TSN: Rangers looking for a 2nd line/3rd line Forward

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
it's very simple, pay attention:
this yr is not a prob
we have no cap going forward b'c Fox 9.5 ext kicks in next yr
Strome + Geo are gone, other moves cover dif
we barely squeeze by other needs
this remains the case until Trouba's 8m per is moved, replaced by Schneider

NOW, given that REALITY
we do not want to pay EITHER
for asset under contract next yr
OR
for expiring asset costing signif compensation this yr who, needing to signed,
means you waste the assets spent on a stop gap.

The smart play here is call up Barron + solve internally
also
sell Strome now while longer term on current deal ups his value

sell excess vets
get down to young core
give that core max mins to develop w/min or line shuffling

I totally get that

But that is not what the poster asked for........

I am not saying that you should take Miller

But he is the best player, who meets the criteria

I do however understand your point

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
greenway and fiala are available

Fiala is definitely interesting since he is a RW. Can Greenway play on the right side? That is where their biggest need is. As of now, this player would be slotting onto a line with Zibanejad and Kreider and would be on the 2nd powerplay.

If Greenway can do that, he's probably more likely the player they would be interested in. Fiala will cost too much for them, it'd be a similar situation to Buchnevich's deal. Greenway probably comes in close to what he is making now.

Is there a need for the Wild that the Rangers could fill? Unfortunately we aren't flush with center prospects. LHD and wingers are their strongest prospect areas. I wouldn't guess a RHD is not high on the list of players to go and get since your top 4 is set and Addison is up and coming.

What about Matthew Robertson and a pick? Maybe a 2nd, the lesser of the picks between the Blues and the Rangers? Robertson is more of a defense first LHD, but can move the puck well. Brodin is the only LHD on the roster I see there long term, and there is a gap between their top picks recently and being ready. Robertson turns 21 in March and is in the AHL currently, former 2nd rounder.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Unless St.Louis retain at least $2-3M or the Rangers can't send someone with term that makes a lot of $ back, that trade ain't happening.

They can't afford Tarasenko at his caphit for 2 seasons.

Maybe a 3rd party can retain half of Tarasenko's caphit for some picks.

Is Blais' injury for sure going to be season-ending ?

WRT Tarasenko, not sure what we can do to make that work. We would mostly be looking for prospects back. But if you have some cap dumps you need to send along, we can probably handle that, depending on the specific instance.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Is Blais' injury for sure going to be season-ending ?

WRT Tarasenko, not sure what we can do to make that work. We would mostly be looking for prospects back. But if you have some cap dumps you need to send along, we can probably handle that, depending on the specific instance.
The Rangers announced that he was out for the season and was facing a 6-8 month recovery window. He was still waiting to get surgery because they wanted the swelling to go down around his knee, and I don’t think it’s been reported that he’s had his surgery performed yet.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Fiala is definitely interesting since he is a RW. Can Greenway play on the right side? That is where their biggest need is. As of now, this player would be slotting onto a line with Zibanejad and Kreider and would be on the 2nd powerplay.

If Greenway can do that, he's probably more likely the player they would be interested in. Fiala will cost too much for them, it'd be a similar situation to Buchnevich's deal. Greenway probably comes in close to what he is making now.

Is there a need for the Wild that the Rangers could fill? Unfortunately we aren't flush with center prospects. LHD and wingers are their strongest prospect areas. I wouldn't guess a RHD is not high on the list of players to go and get since your top 4 is set and Addison is up and coming.

What about Matthew Robertson and a pick? Maybe a 2nd, the lesser of the picks between the Blues and the Rangers? Robertson is more of a defense first LHD, but can move the puck well. Brodin is the only LHD on the roster I see there long term, and there is a gap between their top picks recently and being ready. Robertson turns 21 in March and is in the AHL currently, former 2nd rounder.

rob not available
replaces Nemeth

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Fiala is not a right wing and the Rangers can’t afford his next deal. Greenway is also not what the Rangers should be looking for

Reactions: bernmeister

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I might do the Robertson + 2nd, partly because i like Robertson, and partly because Greenway(who i've been a fan of)'s play has been depressing me. I would rather wait a bit....apparently he is playing through a high ankle sprain, and I would like to see if he gets back to his normal self rather than sell low.

MN can get by for a year or so at LHD (word is Goligoski will come back at a reduced rate next year, and hopefully re-sign Kulikov) till Ryan O'Reilly/ Daemon Hunt/Lambos/ are ready. All are doing very well down in junior, and both Hunt and ROR played in the AHL last year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I might do the Robertson + 2nd, partly because i like Robertson, and partly because Greenway(who i've been a fan of)'s play has been depressing me. I would rather wait a bit....apparently he is playing through a high ankle sprain, and I would like to see if he gets back to his normal self rather than sell low.

MN can get by for a year or so at LHD (word is Goligoski will come back at a reduced rate next year, and hopefully re-sign Kulikov) till Ryan O'Reilly/ Daemon Hunt/Lambos/ are ready. All are doing very well down in junior, and both Hunt and ROR played in the AHL last year.

Robertson not available, he is elc cheap heir replacement to Nemeth. I think there are growing pains this yr but 2022 later this season or next, Nils L is fully adjusted. If I remember Nem has another 2 yrs under contract. Happy to keep or move. We will remain in crunch beginning next season for ever cheaper youth until w'in max 2 seasons hence we can unload/repurpose Trouba's 8m per.

ps
-- as guitar enthusiast and former collector, always dug yr cool avatar. When I am not too crazy biz we must pm/convo about axes.

-- happy Thanksgiving to all

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW the Rangers liked Buchnevich a lot. He was moved because of future cap considerations which played out with the deal for Sheshterkin and the new deals for Zibanejad and Fox and future projected deals for Kakko and Lafreniere. Blais was much cheaper and offered a much more physical component,(a direction the team wanted to go), there was thought as well there was more offensive upside for him to reach and also a 2022 2nd rounder that came in the deal. What wasn’t considered was that P.K. Subban would kick his skates out and wreck his season with a torn ACL.

All that said why would the Rangers take on a $5 mil per or + that player when that was the main reason for them to trade Buchnevich? They would have kept Buch if they thought they could. If they really are looking for a 2nd/3rd line option forward I would think he’s more in the range of making $1.5 to $2 mil per so he’d probably be on the younger side of things and maybe not altogether fully developed. Either a ELC or second contract player.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Assuming wingers are an option, Armia would be a great pickup. Big , strong as hell along the boards, put in top six could put up 20 goals and is a solid PKer.
Add to fact he’s still young and is on a good contract for the next few years.
What would the Rangers want?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Kostin is an unproven prospect. Maybe a middle six guy, but also maybe not. Lindgren is a 3D. Kostin’s ceiling is about what Lindgren is right now, and Lindgren is one year older.
Kostin is getting in the lineup this year and learning the small rink game. hes prolly a middle 6 winger but lots of potential. Blues don't need a 2nd pairing dman. that's their problem.. they have too many of those already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad