Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 11.15.19)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozandeffect

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Barron with an assist through 1 against the USNTDP. US is getting absolutely bodied. There's probably some draft guys for those interested in watching that as well. Barron has looked good so far. Start the 2nd on the PP so get the stream on to watch him bomb shots and terrible ivy league commercials.

BTW I agree with @Irishguy42 's assessment of Ivy League. It's dumb, and not something that affects other athletic programs at high level academic institutions like Stanford or Duke. And let's not pretend these guys aren't basically coming here for free when most of these athletes qualify for the Ivy's free tuition policies. The fact that Harvard and Yale which are historical football programs can't win national titles is the dumbest thing ever.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

cozandeffect

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
2 periods through and Barron still has just the 1 assist though not for lack of trying. There hasn't been a lot of space but Cornell has been peppering the US goalie and he's done a pretty good job.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I tip my hat to you folks that care about our marginal prospects. I really couldn't give 2 ****s about guys like Kjellberg.
I live for fringe prospects. I watched 3 Dubuque games last year just to see Kjellberg who I openly mock. It's easy to watch or read about the big guys, but the fringe guys are tough. And sometimes the fringe guys make it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Tyler Wall has been outstanding for UMass-Lowell this year which is kind of an average team. Tyler has a 4-1-2 record with a 1.52 GAA and a .947 save %. I like Huska but personally I never put him ahead of Wall. Tyler did have a crappy sophomore season but his freshman and junior years were very very good and this year he's outstanding.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like Wall, he's very talented. My concerns with him have been centered on his consistency. He'll be playing lights out and then go through a stretch where he either loses focus or just loses his game. IIRC most of last year he had great numbers, but ended up with just "pretty good" numbers at the end because he had some rough patches. Lowell has generally been a well-structured, defensive team (not this year) which should help him. I just want to see him play a generally consistent season.

Reactions: egelband

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Amazing how people get fixated on lesser prospects here and throw Nico Gross in the trash. A kid that played well against all the top lines in international competition on terrible teams. 12 points already this season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Amazing how people get fixated on lesser prospects here and throw Nico Gross in the trash. A kid that played well against all the top lines in international competition on terrible teams. 12 points already this season.

I actually think Nico is a very good prospect. I'm just wondering how he's going to fit though and whether or not the Rangers are going to sign him. The Rangers have a lot of young left shot defensemen right now--K'Andre Miller, Ryan Lindgren, Yegor Rykov, Libor Hajek, Tarmo Reunanen, Zachary Jones, Matthew Robertson are all great prospects and then below them are Sean Day, Brandon Crawley, Jacob Ragnarsson and Calle Sjalin and that's the group that Nico is in. That second group are good players and it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of them become NHL players someday but the first group of seven--they could all easily be NHL players. We have a serious glut at that position. I don't think Nico is trash at all--I just don't see much of a pathway for him with the Rangers.

Reactions: lucky13

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

I actually think Nico is a very good prospect. I'm just wondering how he's going to fit though and whether or not the Rangers are going to sign him. The Rangers have a lot of young left shot defensemen right now--K'Andre Miller, Ryan Lindgren, Yegor Rykov, Libor Hajek, Tarmo Reunanen, Zachary Jones, Matthew Robertson are all great prospects and then below them are Sean Day, Brandon Crawley, Jacob Ragnarsson and Calle Sjalin and that's the group that Nico is in. That second group are good players and it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of them become NHL players someday but the first group of seven--they could all easily be NHL players. We have a serious glut at that position. I don't think Nico is trash at all--I just don't see much of a pathway for him with the Rangers.

the ##s sort themselves out over time, I hope they give Gross a shot, he hasn't overwhelmed but hasn't failed either
projecting even 2 years out is a really unprdictable exercise
Gross will turn pro next fall, while Miller, Roberston, Jones will likely not, Rags and Calle also probably don't come next fall
Tarmo will return, but Crawley may not be QO'd if he remains in Maine.
Ebert, LoVerde and Geertson are getting reps (yes i know Ebert, Loverde = RHD) w HWP but could be let to leave, Raddysh too, to make room for actual promising prospects (but who picks up the physical slack ...)

any way, my real points were my first:
the ##s sort themselves out over time, I hope they give Gross a shot,

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know who has thrown Gross in the trash, or whatever. I've probably been his most outspoken critic, given not many people really talk about him otherwise, and the furthest I've gone is to say I don't understand the hype or think he is particularly good at many things.

I still think, as I mentioned previously, that he's doing what he's doing because of the "Zborovskiy Effect", where a guy is playing on a fantastic team, is one of the most mature players (I think he's their oldest defender), is given a greatly-expanded role, and suddenly looks like a different player.

Of course, that may not be the case. Maybe he's taken a big step forward in his development. If he continues with this he certainly deserves a contract. Coming into the year I said he'd need a big season to win a contract, and at least so far, he's doing what he needs to (and then some).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
the ##s sort themselves out over time, I hope they give Gross a shot, he hasn't overwhelmed but hasn't failed either
projecting even 2 years out is a really unprdictable exercise
Gross will turn pro next fall, while Miller, Roberston, Jones will likely not, Rags and Calle also probably don't come next fall
Tarmo will return, but Crawley may not be QO'd if he remains in Maine.
Ebert, LoVerde and Geertson are getting reps (yes i know Ebert, Loverde = RHD) w HWP but could be let to leave, Raddysh too, to make room for actual promising prospects (but who picks up the physical slack ...)

any way, my real points were my first:
the ##s sort themselves out over time, I hope they give Gross a shot,

I'm not against the Rangers signing Gross. I could also see the Rangers not resigning Crawley and maybe not even Day when his ELC is over. My guess is Miller comes out of college at the end of the year. I think the likelihood is greater that he signs an ELC than he plays another year at Wisconsin. Rykov will be here and Reunanen will be back. Lindgren and Hajek will be here too. Robertson probably a year out and maybe Jones too. These guys are all coming and that leaves a window for Gross but it's not a big one. The Rangers will want a couple vet D's in Hartford....so if not LoVerde and Geertsen--it will be a couple other vets. And if we're talking right side I think there's a pretty decent chance that Lundkvist signs over the summer.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Obviously not the same skill level as Reunanen, but Pajuniemi is another guy that slipped a little off the radar thanks to injuries and being subsequently left off the WJC team last year.

Before the concussion(?) in LIIGA, at the WJSS he played in a single game, looked to be way above the competition, scored a hat trick, and appeared to be a lock for the WJCs.

Hopefully he finds a way to keep putting the puck in the net, and gets back onto our radar.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't know who has thrown Gross in the trash, or whatever. I've probably been his most outspoken critic, given not many people really talk about him otherwise, and the furthest I've gone is to say I don't understand the hype or think he is particularly good at many things.

I still think, as I mentioned previously, that he's doing what he's doing because of the "Zborovskiy Effect", where a guy is playing on a fantastic team, is one of the most mature players (I think he's their oldest defender), is given a greatly-expanded role, and suddenly looks like a different player.

Of course, that may not be the case. Maybe he's taken a big step forward in his development. If he continues with this he certainly deserves a contract. Coming into the year I said he'd need a big season to win a contract, and at least so far, he's doing what he needs to (and then some).

Part of the challenge with Gross is figuring out who he is as a prospect.

There was a time he was considered an upper tier prospect leading up to his draft year. Then he fell off the map and hit a plateau for a while. Then he started to climb again.

But there are some legit questions as to what he can do on his own, compared to what he can do when many elements are aligned for him to succeed.

Reactions: nyr2k2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad