Speculation: Rangers Head Coach Search (Laviolette being finalized? According to Vince and Friedman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
He won 1 Cup.

Now we're counting made it to the finals.

That's in a career that spans over 2 decades.

Which other NHL coaches did your buddy play for?
Just curious, but why does the NHL coach qualifier matter for that person's opinion?

I played HS baseball, basketball and hockey, and hockey in college. My brother played HS football, baseball, and basketball, college football and basketball, and a journeyman career on 4 or 5 NFL teams.

We spoke on it long ago and I think we both commented our favorite/best coach may have been one of our childhood baseball coaches in either little league or pony-colt (sorry, not recalling which cuz we did little league and pony-colt in the 70s, and that feels like 47,000 yrs ago).

Does the most effective or favorite coach an athlete had necessarily need to be at a specific level?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The same crowd ripping a lavi hired wouldve ripped a doboer and paul maurice hire last offseason too.

I believe only scotty bowman has won cups with more than 1 franchise. So yeah, making cups with 3 franchises is a valuable data point
DeBoer hire I wouldn't even watch. Maurice, he's my coach for my new team. Go Panthers!

Not my first choice, or probably 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th lol, but on the other hand I'm not exactly enthralled with the team as it already is constructed so whining about who the coach is, is really low on the list of complaints I have. Would have liked someone better but just like with Gallant I am indifferent overall.
I would like to play modern day hockey.

The Assistants need to be godtier. Especially with the young forwards...

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
I'd have preferred Sullivan but no guarantees that's an option.

Laviolette's not the worst option out there. Given how poorly our board has reacted, it might even be a good thing. This board has abysmal record of getting things right, Gallant being the most recent example. They wanted Gallant. They turned on him in less than 2 years.
Haha! So true. And I’m as guilty as the next guy…

This sounds suspiciously like the Costanza Opposite. God I hope so…

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I'd have preferred Sullivan but no guarantees that's an option.

Laviolette's not the worst option out there. Given how poorly our board has reacted, it might even be a good thing. This board has abysmal record of getting things right, Gallant being the most recent example. They wanted Gallant. They turned on him in less than 2 years.

This is not really true. People wanted Gallant when the other options given were Tocchet and Hartley. Some choices right? Even then there was a lot of apprehension about the "mysterious" ways he got fired in the past, and why he didn't last in his jobs. And people stressed they thought he'd be an improvement over Quinn for the locker room but doubted he'd be the guy to bring the team a cup.

I'm still waiting for the day Drury shows even a glimpse of intelligence or particular talent at his work (e: apart from "working" the old boys in the backrooms).

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Some people might see it that way. I think more people, particularly around here, view it more as insight into the organizational philosophy/plan.

Drury doesn’t communicate. We don’t know why GG got fired. We don’t know why Rammer was let go. We don’t know what his plan is to get Laf and Kakko going, or to take the next step in the playoffs.

This move reeks of “safe”. Let’s put out the fire. Steady the ship. Let’s continue to exude “class”, take care of people, do things the “right” way.

This move gives no information. The status quo has been maintained.

People just want to know what the plan is.

This is a great point. Between Drury and Leon Rose, the GMs of both MSG teams have spoke to the press or fans roughly zero times in years. No owner should ever allow that. They’re in charge, they should speak to major decisions. But the owner is a thin skinned baby. So it’s allowed.

It’s not specific to Laviolette to be fair to him. I don’t have faith in this team at all. The decisions have been bipolar and inconsistent. The Rangers look very much like the Knicks of old - chasing stars and building first round peak teams. The dolan way.

The Knicks are way more exciting currently. It’s not even close. The atmosphere, the team. Everything. First time in 20 years?

tlk

Zeev Buium appreciation corps
Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
They wanted Gallant.
Not everyone, by far. Also, GG vs Quinn was a no-brainer. Quinn outlasted his time by a year at least.

They turned on him in less than 2 years.
Like on anybody when things go south. And GG wasn't the only culprit, again, by far.
Also let's put it like that we have some special cases here.

I'd have preferred Sullivan
Others would defo prefer him as well and not only to Lavi. The same others who's opinion I value have pretty much predicted what would be the problem with GG.. But he was the best option available.

While I've yet to see much (or any) enthusiasm for Lavi.
Saying he has more chances to come good because this board wanted GG and look what happened is straight up bending facts.

Reactions: CLW

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
1685449943041.png

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
All of the Rangers beat writers have been quiet on the news concerning Laviolette. They don't like the hiring. They discussed Laviolette on their podcasts. Vince would have preferred an outside the box candidate. Mollie mentioned Laviolette's teams haven't won a playoff round in five seasons. She would have preferred them keeping Gallant than hiring another retread. I don't think Brooks is enthralled with Laviolette.

Maybe the boring hire is the right one. And if Mollie or Vince dont like it maybe it's a good thing. Mollie just favors the players and coaches who are nice to her and Vince articles are basically a copy paste from our RBT. Brooks has been pining over Sullivan who never even became available. Poor journalism all around if they are the last people to catch on to the prospective hire.

I wanted a younger hire but Knoblauch isnt getting poached this hiring cycle, and I could see him being promoted to the NHL staff. As for Carberry and Leach, I mean, they are interesting candidates as far as rookie HCs go but they are assistants for teams that lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Are they going to get the veterans to buy in? Because as much as I want the kids to have bigger roles (and I think they will even with Lavy), getting the veterans to play the right way is the main priority because we can trade any of them yet.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Who wouldve been your choice?
I would have been interested in any of Leach, Carbery, or Knoblauch. I even warmed up to the idea of giving Roy a shot after a long time away.

Going with the warmest body that coached this past year and has coached a bunch before feels like plugging a hole. No fundamental change on a team that needs to change something.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I would have been interested in any of Leach, Carbery, or Knoblauch. I even warmed up to the idea of giving Roy a shot after a long time away.

Going with the warmest body that coached this past year and has coached a bunch before feels like plugging a hole. No fundamental change on a team that needs to change something.

I like the idea of Roy (and until Laviolette is official i still think theres a chance). I think we'd be spinning our wheels with a younger coach. We say how Panarin and the boys tuned out Quinn who came in as a rookie HC.

I do think the success of the retread HCs this year is promising. 3 of the Final 4 teams had coaches who coached different teams last year. And I dont exactly blame Laviolette for the Caps struggles. He took over that team as it's been exiting their window and dealt with massive injury issues to their best players the last few years. Laviolette has had good success in the playoffs previously and I think the Rangers obviously have a very talented playoff team, they just need someone who will get them to play with more consistency.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like the idea of Roy (and until Laviolette is official i still think theres a chance). I think we'd be spinning our wheels with a younger coach. We say how Panarin and the boys tuned out Quinn who came in as a rookie HC.

I do think the success of the retread HCs this year is promising. 3 of the Final 4 teams had coaches who coached different teams last year. And I dont exactly blame Laviolette for the Caps struggles. He took over that team as it's been exiting their window and dealt with massive injury issues to their best players the last few years. Laviolette has had good success in the playoffs previously and I think the Rangers obviously have a very talented playoff team, they just need someone who will get them to play with more consistency.
Yeah, I guess if Paul Maurice, the patron saint of "this is certainly a guy," can get his team to forecheck, anybody can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad