Series Talk: Rangers @ Hurricanes - Metropolitan Division Final

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

b56O4Rb.jpg

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
respectfully, did you watch Schneider this series?

dude got torched by Teddy Bleuger for god's sake.
I did watch Schneider and while I absolutely agree he was not his best in the series, especially in the first half of it, I thought his game slowly started to improve and come back. And not coincidentally Nemeth coming out was part of the equation.

But even so all things considered, Jones should not be coming in for Schneider or Braun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unpredictable1

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Guys I haven't been able to drink coffee or have any caffeine since that Breadman OT winner, my body is so full of excitement if I have any nicotine or caffeine I will have a panic attack, I am so pumped up. And so happy, my step dad just passed away on April 22nd (The night after we beat the Isles which he saw, was the last game he ever saw and maybe last thing he saw before falling asleep for the last time) he was a season ticket holder, etc, I posted about him in the FB groups. I am just so happy after this whole month has been so brutal, my step dad on his FB page had the Rangers logo as his background image, most people have pitcures of their families, he had the Rangers logo hahahaha. We bonded so much over the Rangers my entire life, he took me to my first game in 93 at MSG, I remember him pointing out Adam Graves #9 and the CAPTAIN Mark Messier #11 and Richter. Oh man what an emotional thing that series and OT winner was, the Breadman was also our fav player, I LOVE YOU ALL!!! Rip Dad!!!

This really tugged at the heart strings. Glad you have great memories with him.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
It really comes down to supporting the puck on the breakout.

The breakout needs to start down low and the wings need to be coming down along the boards to the faceoff circle hashmarks. Breaking out like that makes it easier to get out of the zone with multiple potential outlet passes and easier to gain the red line to dump the puck in deep.
You nailed it on the head. Against a hard forechecking team, they need to support one another as a five man unit. And as you said, it starts below the hash marks.

We won't be able to skate it through the neutral zone. A lot of It will be chipping the puck out, and getting after them.

We need to make sure when we cross that red line, that we get the puck deep.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I was at the most recent Rangers @ Hurricanes game in Carolina.

I said this then too, but what the Rangers did that game was very interested. They countered Carolina’s speed and press by make the ice huge. What I mean by this is that they really forced the Hurricanes wide a lot of the time. They had a ton of shots on Georgiev that game but very few, especially until the 3rd period were quality.

Will be interesting if they try to do similar this time around. Rangers let the Hurricanes play their way but on the Rangers terms and it kind of worked. It’s not going to be pretty but if the Rangers can keep the Hurricanes out of the areas of the ice that they want to be in, and Igor is sharp they have a punchers chance.

More notes on the Canes - they are not great in one goal games, but if they can impose their will, they won’t lose. Slavin is a human eraser and can stop teams offensively by himself. Peace carries Skjei and while it’s a decent pair, you can still force Skjei into punishable mistakes. Finally, similar to the Rangers they are having a lot of problems with their third pairing. They have been running Brendan Smith and Ian Cole, and it has not been a good postseason for that pair. If the Rangers can make the Hurricanes pay with that pairing on the ice it will go a long way.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I was at the most recent Rangers @ Hurricanes game in Carolina.

I said this then too, but what the Rangers did that game was very interested. They countered Carolina’s speed and press by make the ice huge. What I mean by this is that they really forced the Hurricanes wide a lot of the time. They had a ton of shots on Georgiev that game but very few, especially until the 3rd period were quality.

Will be interesting if they try to do similar this time around. Rangers let the Hurricanes play their way but on the Rangers terms and it kind of worked. It’s not going to be pretty but if the Rangers can keep the Hurricanes out of the areas of the ice that they want to be in, and Igor is sharp they have a punchers chance.

More notes on the Canes - they are not great in one goal games, but if they can impose their will, they won’t lose. Slavin is a human eraser and can stop teams offensively by himself. Peace carries Skjei and while it’s a decent pair, you can still force Skjei into punishable mistakes. Finally, similar to the Rangers they are having a lot of problems with their third pairing. They have been running Brendan Smith and Ian Cole, and it has not been a good postseason for that pair. If the Rangers can make the Hurricanes pay with that pairing on the ice it will go a long way.
The Kid line has to produce.

Reactions: leetch99

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I want more of this.....

Unfortunately, this has happened only twice in NYR history. Matteau with a game 7 OT winner and now Panarin.

Reactions: bl02 and Raspewtin

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You nailed it on the head. Against a hard forechecking team, they need to support one another as a five man unit. And as you said, it starts below the hash marks.

We won't be able to skate it through the neutral zone. A lot of It will be chipping the puck out, and getting after them.

We need to make sure when we cross that red line, that we get the puck deep.

Yeah I'm unfortunately not optimistic that the Rangers will break the puck out well, they have a tendency to just try to "chip it out of danger" when under pressure in the defensive zone. I know it's tough to do but really seems like most of the time if they can't break it out quickly before the other team sets up then they're in trouble with breaking it out cleanly so mostly they chip it out, reset, and try to get a cleaner breakout on the next dump in or carry in

I'm dumb about hockey systems but to me it also seems like Carolina's system is designed to generate a ton of shots that aren't totally dangerous by themselves but their players are very quick to attack and retrieve the rebounds, blocked shots, missed shots, etc. It's volume shooting with a focus on immediate puck retreival so they can do it again and kinda tough to short circuit

I think the Rangers best chance will always be in playing as fast and aggressively as possible to keep Carolina off the puck as much as they can. Can't sit back against them, it needs to be attacking all game long. How they played against Pittsburgh doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they'll do this against Carolina, but I think Pittsburgh was a little differently setup to try to take advantage of being overly aggressive...they loved to sneak a guy behind the D up the ice and sucker the forwards in deep and hit that guy up the ice with a long pass for odd man breaks, not sure Carolina does the same as much

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Kinda playing with house money in this series.

Going into the year I think we would all be thrilled knowing they made it to the playoffs let alone the second round. Yes, they made it by the skin of their teeth and had to comeback down 3-1 and down in each of the elimination games but damn… they actually came back in all of those games and got the job done.

If I was betting this series I’d bet Carolina in six. However this Rangers team is not a conventional team. It has an extremely dangerous PP and an all-world goaltender. Anything is possible.

Anyway you cut it, this is great for such a young team. It gives the kids another full round of experience and they’ll have a minimum of about a dozen games playoff experience after this, win or lose. That’s important.

Speaking of the kids… the kid line showed they can hang. At times they were the best line although they weren’t completely trusted with a regular shift. As good as they were as a unit, would it make more sense to split them up and deepen the lines for this round?

Moving Kakko up at the very least would put Vatrano or Copp on the third line with Chytil and Laf. I feel like Kakko did a lot of great things you need to have in a series like this. He was one of the only Rangers forwards with ability to keep zone time alive down deep. There was too much dump and lose it against the Pens. They will need to retain possession if they have a shot to be the Canes.

Spreading it out will allow you to trust that third line a little more and roll the lines with a little more confidence. Either way I’d like the think that the kids instilled enough confidence in the coaching staff in the first round to be trusted a little more regularly. Especially if there are no expectations to win this series. It will benefit them in the long run

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan
In the immortal words of PaRappa the Rappa, "I gotta believe!"

So, posting purely from my heart.

- Igor steals game 1 and gets in the Canes' heads.
- Canes are under huge pressure, grip sticks too tight, and take frustration penalties in bad spots.
- Panarin finds his mojo thanks to rest and that OT winner.
- Laf-Chytl-Kakko step up and suddenly we have 3 scoring lines.
- Kreider deflects pucks again and again, and the bounces go our way.
- Refs rule in our favor on a 50-50 goal review and the world cries foul.:cool:

Rangers in 6

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
That's very kind of you to say. But if you read the posts I delete instead of post you likely wouldn't have that opinion. :)

I think a lot of people on here could take some serious learnings out of this mindset - sometimes it's better to give yourself a few mins before blasting some hot take.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RickChartraw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad