Series Talk: Rangers @ Hurricanes - Metropolitan Division Final

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I feel like our second line is going to get exposed this series. None of them are great skaters and two of them don't care to play defense and two of them are noticeably injured. Having a legitimate two way center on that second line would be so great right now. They really hung on to Strome for a year too long. If Copp was 100% I would play him at center and maybe move Chytil into that right wing. Give the line some speed and a board player down low.

If Panarin was 100% I would give this team good odds to get passed Carolina. Their depth is a bit too much for us with how injured our 2nd line is currently. The kid line will have to take another step forward this series for us to get through but anything is possible in the playoffs. I believe.

Reactions: BreadKick

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
They aren't Pittsburgh and DeAngelo is going to get no love from the refs.

Yeah if anything I think the league would prefer the Rangers to advance, so I would not be totally surprised to see us have a PP advantage over the course of the series

Reactions: CLW

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah if anything I think the league would prefer the Rangers to advance, so I would not be totally surprised to see us have a PP advantage over the course of the series

NHL refs still f*** up all the time but there will be no lifelines tossed out to Carolina by the Zebras ala Pittsburgh.

If we go down 5 v 3 against them at any point in this series, I'm confident it will be because we actually deserved to go down 5 v 3.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
NHL refs still f*** up all the time but there will be no lifelines tossed out to Carolina by the Zebras ala Pittsburgh.

If we go down 5 v 3 against them at any point in this series, I'm confident it will be because we actually deserved to go down 5 v 3.

I'm usually not a blame the refs guy because they are terrible no matter what team you root for, but PIT was getting away with so many obstruction calls, especially in G7, it was hard not to think some game management was going on.

Not to mention the disallowed goal in G1 that, with the benefit of context and hindsight, remains one of the worst on-ice reversals I've seen in my entire hockey watching life. The fact that it was called a goal on the ice and was overturned at that moment in the game almost cost us the series.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I feel like our second line is going to get exposed this series. None of them are great skaters and two of them don't care to play defense and two of them are noticeably injured. Having a legitimate two way center on that second line would be so great right now. They really hung on to Strome for a year too long. If Copp was 100% I would play him at center and maybe move Chytil into that right wing. Give the line some speed and a board player down low.

If Panarin was 100% I would give this team good odds to get passed Carolina. Their depth is a bit too much for us with how injured our 2nd line is currently. The kid line will have to take another step forward this series for us to get through but anything is possible in the playoffs. I believe.
No doubt, that second line is the most concerning. But I think it would be worse to have Strome play with the kid line. That line is too good to break up right now and Strome doesn't add anything there.

And there's a chance that the 2nd line gels a bit more with a few days of rest. I say, try it as things are for one more game to see where the team is before making adjustments.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You didn’t notice him because he barely played. Only got 6 minutes. Braun got less than 10. They basically went 4 D.

It’s the playoffs that’s what they should be doing. The top pairs should be eating 25 plus a night right now

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Schneider or Braun. Let’s not pretend the entire 3rd pair didn’t get caved every game of that series. The difference is with Jones/Schneider as a pair, GG might actually staple them to the bench unlike Nemeth/Braun.
The problem wasn't the 3rd pair getting caved, the 3rd pair's minutes can be limited/managed quite easily. The problem in the first round was Trouba and Miller got caved way too f***ing much. Miller made some top notch plays and is constantly improving but still facts are facts.

If anyone thinks Fox isn't by far the best defenseman on the Rangers, they're watching a different sport than I am.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
The problem wasn't the 3rd pair getting caved, the 3rd pair's minutes can be limited/managed quite easily. The problem in the first round was Trouba and Miller got caved way too f***ing much. Miller made some top notch plays and is constantly improving but still facts are facts.

If anyone thinks Fox isn't by far the best defenseman on the Rangers, they're watching a different sport than I am.

I hear you, but Fox had his share of issues prior to Games 5, 6, and 7, during those times without Lindgren.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
FS9_ur5WYAIk74S

Panarin's skates have Panarin written in the Panera bread font and a loaf of bread on them lol, also a loaf of bread engraved into the blade

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The TOI numbers are a little skewed because of the 3OT game, but it certainly seems as though Carolina rolls a full lineup a little more than we have, especially in our elimination games.

Smith plays neither PP nor PK so he gets somewhat low time on ice, but he's the only defenseman they have with neither responsibility.

Facing the best PK team in the league is going to be a tough ask for our guys who rode that 1-in-4 PP to success.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I hear you, but Fox had his share of issues prior to Games 5, 6, and 7, during those times without Lindgren.
Games 3 and 4, no one played well. That said, he's the only one that can reverse the cave in process with just a sublime move or pass. It's very subtle what he does.

Look, I know what I am saying isn't anything you don't know.

Since I started playing myself (call it a really long time ago), I always felt that first pass is the most important, it's why I loved Zubov so much. Fox was the only one not arbitrarily throwing it away until Lindgren came back. I had to double-check to see if AV hadn't conned his way back to the bench.

Reactions: will1066

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I expect alot from Motte as he warms up from his inury. Both 5 on 5 and on the PK. I'd LOVE to see Motte Goodrow Hunt as a 4th line. Nice bangers, speed, heavy on the forecheck and should be good defensively too.

Blais doesn't sound like he's coming back, and honestly he was a liability defensively during his short stint (but did take the puck to the net with great hands and heavy on the forecheck).

Reactions: bl02 and will1066

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
You sure it wasn’t Schneider being dragged through the mud by Nemeth? Because once Nemeth became the 7th D who pretty much didnt play that game and then sat the next one, Schneider looked a lot better.

I like Jones. I think he has a future in the NHL. But he needs work in his own end and this is not the time to throw him out there. Not against Carolina and their forecheck, no matter how good Jones first pass ability is. Schneider has played a majority of the year against NHL bodies. Jones has not. Schneider now has a playoff series under his belt. He is bigger and stronger. They will need that more against the guys the Canes have.
respectfully, did you watch Schneider this series?

dude got torched by Teddy Bleuger for god's sake.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
FS9_ur5WYAIk74S

Panarin's skates have Panarin written in the Panera bread font and a loaf of bread on them lol, also a loaf of bread engraved into the blade

I've been thinking about Panera for lunch, so that's interesting.

Panera's slogan was Eat Clean. Panarin's is Play Clean? Too early?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I'm usually not a blame the refs guy because they are terrible no matter what team you root for, but PIT was getting away with so many obstruction calls, especially in G7, it was hard not to think some game management was going on.

Not to mention the disallowed goal in G1 that, with the benefit of context and hindsight, remains one of the worst on-ice reversals I've seen in my entire hockey watching life. The fact that it was called a goal on the ice and was overturned at that moment in the game almost cost us the series.
The Pens were interfering on every single dump in. Like, leaving their lanes completely in order to interfere with the forward trying to get in on the forecheck. That is supposed to be an automatic call. That alone had a huge impact on our ability to actually establish a forecheck.

They also set a ton of moving picks. Many of them were executed perfectly and couldn't really warrant a call, but there were a few every game that were pretty clear interference.

Their ability to get away with interference on both ends had a pretty significant effect in slanting the ice at ES. If that's the way the games are going to be called, we need to adjust to it.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
the calls definitely favored Pittsburgh but one key non call was Lindgren's crosscheck on Rodrigues in G6 that caused him to retaliate and take a penalty that led to our comeback. that made up for a lot of the BS earlier in the series IMO.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The most optimal lineup for Carolina

Kreider Zibs Kakko
Panarin Chytil Copp
Lafreniere Strome Vatrano
Motte Rooney Brodz

KAM Trouba
Lindgren Fox
Jones Braun/Schneids

Need to roll all lines and pairs. I get shortening the bench in crunch time.

edit- see the lines haven't changed. I don't expect our gameplay to change much either

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaels Arms

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
I don't think he's really making the most out of his minutes. If he were he would have gotten more than 6 in a winner take all game.

He DID how ever make a great play to spring Mika and Kreider on that 2 v 1 in g7 that has generally gone unmentioned.
So he made the play to spring Mika in game 7 and had a shift where he legit saved a goal. IN SIX MINUTES ON ICE. Uhhhh, that's making the most of his time,

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The TOI numbers are a little skewed because of the 3OT game, but it certainly seems as though Carolina rolls a full lineup a little more than we have, especially in our elimination games.

Smith plays neither PP nor PK so he gets somewhat low time on ice, but he's the only defenseman they have with neither responsibility.

Facing the best PK team in the league is going to be a tough ask for our guys who rode that 1-in-4 PP to success.

Pittsburgh was 3rd, our PP just roasted them.

These things don't always carry over. Boston had decent success against them considering who they were in the regular season. IIRC we had the top PK in the league (or close to it) in 2014, and the PP was the only thing that held Philly in the series against us that playoff year.

Im mortified about what we do against them 5v5. If we can some how stalemate them there, we have a shot but thats not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad