Series Talk: Rangers @ Hurricanes - Metropolitan Division Final

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
It really comes down to supporting the puck on the breakout. All series the Rangers break out was expecting the D to make a move to beat a Pittsburgh player to be able to make a stretch pass to a winger that was on the Pens side of rhe neutral zone. That's not sustainable.

The break out needs to start down low and the wings need to be coming down along the boards to the faceoff circle hashmarks.

Breaking out like that makes it easier to get out of the zone with multiple potential outlet passes and easier to gain the red line to dump the puck in deep.

Don't need to get fancy especially when you are facing a team that can forecheck like the Canes.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Schneider and Braun are just getting their playoff sea legs, whereas Jones hasn't played an NHL game in how long? One game since February. Highly doubt Gallant is even considering putting Jones in unless injury forces him into the lineup. Not saying I love Schneider or Braun's game right now--just prefer to keep the discussion realistic.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
It really comes down to supporting the puck on the breakout. All series the Rangers break out was expecting the D to make a move to beat a Pittsburgh player to be able to make a stretch pass to a winger that was on the Pens side of rhe neutral zone. That's not sustainable.

The break out needs to start down low and the wings need to be coming down along the boards to the faceoff circle hashmarks.

Breaking out like that makes it easier to get out of the zone with multiple potential outlet passes and easier to gain the red line to dump the puck in deep.

Don't need to get fancy especially when you are facing a team that can forecheck like the Canes.

This is true. The kid line supported the breakout better than the top 2 lines against Pittsburgh, and if you look at the 5v5 CF%, the kids are the only players above 50%. (Brodzinksi and Motte are also above 50% but only played 1 and 2 games respectively.) Chytil in particular will come way back into the defensive zone to help start the rush, and we have not seen that consistently from Zibanejad and Strome.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Yeah they are going to get demolished if they keep trying to breakout up the middle of the ice

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Occasionally, when you walk around the city or you're on the subway, somebody will be screaming about how the aliens are coming to bring us the ways of the true Jesus. When this happens, you just don't entertain it at all. Not interested, but not alarmed. You walk right past the poor guy.

That's how you treat Paul Bissonnette.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
Who is sitting for Jones if you want to keep Braun in? Schneider is not coming out.

The defense started to improve once Nemeth came out. The defense against Carolina’s offense is more important than helping PP2.
Schneider played 6 minutes in game 7 in an ot game. No so sure he’s a lock to stay in the lineup.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
I'm not optimistic about our chances in this series, but I am hopeful.

I think we're going to have to rope-a-dope em. The Rangers will do it so well that Ali will be smiling from wherever he is.

It can be tough to watch. For me, bourbon helps.

LGR!

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I'd like to see Jones and Braun but I don't see it happening. If Jones is still considered part of the taxi squad and not practicing with the main team, then that would mean the coaching staff sees Jones as behind Nemeth and Hajek in the pecking order.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
You didn’t notice him because he barely played. Only got 6 minutes. Braun got less than 10. They basically went 4 D.
Is that his fault? If Schneider keeps making the most of his minutes, that's more than fine.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
As much as I say im fine with the outcome of this series either way, I give it 1 game tops before i am cursing the existence of the Carolina Hurricanes players, coaches, fanbase and media. They love the smell of their own farts over there.

I also truly think the Rangers can get them off their game. They have a ton of hotheads & punks (Tony, Domi, Svech, etc.), and we are a team that has shown all year that we don't get rattled.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
1. Carolina is gonna want you to dump the puck. We refused to learn this lesson in the bubble
2. They are good defensively. But we know Skjei, Smith and Tony can be liabilities. Smith and Tony especially with penalties
3. If the Staal line is against Mika then Bread Strome and Copp better sit in the cryotank until Wed to heal up.
4. Please don't dress Reaves. Motte Rooney Brodz could give us an advantaged against their 4th line.
Sorry but Motte with his speed and forechecking is exactly who you want on the 4th line against Carolina. What is your reason for not wanting him and who is on 4th line?

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
Schneider and Braun are just getting their playoff sea legs, whereas Jones hasn't played an NHL game in how long? One game since February. Highly doubt Gallant is even considering putting Jones in unless injury forces him into the lineup. Not saying I love Schneider or Braun's game right now--just prefer to keep the discussion realistic.
You could see Jones if the Rangers get down a couple games right away in this series.

I think you misread his post. Motte Rooney Brodz is who he WANTS on the 4th
Oops my bad!!

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is that his fault? If Schneider keeps making the most of his minutes, that's more than fine.

I don't think he's really making the most out of his minutes. If he were he would have gotten more than 6 in a winner take all game.

He DID how ever make a great play to spring Mika and Kreider on that 2 v 1 in g7 that has generally gone unmentioned.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Scheider, a young rookie, may very well be good one day, but these days it ain't it. There is nothing we can do about it though. Nemeth is probably worse, Braun is trying to not be. Would take a disaster for Gallant to dress Jones or Hajek. We have to fight through this huge hole.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As much as I say im fine with the outcome of this series either way, I give it 1 game tops before i am cursing the existence of the Carolina Hurricanes players, coaches, fanbase and media. They love the smell of their own farts over there.

I also truly think the Rangers can get them off their game. They have a ton of hotheads & punks (Tony, Domi, Svech, etc.), and we are a team that has shown all year that we don't get rattled.
I agree we can get them to act dumb.

Whether or not the refs will call them for acting dumb based on how they feel like managing this one is another story.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Scheider, a young rookie, may very well be good one day, but these days it ain't it. There is nothing we can do about it though. Nemeth is probably worse, Braun is trying to not be. Would take a disaster for Gallant to dress Jones or Hajek. We have to fight through this huge hole.
The thing is, Hajek is the most mobile and has enough big-league experience, so could be a better fit against the Canes than the other three options. Hajek is a good skater and can make the first pass, granted if he's not pinned in or getting Hajreked by the heavy hitting.

Reactions: DialUp

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The thing is, Hajek is the most mobile and has enough big-league experience, so could be a better fit against the Canes than the other three options. Hajek is a good skater and can make the first pass, granted if he's not pinned in or getting Hajreked by the heavy hitting.
He’s also a grade a moron w the puck

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm just grateful Schneider is playing over Nemeth. Most coaches love their vets! I know Nemeth is beyond awful and can not keep up but I am still happy GG realized in time to sit this guy and keep in Schneider. Having said that he's not taking out Braun for Jones right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad