Speculation: Rangers Head Coach Search (Laviolette being finalized? According to Vince and Friedman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Party of my hate for Laviolette comes from tough teams we had to play. So actually a good thing.

The Flyers teams of the early 2010s were always a good battle. Hank owned them though. Laviolette's teams don't back down from a fight, which this team clearly needs more of.

Yeah, I guess if Paul Maurice, the patron saint of "this is certainly a guy," can get his team to forecheck, anybody can.

All the Laviolette angst is hot air if the roster doesnt play to it's capabilities. They are better than what theyve shown us the last 2 years.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
He always had a heaven physical teams. How would he do with a finesse skilled team. Maybe this forces Panarin to want out. One can hope
Would LOVE to hear the "honest" sentiments of each and every player. NOT the recycled "well, he has a good reputation in this league, etc."
Will he just let the boys "play", or will he instill some physical contact even more than what they already do. I mean, sans the PO's we were actually one of the most physical teams, weren't we?

Wanted "Q", but at least I can accept seeing his face on the screen. Just find a way to shake up this team. Starting with Panarin. I'm done with him.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The Flyers teams of the early 2010s were always a good battle. Hank owned them though. Laviolette's teams don't back down from a fight, which this team clearly needs more of.

All the Laviolette angst is hot air if the roster doesnt play to it's capabilities. They are better than what theyve shown us the last 2 years.
I believe MUCH better, but the bottom line is......IF the players don't self motivate, than there's only so much A COACH CAN DO.

Reactions: McRanger92

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Othmann and Cuylle better make sure they put down 2 year leases on a place in Hartford. I'd say the same for Jones, but it wouldn't shock me if he gets dealt this summer.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Othmann and Cuylle better make sure they put down 2 year leases on a place in Hartford. I'd say the same for Jones, but it wouldn't shock me if he gets dealt this summer.

I think Jones getting moved or passed by Robertson on the pecking order is likelier with the hire. But after watching Laviolette's teams up close for many years, Othmann and Cuylle seem like guys who would thrive playing under him. Maybe he can help turn Cuylle into a modern Scott Hartnell

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I think Jones getting moved or passed by Robertson on the pecking order is likelier with the hire. But after watching Laviolette's teams up close for many year, Othmann and Cuylle seem like guys who would thrive playing under him.

they won’t get a chance. Love loves his vets, he chases young guys off.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I’m still not a fan of this; but maybe it is also due to the fact how bad his stint with the Caps went.

I mean he is a good coach. But he really isn’t inspiring and feels like his style is more old school rather than what some other coaches are starting to move too.

I just think it is lazy bc he is the only big name that doesn’t have serious negative baggage.

depends on who they put as his assistants. Would Knobby move up? could they poach cadberry if that coaching staff is let go?

it might be better for the team to have lavs as the head coach bc he commands respect for his record. But having a young guy like Canberra or knobby that helps push a more modern hockey can maybe really benefit him as well as prepare them to take over in the future.

just a thought.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't really care at this point if it's Laviolette or whoever. I just want these two things to occur:

- Drury informs the coach that Kreider, Laf, Panarin and Kakko are your top-6 wingers. Make it work. I don't care who of the forementioned LW you move to the right, but you move someone and make it work. This is what we have. Maybe you might add at the deadline, contenders usually do. But this is what we are going into the season with, and that's it.
- Actually implement some sort of offensive plan, where our units can break out with control and structure, and actually do something in the offensive end that is not just relying on skill alone. I'm getting tired of our forwards standing around with no idea what to do when starting offence, relying on counter-attacks for dangerous chances, and spending the rest of the time in the corners.

If this is the route they go, they should have just hung onto Gallant and revisited this mid season or after next season if they needed to.
Exit-interviews were the death nail for Gallant.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
they won’t get a chance. Love loves his vets, he chases young guys off.
I would hope that the mandate from above would be to get more out of the kids. If Drury hires Lavi and Lavi doesn't give them bigger roles, they both should be fired.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If this is the route they go, they should have just hung onto Gallant and revisited this mid season or after next season if they needed to.

He did in Washington.

Most of the younger core pieces in Nashville were already there when he got there.

Ditto Philly.

Fehevary was a top pair defenseman for them pretty quickly. I know there's some angst over how McMichael and Alexeyev were used, but like Philly and Nashville, our most important young players are nearly veterans already despite their age. I'm not worried.

Reactions: Kords

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Reading all these fans calling us a finesse/skill team is hilarious, just cuz we’re soft doesn’t mean we’re skilled lol. Most the team can’t skate, deke, pass, has bad hockey IQ; what skill?
When the team becomes less than the sum of its parts, you usually look at coaching.

Individually looking, I don't buy your claims at all that we just have lousy players in all facets of the game. They weren't bad before they came here, and they weren't always bad with us either.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Yeah, I guess if Paul Maurice, the patron saint of "this is certainly a guy," can get his team to forecheck, anybody can.
Don’t forget they had Quenville and Brunette before. Sometimes it’s the setup guy (like torts into av.

We had a caveman with no plan beforehand so not so overly optimistic about us figuring out how to run a modern offense.

This guy had middle of the pack 5v5 numbers too.

Ughh

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Exit-interviews were the death nail for Gallant.
What's alarming to me is that this is the second coach in the past 10 years in which exit interviews were supposedly the turning point for deciding to fire a coach. Were Sather and Drury really not paying enough attention and not have the pulse of the room at the time and didn't see that a change was needed from Torts and Gallant before the break up day interviews? This doesn't inspire confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad