Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Artemi Panarin (7 years, $11.64M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Holy hell what an expensive contract. Goodbye cap space. Seeing all these ridiculous contracts, it's only a question when there will be a new lockout, because the owners and GM's can't keep a budget.

Panarin is a good player, but he's nowhere close to $11.6m good. 7 years?! Classic Rangers. He earns more than Erik Karlsson. Lol.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

steve valiquette thinks we are now too euro-heavy...figured that would rustle some jimmies

"I want more North Americans. You need the leadership in the locker room. We have too many Europeans"

2018 Cup winner: 12 Europeans
2016 Cup winner: 9 Europeans
2015 Cup winner: 13 Europeans
2013 Cup winner: 8 Europeans

I expected more from Vali

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So now we have “The John Davidson-Jeff Gorton front-office tandem”. Would Panarin be signed if it was just the Gorton front-office?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So now we have “The John Davidson-Jeff Gorton front-office tandem”. Would Panarin be signed if it was just the Gorton front-office?

JD probably made it easier but there's more to it than just JD being in NY. Panarin's desire to play in NY was reported long before JD joined the Rangers

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
"I want more North Americans. You need the leadership in the locker room. We have too many Europeans"

2018 Cup winner: 12 Europeans
2016 Cup winner: 9 Europeans
2015 Cup winner: 13 Europeans
2013 Cup winner: 8 Europeans

I expected more from Vali

A few thoughts:
1. I think it’s unnecessary to use those terms.

2.If you are reading much into STL winning the cup vs Boston, it’s very naive. The series those teams played, many were total coin flips.

3. “STL and Boston proved that size is essential!!!” In the real world the goto forwards on both sides are really small.

BUT, do I think we need more grit? Definitely. But it can’t be some tired over-the-hill albi grit, some goon that drops them once in a while. Lemieux was exactly what we needed, young and hungry trying to prove himself. Brandon Prust was huge for us, also an up and coming player. Gorton should be looking to add more players like that.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There can be a finesse North American and gritty European player too. Jagr wasn't a basher but his entire game was physical. Look at Hornqvist.

Rangers have some good North American players in the pipeline. K. Miller and Baron among others. Robertson.

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
Seeing all these ridiculous contracts, it's only a question when there will be a new lockout, because the owners and GM's can't keep a budget.
I don't follow your logic, and I don't think a possible lockout will be due to big UFA contracts. NHL already has a hard salary cap that forces big spenders to stay within a budget, and smaller teams already stay within internal budgets. The only thing contracts like this are doing is redistributing the players share of the 50-50 revenue split. Basicly the big names are earning more and more while the average players are forced to take less, and an increasing number of lesser players are pushed near league minimum.

Now the increasing RFA contracts might be something owners are not happy about... or the older players for that matter. And sure the owners might not be happy with the 50-50 split, but that's another discussion entirely and would be happening no matter how the players share of the pie was distributed.

Reactions: egelband and romba

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I don't follow your logic, and I don't think a possible lockout will be due to big UFA contracts. NHL already has a hard salary cap that forces big spenders to stay within a budget, and smaller teams already stay within internal budgets. The only thing contracts like this are doing is redistributing the players share of the 50-50 revenue split. Basicly the big names are earning more and more while the average players are forced to take less, and an increasing number of lesser players are pushed near league minimum.

Now the increasing RFA contracts might be something owners are not happy about... or the older players for that matter. And sure the owners might not be happy with the 50-50 split, but that's another discussion entirely and would be happening no matter how the players share of the pie was distributed.
Because they handcuff themselves with this almost decade long contracts that are very high. They basically paint themselves into a corner. And then if the economy takes a big hit (which it will, this is a ponzi scheme economy), well... but not that the part of the economy is at the fault of the owners and GMs.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
Panarin's fan here. Did not read all the thread and no idea if that was covered. When Artemi came to the Blue Jackets, he chose number 9, because 9 is the sum of 7 and 2 (72 was his number in Chicago and was on Bobrovskij's jersey). The same rule was applied in Russian National team (number 27, 2+7=9), so I am 98% sure it will be 27 this time, if available.
sorry for my English.
btw I am sure you will love him :))))

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Holy hell what an expensive contract. Goodbye cap space. Seeing all these ridiculous contracts, it's only a question when there will be a new lockout, because the owners and GM's can't keep a budget.

Panarin is a good player, but he's nowhere close to $11.6m good. 7 years?! Classic Rangers. He earns more than Erik Karlsson. Lol.

LoL Erik "injured 60% of the season/playoffs" Karlsson.

Are you new at hockey? UFAs are always overpaid. Better to overpay for a star player than an average player like half the contracts handed out yesterday. Cap keep going up and the NHl and NHLPA are in the process of extending the agreement, so you're wrong there too.

Because they handcuff themselves with this almost decade long contracts that are very high. They basically paint themselves into a corner. And then if the economy takes a big hit (which it will, this is a ponzi scheme economy), well... but not that the part of the economy is at the fault of the owners and GMs.
oh god

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
Because they handcuff themselves with this almost decade long contracts that are very high.
I agree that these contracts could cause teams all kinds of problems, but since the revenue split is already set, these problems wont directly affect the owners all that much. And they're the ones who call the shots. The people affected will, again, be those players who are negotiating a new contract. Since the NHL doesn't really have a viable competitor, salary wise, in the worst case scenario players will either have to take less money or go play in europe. NHL might lose a few decent players but doubt it would be a full blown exodus. Plus LTIR and buyouts give teams some leeway, and I doubt NHLPA will be ready to lose a season over few extra "free" buyouts during the next CBA negotiations.

And then if the economy takes a big hit (which it will, this is a ponzi scheme economy), well... but not that the part of the economy is at the fault of the owners and GMs.
Economies go up and down, and just about everything is possible but we should not mistake opinions for facts.

Reactions: romba

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not agreeing with the way Valliquette said it (North Americans) however I believe his point stands. The team is a bit soft and undersized currently, especially if they trade Kreider.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm not agreeing with the way Valliquette said it (North Americans) however I believe his point stands. The team is a bit soft and undersized currently, especially if they trade Kreider.

Undersized? Panarin isn’t a big guy, but Zibanejad, Kakko, Kravtsov, Buchnevich, Chytil, and Howden all top 6’2”. Strome, Lemieux and Andersson are each 6’1”.

Yes, this isn’t a physical group in terms of tough play, but they’re not undersized at all.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Vally was rambling a bit there when pressed about his comment about the team being to Euro heavy. What raised my eyebrows was his very brutal assessment of Trouba only being a 3 or 4 defenseman. That greatly concerns me if that's the case. We potentially have another boat anchor in the making.
Troubas definitely not a 4...but he's also definitely not a 1. He's a strong 2 or an elite 3 IMHO.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Undersized? Panarin isn’t a big guy, but Zibanejad, Kakko, Kravtsov, Buchnevich, Chytil, and Howden all top 6’2”. Strome, Lemieux and Andersson are each 6’1”.

Yes, this isn’t a physical group in terms of tough play, but they’re not undersized at all.

You can be 6'0 and not a big guy. Howden, Kravtsov, Panarin and Buchnevich should never be confused with bigger guys.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Howden is gritty and plays a pretty big game.

He will eventually play that game but he is not what I would classify as a 'punishing' player.

Perhaps the word 'soft' was incorrect but this team is not one that will be difficult to play against in a playoff series should they get there.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He will eventually play that game but he is not what I would classify as a 'punishing' player.

Perhaps the word 'soft' was incorrect but this team is not one that will be difficult to play against in a playoff series should they get there.
I don't even know if punishing is a thing anymore...there's Wilson and maybe a few other guys who can punish and be productive players...the rest are just guys who can play and aren't afraid to get into the danger areas.

That's howden and most of our guys.

Chytil is the only guy I'd call soft .and he's got times where he does play a hard game like when he took those 2 pucks to the net especially against Boston.

Buch isn't soft at all he's actually really fiesty..and that's almost 100% thanks to Quinn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad