
An unrealistic world. Sure, I agree, except that it's laughable that Karlsson should earn $8m, if Panarin should earn $10m. Karlsson was a PPG player on one leg, twice.
The only thing laughable is dismissing the notion that an already oft injured, slowing down, aging EK on the wrong side of 30 will definitely not regress massively and soon.

If you want to believe he returns to 70-80pt EK flying up and down the ice until he's 38, cool, but to assume it's a certainty just makes you seem waaaaaay too high on your own opinions

Reactions: haveandare

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Namestnikov produced well with elite players. Maybe he centers Panarin and does well.

I'm not sold on Namestnikov long term but at the very least, maybe he can hold down the 2C spot during the year, jack up his trade value, and bring back a first at the deadline.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The only thing laughable is dismissing the notion that an already oft injured, slowing down, aging EK on the wrong side of 30 will definitely not regress massively and soon.

If you want to believe he returns to 70-80pt EK flying up and down the ice until he's 38, cool, but to assume it's a certainty just makes you seem waaaaaay too high on your own opinions
The reason for that is, as long as Karlsson is healthy (yes, always a risk signing players, as any player), he will still be a dominant player. He has already shown he doesn't need his speed to dominate the ice. The only thing slowing him down is if he will continue to pile up injuries. Him aging will be fine, he has already shown he can handle himself while not being as great on his skates. His will power, hockey mind and soft hands seems to make up for it.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I don't think Names is overpaid. I'm fine with his salary.

Right now? Hank is overpaid by about $3-3.5M.

I only mention Hank here since Chimp will literally never, ever say anything bad about him or his contract while ****ting on others. He holds certain players of certain nationalities to different standards (if you haven't figured it out, yet).

Hank was way too good for me to say he's overpaid by anymore than 2...maybe...maaaaaybe 2.5.

Put him on a team with even average D last year and he has top 10 production in the league last year. With an AHL quality defense he still was more than respectable.

I don't feel like Namest has brought much of anything to this team...not even points. Guy has 35, 38, 48 and 31 points. The 48 coming from feeding off of a top line role in the offensive juggernaut that is TB. He seems like a 30 point guy. Not something I would ever want to throw 4 M at unless he's also a great bottom 6 C who plays shut down D and wins faceoffs.

Even removing Names you still had like 4 guys more overpaid than Hank who are way less valuable back then, now and going forward. So f*** SHattenkirk, Staal, Smith and Girardi, along with the 8-12 M they're collectively being overpaid well before I say f*** hank

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'm not sold on Namestnikov long term but at the very least, maybe he can hold down the 2C spot during the year, jack up his trade value, and bring back a first at the deadline.

Namestnikov probably won't be on the team let alone bringing back a 1st. And while I don't think the typical GM is very good at his job I think he is good enough to recognize Namestnikov's good offensive totals only come when with a Kucherov or Panarin.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
... Even removing Names you still had like 4 guys more overpaid than Hank who are way less valuable back then, now and going forward. So **** SHattenkirk, Staal, Smith and Girardi, along with the 8-12 M they're collectively being overpaid well before I say **** hank
Speaking of which, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that all these bums being defensemen makes it a whole lot tougher to play in net behind this bunch. And yes, one of them being paid $3.5m NOT to play here.

Namestnikov is a dime of a dozen player. That's why he was given away by Tampa, for a reason. NYR was fleeced in that McD + Miller deal. I still don't understand why the organization had to give away players for free, just because they decided to have a firesale, because Vigneault convinced them the roster was useless (when in fact, it was the coach that made them look so useless, they decided to blow everything up). The blow up wasn't needed, all they needed to do was to get rid of Vigneault.

I'm damn sure if the NYR would've continued with business as usual and just fired Vigneault, things would look better. But sure, at least it gave Kakko, so it was worth something.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Namestnikov is a dime of a dozen player. That's why he was given away by Tampa, for a reason. NYR was fleeced in that McD + Miller deal.
Not to bring up old arguments, but Gorton was fleeced by Tampa? Really?

Nametsnikov can be a very good third line player on this team or any other team. Not a $4m, but the point remains. Changed his game around for Quinn. Hardly dime a dozen.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
The reason for that is, as long as Karlsson is healthy (yes, always a risk signing players, as any player), he will still be a dominant player. He has already shown he doesn't need his speed to dominate the ice. The only thing slowing him down is if he will continue to pile up injuries. Him aging will be fine, he has already shown he can handle himself while not being as great on his skates. His will power, hockey mind and soft hands seems to make up for it.

There's a difference between what you're saying now compared to what you said before. Now you're sounding reasonable and saying there's a good chance, in your mind, that EK's talents can keep him dominant.

I still maintain that almost no players make it to even their early 30s while playing at their peak or while being dominant. But there are some so maybe EK will be one.

Before you were saying something VERY different. You were telling me it's laughable to think that a guy might just slow down by the time he's 32 when he's already been injured and slowed down a little. To me, that's bullshit what you said before. It's feasible what you're saying now.

This is just me but I'm looking 5 years ahead.

I strongly suspect EK will fall off a cliff. I'm a lot more worried about him maintaining a high level of play until he's 34/35 than I am worried about Artemi doing it until he's 31/32.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Oh, we're in "right now" mode? Sure, Karlsson is currently resting from a successful groin surgery. But when Karlsson is healthy, he's twice the player Panarin is. And even on one leg, Karlsson is a better player than Panarin. So there's that.

No, there really isn't "that." It's pretty silly to be saying things like this.

Get your hot takes from the Debbie Downers!

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
There's a difference between what you're saying now compared to what you said before. Now you're sounding reasonable and saying there's a good chance, in your mind, that EK's talents can keep him dominant.

I still maintain that almost no players make it to even their early 30s while playing at their peak or while being dominant. But there are some so maybe EK will be one.

Before you were saying something VERY different. You were telling me it's laughable to think that a guy might just slow down by the time he's 32 when he's already been injured and slowed down a little. To me, that's bull**** what you said before. It's feasible what you're saying now.

This is just me but I'm looking 5 years ahead.

I strongly suspect EK will fall off a cliff. I'm a lot more worried about him maintaining a high level of play until he's 34/35 than I am worried about Artemi doing it until he's 31/32.
Well, sorry about that, I shouldn't be so aggressive and overly dramatic with my wording. And/ or perhaps, be more specific for the reasons why I claim something. Time will tell, I still put my money on Karlsson.

If I'm to say something positive about signing Panarin, it's that I think the 1st line will look really good in the upcoming future. NYR should hope also Kakko is ready for the big show, then maybe the NYR can scrap together two quality lines. Maybe. The depth doesn't look that great and the defense still looks shaky, Trouba or not. It's up to Skjei to show he can earn his contract, Pionk is gone (YAY!) and maybe the coach can hide the dead meat on the bench. The defensive depth still looks really bad.

The losses of Zuccarello and Hayes didn't help, but when I see the contracts they made, holy hell, I can see why the brass room ditched them for picks.
Not to bring up old arguments, but Gorton was fleeced by Tampa? Really?

Nametsnikov can be a very good third line player on this team or any other team. Not a $4m, but the point remains. Changed his game around for Quinn. Hardly dime a dozen.
Yes, I think so. I certainly think so. McD AND Miller for that return? Holy hell was that a one-sided trade. Namestnikov isn't a particulary special player, he can be replaced in no time for what he brings, even if I feel he has another gear that we rarely, or never get to see. McD's problem wasn't that he's on a decline, under Vigneault (key component), it's that he played defense surrounded by garbage. Miller can be iffy, but when he's on, he's on.

McD has at stretches been the most solid defenseman in Tampa, according to their fanbase. That's a start for being fleeced in a trade.

Last edited:

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I'm hopeful Gorton continue the plan of accruing draft pics for the next year or two even with the team looking to turn the corner. 2020 and 2021 are (2) drafts where the Rangers should be picking 3-4 times in the first two rounds again. Those picks may not be top-5 or top-10 (although next year is still a possibility as BRB said earlier) but the scouting group should have a few chances to continue adding to the pipeline.

Feels like they have ammo: Kreider, Namestnikov on a rebound year potentially, Buch potentially? All could be guys on the move in the next year or two which could fetch first(s) and/or second(s).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
An unrealistic world. Sure, I agree, except that it's laughable that Karlsson should earn $8m, if Panarin should earn $10m. Karlsson was a PPG player on one leg, twice.

So what? You think Georgiev would be up to being a starter and take the bigger load? It's one thing to be a solid backup, a whole other thing to be the starter. Physically, Hank is fine. He has reportedly said this was his toughest season so far, because of the mentality. I don't get what to be upset about. The team is carved up, the core players basically given away and the team loses? The team is supposed to lose. So what if your goalie underperforms behind a tire fire that is supposed to lose as much as possible? Large portions of the fanbase cheered when the team lost and lost towards the end of the season. But he's supposed to turn things around single handedly? Like old times?

Give him some competent players out there, that are supposed to win and things might look different. He will try to honour his contract, as long as the franchise also wants him to win games, which is what he sees he's paid for.

I'd gladly pocket the $8M difference. Without hesitation. I'd even give George a $1M bonus check for the sake of it all.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Speaking of which, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that all these bums being defensemen makes it a whole lot tougher to play in net behind this bunch. And yes, one of them being paid $3.5m NOT to play here.

Namestnikov is a dime of a dozen player. That's why he was given away by Tampa, for a reason. NYR was fleeced in that McD + Miller deal. I still don't understand why the organization had to give away players for free, just because they decided to have a firesale, because Vigneault convinced them the roster was useless (when in fact, it was the coach that made them look so useless, they decided to blow everything up). The blow up wasn't needed, all they needed to do was to get rid of Vigneault.

I'm damn sure if the NYR would've continued with business as usual and just fired Vigneault, things would look better. But sure, at least it gave Kakko, so it was worth something.

Unfortunately Av brutalized McD's value and Miller is just an asshole imo who does not have much value around the league. Why van gave up a first for him baffles me.

Put it this way, Names in TB got buoyed to 44 points before being traded to us. If he stays with TB he gets close to the 54 points JT had last year with TB.

JT was a middle-bottom 6 player with us. Names is about the same. Those two pretty much cancel each other out in value imo.

So was Howden, a first and Hajek enough for McD? Jury is still out on Howden and Hajek but I really like what I've seen from both. All the draft capital we acquired between TB and others got us Nils, K. Miller and Chytil.

In other words hell yes. TB overpaid imo considering what AV did to McD's value and we chose very, very wisely with the prospects we got.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Well, sorry about that, I shouldn't be so aggressive and overly dramatic with my wording. And/ or perhaps, be more specific for the reasons why I claim something. Time will tell, I still put my money on Karlsson.

If I'm to say something positive about signing Panarin, it's that I think the 1st line will look really good in the upcoming future. NYR should hope also Kakko is ready for the big show, then maybe the NYR can scrap together two quality lines. Maybe. The depth doesn't look that great and the defense still looks shaky, Trouba or not. It's up to Skjei to show he can earn his contract, Pionk is gone (YAY!) and maybe the coach can hide the dead meat on the bench. The defensive depth still looks really bad.

The losses of Zuccarello and Hayes didn't help, but when I see the contracts they made, holy hell, I can see why the brass room ditched them for picks.

Yes, I think so. I certainly think so. McD AND Miller for that return? Holy hell was that a one-sided trade. Namestnikov isn't a particulary special player, he can be replaced in no time for what he brings. McD's problem wasn't that he's on a decline, under Vigneault (key component), it's that he played defense surrounded by garbage. Miller can be iffy, but when he's on, he's on.

McD has at stretches been the most solid defenseman in Tampa, according to their fanbase. That's a start for being fleeced in a trade.
It's ok. It's like HF cliche # 875,231: saying something fairly reasonable and getting insulted for it anyway lol.

Everyone does it on HF...

or they do worse and build strawmen, put words in your mouth or tell you you never made a point even when you can quote 8 pages worth of discussion showing otherwise.

Then you blow up at what dishonest pieces of crap they're being and lose the ability to like posts, which is why I can't like your pretty rare admission that you got a bit overzealous.

Seems like it punishes posters who deserved a little thumbs up/like in their notifications but, hey, I'm not in charge of the site that routinely shuts down large portions of it's structure and struggles financially so who am I to question their decisions

Reactions: Chimp

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Unfortunately Av brutalized McD's value and Miller is just an ******* imo who does not have much value around the league. Why van gave up a first for him baffles me.

Put it this way, Names in TB got buoyed to 44 points before being traded to us. If he stays with TB he gets close to the 54 points JT had last year with TB.

JT was a middle-bottom 6 player with us. Names is about the same. Those two pretty much cancel each other out in value imo.

So was Howden, a first and Hajek enough for McD? Jury is still out on Howden and Hajek but I really like what I've seen from both. All the draft capital we acquired between TB and others got us Nils, K. Miller and Chytil.

In other words hell yes. TB overpaid imo considering what AV did to McD's value and we chose very, very wisely with the prospects we got.
The only silver lining is that Philly is cheering they have Vigneault as a coach. I will enjoy watching their defense detoriate like a tissue in a rain storm. Especially since they considered the warnings by both Canucks and Rangers fans to be "jealousy" and "exagerrated". Maybe a tiny bit exagerrated, but not by much. I've never seen a coach be such a detriment to his team before on a professional level. "Hybrid man to man defense", in a game where even the zone defense tactics have a hard time keeping up with the puck tempo. Philly fans think they're used to allowing alot of goals. Well, we have news for them.

Sorry, going OT now, on to Panarin. It's not that I dislike him, he's a really good player, I only dislike the contract.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If Strome can be a utility guy who can provide 40 points, in a variety of different roles, I'll be thrilled.

When we start getting into hoping for a solid second line center, I think that's tended to be where the wheels have fallen off for Strome during his tenure as an NHL player.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
If Strome can be a utility guy who can provide 40 points, in a variety of different roles, I'll be thrilled.

When we start getting into hoping for a solid second line center, I think that's tended to be where the wheels have fallen off for Strome during his tenure as an NHL player.
I really like the idea of him playing third fiddle to Pan and Mika

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Other than him being Not Spooner why do we like Strome? 1.32 points/60 despite shooting almost 17% himself. That's really bad production. In addition to some terrible possession statistics, one of the lowest shot rates in the league, and a lot of penalties. Bad on faceoffs too.

Reactions: Raspewtin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad