Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Artemi Panarin (7 years, $11.64M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
rangerbreadman.jpg

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He will eventually play that game but he is not what I would classify as a 'punishing' player.

Perhaps the word 'soft' was incorrect but this team is not one that will be difficult to play against in a playoff series should they get there.

6 of the last 10 Cups (Chi, Pit, Was) have been won by teams that could be considered soft overall, but who maybe have a couple of gritty players. What made them difficult to play against in the playoffs?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Holy hell what an expensive contract. Goodbye cap space. Seeing all these ridiculous contracts, it's only a question when there will be a new lockout, because the owners and GM's can't keep a budget.

Panarin is a good player, but he's nowhere close to $11.6m good. 7 years?! Classic Rangers. He earns more than Erik Karlsson. Lol.
If you play Panarin as a D man, he’s going to be just as good offensively and just as terrible defensively

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Oh, we're in "right now" mode? Sure, Karlsson is currently resting from a successful groin surgery. But when Karlsson is healthy, he's twice the player Panarin is. And even on one leg, Karlsson is a better player than Panarin. So there's that.

I get the big contract worry, but you're severely underrating Panarin. Have you watched any of the playoffs this season? He's a gamebreaker and one of the main reasons they swept Tampa. He was dominant in the playoffs last season as well

Also, unlike some of our other UFA signings, this isn't a guy that had one good season and then cashed in... he's scored ~30 goals in each one of his four seasons thus far. And because he came into the league late he doesn't have a ton of mileage on him

There's definitely a risk as with any long contract, but there's also reason to get excited.

Reactions: egelband

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
6 of the last 10 Cups (Chi, Pit, Was) have been won by teams that could be considered soft overall, but who maybe have a couple of gritty players. What made them difficult to play against in the playoffs?

I think if you look at he last couple of Stanley Cup winners, you will see that pendulum starting to swing back towards the punishing style that won prior to the skill teams.

I'm not saying ignore skill, all I'm saying is they should look to augment this group with one or two guys who can play a consistently physical game. Lemieux is a good example of the type of guy I'm talking about. Trouba is a good addition. Go find another couple of guys who can lean on people and I think they are good. A guy like Acciari (not him specifically) or Barbeshev. Guys who can play the game, add to the team and wear other teams skill players down over a long series.

I wouldn't consider Washington soft.

Let's look at Chicago's rosters that won The Cup:

2010:
Brouwer
Byfugulien
Eager
Bickell
Versteeg
Sabrook
Ladd
- I wouldn't exactly call Keith or Campbell soft as at this time they were both willing to throw open ice hits

2013:
Bickell
Shaw
Carcillo
Bollig

2015:
Shaw
Seabrok
Bickell
Desjardins
Carcillo

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
I get the big contract worry, but you're severely underrating Panarin. Have you watched any of the playoffs this season? He's a gamebreaker and one of the main reasons they swept Tampa. He was dominant in the playoffs last season as well

Also, unlike some of our other UFA signings, this isn't a guy that had one good season and then cashed in... he's scored ~30 goals in each one of his four seasons thus far. And because he came into the league late he doesn't have a ton of mileage on him

There's definitely a risk as with any long contract, but there's also reason to get excited.

I was a big anti-Panarin guy, not because of how good he is (he is), but because I think the Rangers peak is in 3 years and during that time there will be a lot of options the Rangers that we can't see and won't be able to take advantage of now.

However, we're here...he's signed. Its on. Time to move on. Now, they have to move wings for space and continue to do intelligent moves.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I'm not agreeing with the way Valliquette said it (North Americans) however I believe his point stands. The team is a bit soft and undersized currently, especially if they trade Kreider.

the issue is with how he said it not the underlying message...if he had said look at the playoffs you still need size, gritty and toughness and left out the euro/NA part it would have been fine.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
I was a big anti-Panarin guy, not because of how good he is (he is), but because I think the Rangers peak is in 3 years and during that time there will be a lot of options the Rangers that we can't see and won't be able to take advantage of now.

However, we're here...he's signed. Its on. Time to move on. Now, they have to move wings for space and continue to do intelligent moves.

Gorton/JD and Co. aren't dummies. I'm sure they have significantly more intel about the CBA/Salary Cap than any of us do. If I was a betting man, I'd say the new CBA would result in a much less restrictive cap structure. If this is the case, then this contract will look much better, while making NY a better destination due to the fact that we already have impact players.

The more I think about this move, the more I see it as a short and long term win.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think if you look at he last couple of Stanley Cup winners, you will see that pendulum starting to swing back towards the punishing style that won prior to the skill teams.

I'm not saying ignore skill, all I'm saying is they should look to augment this group with one or two guys who can play a consistently physical game. Lemieux is a good example of the type of guy I'm talking about. Trouba is a good addition. Go find another couple of guys who can lean on people and I think they are good. A guy like Acciari (not him specifically) or Barbeshev. Guys who can play the game, add to the team and wear other teams skill players down over a long series.

2010:
Brouwer
Byfugulien
Eager
Bickell
Versteeg
Sabrook
Ladd
- I wouldn't exactly call Keith or Campbell soft as at this time they were both willing to throw open ice hits

2013:
Bickell
Shaw
Carcillo
Bollig

2015:
Shaw
Seabrok
Bickell
Desjardins
Carcillo

Versteeg? Seabrook? C'mon man. Also, almost every single person you listed was a bottom-6 player.

Outside of Wilson, Ovechkin, and DSP... I don't think there was a single "physical" forward on that Washington team.

The Rangers will have those types of bottom-6ers. It'll be Lemieux, like you mentioned, and guys like Andersson (if that's where he tops out), and maybe a Gettinger. I'm not worried about it.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Versteeg? Seabrook? C'mon man. Also, almost every single person you listed was a bottom-6 player.

Outside of Wilson, Ovechkin, and DSP... I don't think there was a single "physical" forward on that Washington team.

The Rangers will have those types of bottom-6ers. It'll be Lemieux, like you mentioned, and guys like Andersson (if that's where he tops out), and maybe a Gettinger. I'm not worried about it.

I'm not calling for them to go out and try ad trade for Matthew Tkachuk. Augmenting the bottom of the roster with guys who can dole out some punishment is now frowned upon in these parts?

Procrastinator

Aug 7, 2005

2010:
Brouwer
Byfugulien
Eager
Bickell
Versteeg
Sabrook
Ladd

2013:
Bickell
Shaw
Carcillo
Bollig

2015:
Shaw
Seabrok
Bickell
Desjardins
Carcillo

Playoff hockey is mostly dictated by referees and the calls they make or lack there of. Though mostly consistent, you really can’t judge year in year out how to build your playoff team because of that factor.

Having said that I would build my team around talent rather than plumbers hoping that the referees put away the whistle in playoff hockey the way they did in the 80’s 90’s 20’s.

Reactions: JCProdigy

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Playoff hockey is mostly dictated by referees and the calls they make or lack there of. Though mostly consistent, you really can’t judge year in year out how to build your playoff team because of that factor.

Having said that I would build my team around talent rather than plumbers hoping that the referees put away the whistle in playoff hockey the way they did in the 80’s 90’s 20’s.

I understand and agree with your post. I am not, nor ever will advocate for building a team around pugnacity. All I am advocating for is to keep other facets in mind so as to build a team who can play multiple styles when required.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Same. He's a Ranger. Now we just have to hope it works out as management envisions it. I trust Gorton, so if he thinks it's the right move, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I just hope that they don't start making moves with the idea that we have to compete sooner rather than later because the clock is ticking on Panarin. At the same time, I'm not enamored of the idea of wasting Panarin's best years on a team that can't realistically compete for the cup. It's a catch-22, which is why I wasn't in favor of it. If this team can naturally compete sooner than expected due to the development of the kids, then this should turn out very well. If not, I worry for what we might do when all that cap space comes off the books in 2 years. Regardless, it should be interesting.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm not calling for them to go out and try ad trade for Matthew Tkachuk. Augmenting the bottom of the roster with guys who can dole out some punishment is now frowned upon in these parts?

I didn't say that... but you're talking as if we have no one there, when the reality is that we're already about on par with many successful playoff teams. How many players like that does a team really need? If Lemieux, Howden, Andersson, and maybe one cheap guy from outside the organization are on our 3rd and 4th lines, that's plenty of grit down there.

First, you said the team was undersized, which was patently untrue. You also said they were soft, but changed that to "not difficult to play in the playoffs"... but plenty of teams have been difficult to play against in the playoffs despite not having many of the players you describe. And beyond that, I think the size the Rangers do have in the top-6 is going to give teams fits in the playoffs. Not because they're going to throw hits and be pugnacious, but because they're going to be able to control the puck in the offensive zone like few other teams.

You worry too much about this topic.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It was only yesterday when I took the vote in the other thread about "wanting" Panarin and the vote was no. Not because he isn't a tremendous player, he is. This was after I heard what his asking price was and it was mainly the reason why. Of course age is another factor, he's going to be old (in hockey standards) once his contract ends and I'm not sure if it's very good when you weight in the average age of the "young guns" in the team. The deal pretty much sealed the rebuild for NYR and considering the potential high picks in the next few drafts, they're going to be so far out of reach now especially with addition of Kakko and acquiring Trouba.

Anyway what's done is done and I hope it turns out great. It certainly should be great seeing Kakko and Panarin just make a mockery out of NJD if not next year, then the year after!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Speed, not toughness.

Anyone still advocating adding tough guys hasn't been paying attention to the post-lockout NHL.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Same. He's a Ranger. Now we just have to hope it works out as management envisions it. I trust Gorton, so if he thinks it's the right move, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I just hope that they don't start making moves with the idea that we have to compete sooner rather than later because the clock is ticking on Panarin. At the same time, I'm not enamored of the idea of wasting Panarin's best years on a team that can't realistically compete for the cup. It's a catch-22, which is why I wasn't in favor of it. If this team can naturally compete sooner than expected due to the development of the kids, then this should turn out very well. If not, I worry for what we might do when all that cap space comes off the books in 2 years. Regardless, it should be interesting.

I don't think the mindset has changed entirely. Sure, the expectations for this season are now higher in that they believe there is a chance they can make the playoffs. But I don't believe they expect to win it all. So they aren't going to be trading first round picks at the deadline on a rental. Next year will be the year everyone is looking for more and that is what they will continue to build for.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

I feel the same yet without the trust part.

Selling off good assets and not being good was the easy part, they went right from that to dedicating a larger percentage of cap, and for longer, than they have ever done before on a single player.

They skipped a step and I feel as if that will turn out to be an ongoing flaw.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
I feel the same yet without the trust part.

Selling off good assets and not being good was the easy part, they went right from that to dedicating a larger percentage of cap, and for longer, than they have ever done before on a single player.

They skipped a step and I feel as if that will turn out to be an ongoing flaw.

It’s actually slightly less than Gomez.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It was only yesterday when I took the vote in the other thread about "wanting" Panarin and the vote was no. Not because he isn't a tremendous player, he is. This was after I heard what his asking price was and it was mainly the reason why. Of course age is another factor, he's going to be old (in hockey standards) once his contract ends and I'm not sure if it's very good when you weight in the average age of the "young guns" in the team. The deal pretty much sealed the rebuild for NYR and considering the potential high picks in the next few drafts, they're going to be so far out of reach now especially with addition of Kakko and acquiring Trouba.

Anyway what's done is done and I hope it turns out great. It certainly should be great seeing Kakko and Panarin just make a mockery out of NJD if not next year, then the year after!

How long exactly should the "potential high picks" be in "reach" for this team? They got extremely lucky landing Kakko, and landed Trouba for almost nothing. If that wasn't the catalyst to get things moving faster than I don't know what is.

That all said, this team could very well stink again next year even with Panarin. They are that young and unpredictable.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Holy hell what an expensive contract. Goodbye cap space. Seeing all these ridiculous contracts, it's only a question when there will be a new lockout, because the owners and GM's can't keep a budget.

Panarin is a good player, but he's nowhere close to $11.6m good. 7 years?! Classic Rangers. He earns more than Erik Karlsson. Lol.

The sooner we can jettison Hank's contract the better.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The sooner we can jettison Hank's contract the better.
I don't know why he was so dumb as to make a NHL career for the Rangers. If he had played for a good team, he would have had a couple of more Vezinas and probably a cup or two. But he had to be stubborn and loyal. As for the contract, that's what you have to pay when you have no quality in the organization to match the player. Nash wouldn't have had that contract in Columbus, if he had some sort of supporting cast. It's the "our team suck" signing bonus when star players sign for mediocre teams.

But it was his odd choice and he's set for life. Hank still has some hockey left in him, but he's not good enough to save a tire fire as when he was younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad