Series Talk: Rangers @ Hurricanes - Metropolitan Division Final

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Good points.

Another year in this window we may have a weaker team but a better chance at a cup.

People always say how it doesn't matter what other teams do but it does. Just as much as what we do.
This was a strange year. There was great disparity amongst the teams this year. And the three we likely have to face, look heads and tails better than the rest. I kinda like Calgary too, but I can't see them topping Colorado. They are a juggernaut and deserving favorites to win the Cup. They got their Captain back, just in time to sweep the Preds. Landeskog had 3 goals and 3 assists in the 4 games. He missed the last two months of the season and still had 30 goals and 59 points in 51 games. Getting him back with MacKinnon is huge. As if they needed him with their lineup.

I would never say never with the Rangers chances, but Geez,... is that a tough hill to climb. We might squeak by the Canes. Something tells me the Rangers want them badly.

But like you said, next year we might have a better shot.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This just isn't a Reaves series. I wonder if he plays the role of Nemeth and it takes GG a few games to realize.

Who are your fastest guys? Play them. Play them all.

The problem is Reaves has a relationship with Gallant and I doubt he sits as a result. That said when we were healthier he did sit for a few games but I get the feeling Gallant thinks he's some playoff warrior.

Reactions: leetch99

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I thought Reaves sat quite a bit with Gallant in Vegas. He didn't hesitate to healthy scratch him when they had the full lineup after the trade deadline. If they ever get healthy I don't think GG will hesitate to pull that trigger.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Fixed it for you
Not sure what you fixed.

When have the refs helped Carolina? Hell, their own in rehab color analyst whines worse than the Penguins do about calls against the Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes DO, IN FACT, take a lot of dumb and undisciplined penalties. That said, the same call is not made against Pittsburgh.
I repeat.

Many here will bitch and moan about the refs helping Carolina in the series. Some things are constants.

Reactions: Holocene

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Pitt murdered us with HDSCF at ES. We really need to clean up coverage in our own zone, because I have to believe that Carolina is studying what Pitt did to eviscerate us.

While Carolina's top line is a step down from Pitt, their insane depth is going to test our 3rd and 4th lines in a way they weren't against Pitt.

Still, most of our issues against Pitt stemmed from our inability to figure out their forecheck. I'm hoping these couple days off has given the coaching staff a chance to figure out how to fix this issue, because I have a hard time believing that Carolina won't attempt to exploit something we had no answer for against an inferior opponent.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
This is a series made for Jones. Put Braun back to his natural side and give Jones a shot.

Jones Braun. PLEASE.

Motte Rooney Brodz WE NEED THE SPEED PLEASE.

____

I'd look to tinker with the top9. I know there's zero chance Strome gets taken away from Panarin and that's the problem. That 2nd line needs speed. Swapping Strome and Chytil could work. Swapping Copp and Vatrano could work but Panarin/Copp has been producing somewhat.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
This is a series made for Jones. Put Braun back to his natural side and give Jones a shot.

Jones Braun. PLEASE.

Motte Rooney Brodz WE NEED THE SPEED PLEASE.

____

I'd look to tinker with the top9. I know there's zero chance Strome gets taken away from Panarin and that's the problem. That 2nd line needs speed. Swapping Strome and Chytil could work. Swapping Copp and Vatrano could work but Panarin/Copp has been producing somewhat.
Jones would also immediately help our PP2. We don't have anyone on the roster (obviously excluding the PP1 personnel) that can do what Jones can do for that unit. Gallant has been leaning on PP1 much heavier in the playoffs, and it's going to eventually burn us having exhausted, injured players out there for nearly the full two minutes.

The kid has fresh legs. He deserves a shot. You can always go back to someone else if it's not working.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Who is sitting for Jones if you want to keep Braun in? Schneider is not coming out.

The defense started to improve once Nemeth came out. The defense against Carolina’s offense is more important than helping PP2.

Reactions: bleedblue94

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The problem is Reaves has a relationship with Gallant and I doubt he sits as a result. That said when we were healthier he did sit for a few games but I get the feeling Gallant thinks he's some playoff warrior.
I'd have ex Cane Gauthier in game one for Reaves . Canes can't counter then with speed . On offensive zone draws I'd also have Kakko out more for puck possession instead of Gauthier/Reaves . Kakko is starting to get it ! Reaves is far from the answer for game #1.....an extra day/or 2 of rest won't hurt him either if he gets into #3& 4 at home .

I just think a menu of more Kakko and Gauthier would be best for generating more offensive chances and putting pressure on Smith/Cole/Skjei and cause some havoc . Plus....Gauthier would take it to the net and possibly cause some mayhem in doing so and lead to us getting a PP......how many did Reaves draw against the Pens ????

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I was going through Twitter today and it looks like Sam might be doing some of the Ranger games on radio. The only conflict Kenny has with TNT is Sunday, May 22. But he also may not be doing the bouncing between the two east series as he's slated to do TB/FLA on TV.
Yeah, sam said he’s going to be with Dave during round 2 after the game.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
A big positive is that Igor got his game back in game 7, he was excellent. We need that kind of performance every night if we want any chance vs the Canes. His play in games 2-5 won't really cut it, he can't be leaky like that. Hopefully it was just the combination of fatigue after the long game, the Carter hit and then the yips with his first time on the road in the playoffs and now he's past it.
Also not having Nemeth falling on you while letting everyone crash into you helps not be leaky too. 😂 but yeah, I agree some of his composure was rattled and let up a few stinkers.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I seriously doubt they throw away what got them here and sit Schneider for Jones. If Jones was so wonderful in his looks this year he'd be playing. He looked like a young defenseman, His time will come, but it's not now. Shiny new object isn't always the answer.

Reactions: McRanger92

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I really have no expectations here. Carolina is a tremendous team and their biggest strength attacks our biggest weakness. There is a chance this could be a very ugly series for NYR.

I said it yesterday but I really do feel like everything here on out is house money. This is the type of series the young players "learn" from.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It would be Schneider, who has struggled mightily.
You sure it wasn’t Schneider being dragged through the mud by Nemeth? Because once Nemeth became the 7th D who pretty much didnt play that game and then sat the next one, Schneider looked a lot better.

I like Jones. I think he has a future in the NHL. But he needs work in his own end and this is not the time to throw him out there. Not against Carolina and their forecheck, no matter how good Jones first pass ability is. Schneider has played a majority of the year against NHL bodies. Jones has not. Schneider now has a playoff series under his belt. He is bigger and stronger. They will need that more against the guys the Canes have.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I ask again, who is coming out for Jones?
Schneider or Braun. Let’s not pretend the entire 3rd pair didn’t get caved every game of that series. The difference is with Jones/Schneider as a pair, GG might actually staple them to the bench unlike Nemeth/Braun.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
We do not have an effective, NHL Playoff defensive 3rd pair. When they are on the ice, it tilts like super monkey ball into our corner immediately and for an entire minute and they both glitch out.

If we can shore that up next year, this team might get 120 points.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
The only time I noticed Schneider in game 7 is when he saved a goal early on. That's an ideal game from a young 3d. I'd take out Braun for Jones. I can't imagine GG would though.

Reactions: Unpredictable1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad