Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 11.15.19)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I was thinking today that either Georgiev or Shesterkin (probably the former) are going to be traded at some point before next season starts. And now if they want to get Wall into the organization, they’re probably going to have to do that so he and Huska can be the guys in Hartford. Any way they go about this, short of getting Wall under contract and somehow keeping Georgiev and Shesterkin as is for another year, is probably going to leave some people around here mad

timing would be better if this was the last year of hank's contract and you could keep those 4 kids around longer to see who is best...Wall could always start in the ECHL next year, but I feel that a decision on what to do between georgiev and shesterkin will force the issue and huska/wall will be impact by that fall out. I don't see a move of the 1st 2 to benefit the latter.

on the positive side though after, what feels like a lifetime, of goalie prospects fading away into the night cause they were trash, the idea of being worried that we might lose a good young goalie cause we have too many good young goalies is fantastic

cozandeffect

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
I didn't see it mentioned but Barron had another assist to finish with 2. I was unable to watch the game because of the BTN and I won't be able to watch tonight's game.

For the people interested in watching our new best prospect Simon Kjellberg he's on RPItv for free for home games and road league games are on ESPN+

EDIT: The captains thing while not unprecedented is not the norm. It's not an uncommon thing in college hockey however. Of the 3 Barron is definitely not the main guy (it's probably Malott).

Also I wish I'd watched but it's interesting to see Stienburg listed on Barron's line since he didn't play in the exhibitions but he's a former HS teammate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Anybody here have a chance to see Barron play a lot? How is he on draws? Skating? Shot? Physical play? Seems like he is rounding into a steal viewing production.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Anybody here have a chance to see Barron play a lot? How is he on draws? Skating? Shot? Physical play? Seems like he is rounding into a steal viewing production.
Good shot, good skater. He's rugged and uses his size to his advantage but isn't a bruiser. No longer plays center on a regular basis. Still, his 200-foot game is excellent.

@coz21

cozandeffect

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Good shot, good skater. He's rugged and uses his size to his advantage but isn't a bruiser. No longer plays center on a regular basis. Still, his 200-foot game is excellent.

@coz21
I see I have been summoned.

Barron's game is as a physical power forward. He reminds me stylistically of Rick Nash. He's a good shooter and a really good playmaker (imo one of his best attributes), good passer and pretty good hands. Another comp I've used that I like is Kevin Hayes. Barron is a much more willing shooter however and his hands are no where near as good as Hayes's. He's excellent in the corners on the forecheck and the cycle. Defensively he's excellent and can be trusted in all situations. His backchecking is actually not fair at the college level doing what he does to some of these kids. His skating still needs work and while he's not slow he's not a burner. He'd definitely get the good skater for his size note. He's fine on draws.

He's going to be a monster for Cornell this year. The team is deep so opposition won't be able to key on him and his TOI numbers will probably be pretty big again maybe more. He's also the ECAC's best bet as a Hobey Baker candidate other than one of his teammates. Highly suggest watching him this year if you can.

Ultimately I think his upside is as a Top-6 forward. I don't see enough skill or speed to see him on the top-line. Floor is tough because I think he's already close with Boo Nieves and he's a much smarter player than Boo showed at Michigan. I think at worst he's probably a really a good AHL player similar to Fogarty maybe with more offense.

Finally one more time for those who aren't here often, if you forgot, or if you ignored me before Barron is not a center. Last year Cornell dealt with an absolute shit-ton of injuries and had 2 freshmen centers in the top 6 for much of the year. Barron took draws, he centered on the PK occasionally, and yes was sometimes listed at center, but ultimately played very little of it 5v5. Maybe he plays center in the pros and Kevin Hayes has made the transition before, but as of now he's not one and he won't be playing center this year.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Barron's game is as a physical power forward. He reminds me stylistically of Rick Nash. He's a good shooter and a really good playmaker (imo one of his best attributes), good passer and pretty good hands. Another comp I've used that I like is Kevin Hayes. Barron is a much more willing shooter however and his hands are no where near as good as Hayes's. He's excellent in the corners on the forecheck and the cycle. Defensively he's excellent and can be trusted in all situations. His backchecking is actually not fair at the college level doing what he does to some of these kids. His skating still needs work and while he's not slow he's not a burner. He'd definitely get the good skater for his size note. He's fine on draws.

He's going to be a monster for Cornell this year. The team is deep so opposition won't be able to key on him and his TOI numbers will probably be pretty big again maybe more. He's also the ECAC's best bet as a Hobey Baker candidate other than one of his teammates. Highly suggest watching him this year if you can.

Ultimately I think his upside is as a Top-6 forward. I don't see enough skill or speed to see him on the top-line. Floor is tough because I think he's already close with Boo Nieves and he's a much smarter player than Boo showed at Michigan. I think at worst he's probably a really a good AHL player similar to Fogarty maybe with more offense.

Finally one more time for those who aren't here often, if you forgot, or if you ignored me before Barron is not a center. Last year Cornell dealt with an absolute ****-ton of injuries and had 2 freshmen centers in the top 6 for much of the year. Barron took draws, he centered on the PK occasionally, and yes was sometimes listed at center, but ultimately played very little of it 5v5. Maybe he plays center in the pros and Kevin Hayes has made the transition before, but as of now he's not one and he won't be playing center this year.

The one caveat I have with this excellent post is if we're comparing Barron to Nieves or Fogarty at the college level--Barron's been a much more creative and productive forward than either of Nieves or Fogarty--keeping in mind that Fogarty's Notre Dame team and coach were very defensive oriented. Still Nieves and Fogarty's production at the college level I always found somewhat underwhelming. Barron OTOH has exceeded my original expectations in both his freshman and sophomore years. Nieves can legit play a bottom 6 role--preferably 4th line at the NHL level. Fogarty not so much. Barron looks to me to have higher upside than either.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Finally one more time for those who aren't here often, if you forgot, or if you ignored me before Barron is not a center. Last year Cornell dealt with an absolute ****-ton of injuries and had 2 freshmen centers in the top 6 for much of the year. Barron took draws, he centered on the PK occasionally, and yes was sometimes listed at center, but ultimately played very little of it 5v5. Maybe he plays center in the pros and Kevin Hayes has made the transition before, but as of now he's not one and he won't be playing center this year.
You should just keep this in Notepad or something so when I tag you next month you don't have to write it over again.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I also do not see him as a center. Though I do see a potential nice middle six winger.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
everyone focuses on the need for centers but barron as a winger isn't a negative...sign me up for a big, skilled middle six winger that plays a 200ft game and can pk

cozandeffect

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
The one caveat I have with this excellent post is if we're comparing Barron to Nieves or Fogarty at the college level--Barron's been a much more creative and productive forward than either of Nieves or Fogarty--keeping in mind that Fogarty's Notre Dame team and coach were very defensive oriented. Still Nieves and Fogarty's production at the college level I always found somewhat underwhelming. Barron OTOH has exceeded my original expectations in both his freshman and sophomore years. Nieves can legit play a bottom 6 role--preferably 4th line at the NHL level. Fogarty not so much. Barron looks to me to have higher upside than either.

Obviously his upside is higher but that was exactly my problem with figuring out his floor. I kind of think he's already better than them right now but that means he's close to the NHL right now which I'm apprehensive of saying.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I think Keane's upside is a lot higher than some here have stated. He scored his 6th today on a team without much offensive talent. I have no idea why Wallin is starting over Lindbom. He stinks. That coach needs to get a clue. This farm system is an embarrassment of riches in goal. I simply don't understand why with so many teams out there with lousy goaltending, they haven't made a substantial deal with the Rangers. Carolina has real good team but both their goalies are garbage. I have little doubt that even a young Huska could walk in there tomorrow and wipe the floor with either one of the clowns they use in net. Same with the Oilers. Same with the Blackhawks as Crawford never plays. Same with Ottawa. Same with Detroit. You have figure at some point with Shesterkin, Georgiev, Huska, Lindbom and Wall that Gorton is going to pull of a big deal. That with all the defenseman in the system. The incompetence of GM's never ceases to amaze me. Especially in the NHL. Every year a ton of GM's think their goaltending and defenseman are good and by the end of the year they stink. They keep making the same mistake over and over.

We are only touching on the surface of the young defenseman in this organization and you can clearly see the superior talent level compared to other teams.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Keane's upside is a lot higher than some here have stated. He scored his 6th today on a team without much offensive talent. I have no idea why Wallin is starting over Lindbom. He stinks. That coach needs to get a clue. This far system is an embarrassment of riches in goal. I simply don't understand why with so many teams out there with lousy goaltending, they haven't made a substantial deal with the Rangers. Carolina has real good team but both their goalies are garbage. I have little doubt that even a young Huska could walk in there tomorrow and wipe the floor with either one of the clowns they use in net. Same with the Oilers. Same with the Blackhawks as Crawford never plays. Same with Ottawa. Same with Detroit. You have figure at some point with Shesterkin, Georgiev, Huska, Lindbom and Wall that Gorton is going to pull of a big deal. That with all the defenseman in the system. The incompetence of GM's never ceases to amaze me. Especially in the NHL. Every year a ton of GM's think their goaltending and defenseman are good and by the end of the year they stink. They keep making the same mistake over and over.

We are only touching on the surface of the young defenseman in this organization and you can clearly see the superior talent level compared to other teams.
Keane gets better each game but I still see #4 upside. At best. The goals are great but he's a defenseman shooting 30%.

Wallin is starting because Lindbom is injured, again.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Barron’s upside is definitely higher than Nieves and Fogarty.

What I think will help is that he’s not a player who is defined by offense. Barron has some versatility in the sense that when the puck isn’t going in, he can bring other things to the table or even slide over to center.

On a Rangers team that is leaning heavier towards finesse at the moment, his game is more North-South and could fit our need for depth on the flanks.

I wouldn’t expect huge offensive numbers from him, but I do think he’s capable of popping in some points.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think Keane's upside is a lot higher than some here have stated. He scored his 6th today on a team without much offensive talent. I have no idea why Wallin is starting over Lindbom. He stinks. That coach needs to get a clue. This far system is an embarrassment of riches in goal. I simply don't understand why with so many teams out there with lousy goaltending, they haven't made a substantial deal with the Rangers. Carolina has real good team but both their goalies are garbage. I have little doubt that even a young Huska could walk in there tomorrow and wipe the floor with either one of the clowns they use in net. Same with the Oilers. Same with the Blackhawks as Crawford never plays. Same with Ottawa. Same with Detroit. You have figure at some point with Shesterkin, Georgiev, Huska, Lindbom and Wall that Gorton is going to pull of a big deal. That with all the defenseman in the system. The incompetence of GM's never ceases to amaze me. Especially in the NHL. Every year a ton of GM's think their goaltending and defenseman are good and by the end of the year they stink. They keep making the same mistake over and over.

I'm sure Gorton has gotten plenty of calls on Georgiev, but it's too soon to trade him. Shesty was great in the KHL and has been very good so far in the AHL, but he needs to play a significant number of NHL games before we will really know if he can be a #1. We have a ton of goaltending depth, but that can disappear really quickly if we make the wrong move.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
We have too many D with upside.

Keane
Jones
Robertson
Miller
Lundkvist

Fox
Hajek
Lindgren
Trouba
Skjei
Deangelo

Are we going to start making trades soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad