Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 11.15.19)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I love this Henriksson kid. Tremendous draft pick. Looked great in traverse and ever since he’s been lights out.

I wouldn't really use his performance in SuperElit to label him a tremendous pick just yet. He's clearly too good for that level, and I can't wait to see him play pro hockey this season. That would be a much better indicator of how good he really is

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I wouldn't really use his performance in SuperElit to label him a tremendous pick just yet. He's clearly too good for that level, and I can't wait to see him play pro hockey this season. That would be a much better indicator of how good he really is

hes doing what he should be doing that’s all you can ask for. If he’s too good for that level than he should be dominating it and he is.

but I’m more impressed at what he did at traverse at his age. He looked poised and professional. Really great complimentary center. The two stud 2020 draft eligibles love playing with him too. It’s clear why.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The CHL, taken on the whole, is far and away the best junior league in the world. Keep in mind that the J20, it's almost exclusively Swedish kids. Same for the respective leagues in Finland and Russia. The CHL has top talent from all over the world and the majority of the top talent from the two countries that produce overwhelmingly the most NHL players.

There's also the fact that the teams in the other leagues' junior divisions are associated with parent professional clubs, so if you have a dominant under-20 player they'll often be playing not in juniors but with the parent club (or moving back and forth). That's much more rare with CHL guys since they have to be able to either jump straight into the best league in the world, the NHL, or finish out their CHL careers (obviously there are exceptions based on where a guy was drafted from, but speaking generally).

The J20 is a very good league. Good instruction, high level of play. But it's not close to the CHL, IMO. Five years ago I'd say it was better than the USHL, but the USHL has been making major progress with more and more players from NA and all over the world choosing to go the NCAA route.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
hes doing what he should be doing that’s all you can ask for. If he’s too good for that level than he should be dominating it and he is.

but I’m more impressed at what he did at traverse at his age. He looked poised and professional. Really great complimentary center. The two stud 2020 draft eligibles love playing with him too. It’s clear why.

Would be awesome if we got Raymond.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

it seems that he is too good for the J20 and barely being challenged...can Frolunda loan him to another team until they need him?

In Henriksson situation given his size, I’m not too upset about him not playing yet against the men in pro league. It’s pretty much the same as when NA juniors are sent back to CHL by the teams that drafted them to play against other juniors while their bodies develop to get ready to the physicality of the NHL. Henriksson is performing and putting up stats “as expected” so there’s no urgency to change things up.

I watched him in Traverse tournament and preseason so I can see a player. Hopefully size and speed will catchup to his obviously still developing IQ and hockey skills.

cozandeffect

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Barron with a PPG through 2 in their first exhibition of the year. He's looked really good on the PP. The game overall has been sloppy and there have been a ton of penalties. Barron hasn't shined at 5-5 but he's also barely been on it since he probably has 6-8 minutes of PP time already.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
In Henriksson situation given his size, I’m not too upset about him not playing yet against the men in pro league. It’s pretty much the same as when NA juniors are sent back to CHL by the teams that drafted them to play against other juniors while their bodies develop to get ready to the physicality of the NHL. Henriksson is performing and putting up stats “as expected” so there’s no urgency to change things up.

I watched him in Traverse tournament and preseason so I can see a player. Hopefully size and speed will catchup to his obviously still developing IQ and hockey skills.

When I think of an ideal situation for Henriksson, it’s him finding that narrow pathway that guys like Weight and Savard were able to traverse - where they’re smarts and hockey sense enable them to overcome a combination of below a stage size, and only average to slightly above average skating.

It’s not an easy combination to find, but when it works, it’s usually because you have a hell of a smart player on your hands.

Reactions: Cag29

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
Listing one player means nothing. Like I said, there are always a few exceptions. Last time I looked, the Bruins won nothing last year. Krug was also the only Bruins starters last year in the regular season who was a minus. He was a +4 in the post season but old fart Chara who is huge was a +11 and 6'5 Carlo was a plus 10.
There’s more... but you do you

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
However, you aren't moving the 6'2+ powerfowards with talent in front of your net with smaller defenseman. You're delusional to think that will ever happen.
I guess that's true but there really aren't many of these smooth giants around the league.

Reactions: bl02

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I guess that's true but there really aren't many of these smooth giants around the league.

That's why you draft players like Miller and Robertson. Big defenseman with a mean streak that can skate and move the puck. The Jones of the world are nice but you can't have many on your team. You simply won't win in the playoffs with them.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's why you draft players like Miller and Robertson. Big defenseman with a mean streak that can skate and move the puck. The Jones of the world are nice but you can't have many on your team. You simply won't win in the playoffs with them.
Miller may have somewhat of an edge, but he's not mean. And that's not Robertson, like, at all.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
If you actually listened to JD you would have heard him flat out say the team needs to get tougher. You don't do that drafting euro's with your first round picks and small, offensive defenseman. Yes, you need skill. Yes, you need a mix. However, Gorton as much as I love him as our GM, has drafted way too soft with his prospects. Miller was a great pick by Gorton. Yes, Lundkvist looks like a nice talent that can help our defense. However, you aren't moving the 6'2+ powerfowards with talent in front of your net with smaller defenseman. You're delusional to think that will ever happen. There hasn't been nearly enough picks in Gorton's drafts where he took hard nosed, players with offensive upside. Who has been the best defenseman by far on our defense. Trouba. Size with skill. While I think Fox will be a good defenseman. He's not shutting down big, elite talent forwards. He needs a partner to do that.

At the deadline I feel strongly DeAngelo, another small defenseman will be dealt. I wouldn't rule out JD moving Kravtsov either and overruling Gorton on that one if the return is favorable.

Newbie, chill....

They’re plenty of guys on this team who are 6’0”+ that are physical and aren’t getting it together. Besides, players that play physical can be picked up anywhere at any time. Not just the draft.

Skill & grind balance is key. But a team that consists of 7 players that are 23 and younger playing their first or second full year in the NHL will have their ups and downs. Let them get acclimated.

NYR IS CERTAINLY NOT TRADING KRAVTSOV, THE f***??

Reactions: dapowl and jas

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The CHL, taken on the whole, is far and away the best junior league in the world. Keep in mind that the J20, it's almost exclusively Swedish kids. Same for the respective leagues in Finland and Russia. The CHL has top talent from all over the world and the majority of the top talent from the two countries that produce overwhelmingly the most NHL players.

There's also the fact that the teams in the other leagues' junior divisions are associated with parent professional clubs, so if you have a dominant under-20 player they'll often be playing not in juniors but with the parent club (or moving back and forth). That's much more rare with CHL guys since they have to be able to either jump straight into the best league in the world, the NHL, or finish out their CHL careers (obviously there are exceptions based on where a guy was drafted from, but speaking generally).

The J20 is a very good league. Good instruction, high level of play. But it's not close to the CHL, IMO. Five years ago I'd say it was better than the USHL, but the USHL has been making major progress with more and more players from NA and all over the world choosing to go the NCAA route.

Just to piggy back off of this....

The CHL is the best junior level league out there & then the USHL, but the draft, as a whole, is an entire crap shoot. Selecting prospects from juniors will always be difficult to gauge no matter the league. The development and production both on and off the ice is crucial post draft. In essence, some players from European junior leagues out play some guys in NA junior leagues in the pro ranks.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How comparable is the J20 to other junior leagues like the CHL and the USHL?

I am sure the top teams could match up against CHL teams. But the worst teams are a good notch below that level.

It’s also a qualification league. Ie you get promoted/demoted based on previous years play. But with juniors the dilemma is that one team without a good youth organization can be promoted because they have one really good generation, that also is on the old side, and then the next year when they play in SuperElite everyone have graduated and the kids left there to play are both young and not good. It’s attractive for junior players to play in SuperElite, so in that case the promoted teams can of course recruit a few good players from other organizations. But it can still be ugly. I would say that those teams would below average against teams made up of players NOT making the CHL teams.

But it’s still a good league. The hockey played is good, not many bad habits and so forth.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Lundkvist and Lindbom...no henriksson

f***ing Monthen. He is all giddy about having 4 centers with size that are good 2-way and play in the SHL. At the same time you can question if Henriksson as a hockey player clearly isn’t the best of the bunch.

Holtz and Raymond play their by far best hockey when centered by KH.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad