Speculation: Rangers Head Coach Search (Laviolette being finalized? According to Vince and Friedman)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don’t mind this all things considered. He’s been at 5 different stops, has taken 3 teams to the Cup and won once. Winningest American born HC. We’re a win now team and he’s the win now coach. It’s not like he’s one of those coaches who has been historically carried by good goalies like Gallant did. I always liked how his teams played.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Drury will hire his 3rd coach after firing Laviolette but Drury will be fired one season after hiring the 3rd coach. Dolan will hire Henrik Lundqvist to run the Rangers.

I know money talks, but man, Hank seems like he has such a sweetheart retirement. Works for MSG and Turner. Loved by the fans, and gets to drink with celebs at MSG games and events.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The lavi hate is non-sensical. Hes one of the best coaches in league history and is one of only 4 coaches in history to have taken 3 separate franchises to cups.

I have a buddy who played for him in the national and says by far best coach hes ever had at any level.

He won 1 Cup.

Now we're counting made it to the finals.

That's in a career that spans over 2 decades.

Which other NHL coaches did your buddy play for?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I don’t mind this all things considered. He’s been at 5 different stops, has taken 3 teams to the Cup and won once. Winningest American born HC. We’re a win now team and he’s the win now coach. It’s not like he’s one of those coaches who has been historically carried by good goalies like Gallant did. I always liked how his teams played.

Maybe this will force Drury to get a roster to Laviolette’s style. Maybe Kreider will go back to his nasty physical forward he used to be before the Price incident. If Laviolette forces Panarin out that’s a win just based on that. Panarin dangling bs but not work for Laviolette he is not that skilled and does not plays a heavy game like Ovechkin who plays hard and does not shy away from confrontation

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Maybe this will force Drury to get a roster to Laviolette’s style. Maybe Kreider will go back to his nasty physical forward he used to be before the Price incident. If Laviolette forces Panarin out that’s a win just based on that. Panarin dangling bs but not work for Laviolette he is not that skilled and does not plays a heavy game like Ovechkin who plays hard and does not shy away from confrontation

I think Laviolette will like the way Lafreniere, Othmann and Cuylle will play. I also almost expect Oshie or Wilson to be here by deadline day

Reactions: RangersFan1994

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'd have preferred Sullivan but no guarantees that's an option.

Laviolette's not the worst option out there. Given how poorly our board has reacted, it might even be a good thing. This board has abysmal record of getting things right, Gallant being the most recent example. They wanted Gallant. They turned on him in less than 2 years.
Yeah I mean, full disclosure, I liked the Gallant hire for sure. Same for Vigneault. Neither proved to be the move to ultimately push us over the top. It can be hard as a fan to assess who really is and isn't the right fit, especially when you don't know what the FO has planned in terms of roster construction.

To reiterate, I'm not inspired by Laviolette. Hopefully I'll be wrong again, LOL.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I think Laviolette will like the way Lafreniere, Othmann and Cuylle will play. I also almost expect Oshie or Wilson to be here by deadline day

I would love Oshie or Wilson,

I wonder if Laviolette will like Panarin or tired of his finesse dangle miss the net BS nonsense. Anyone think Drury is doing this to force Panarin to buy in or go disappear out of the organization

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
He won 1 Cup.

Now we're counting made it to the finals.

That's in a career that spans over 2 decades.

Which other NHL coaches did your buddy play for?
The same crowd ripping a lavi hired wouldve ripped a doboer and paul maurice hire last offseason too.

I believe only scotty bowman has won cups with more than 1 franchise. So yeah, making cups with 3 franchises is a valuable data point

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
As long as Drury and Laviolette are on the same page it can work.

Cassidy too

Like I said the some of the finesse roster and Laviolette might clash. Would Panarin last a full season with Laviolette who demands backcheck forchecking etc not dangling anywhere on the ice

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I appreciate the run down. Sounds like the exact opposite of what this team needs to do. Had 'nam like flashbacks reading about the man to man defensive system. Barf.

Not optimistic about the next 2 or 3 years at all.
Yeah, I remember seeing this before he was hired and it triggering me. It's sat in the back of my mind the entire time, even with Ovi defying all odds.

What'll be very interesting to me is how he handles a huge market like New York. I mean, it's not as vicious as other sports but I feel that's a different beast compared to even Philly, let alone Carolina, Nashville, or Washington.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
1685407906864.png

Meh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filip Chytil

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I'd have preferred Sullivan but no guarantees that's an option.

Laviolette's not the worst option out there. Given how poorly our board has reacted, it might even be a good thing. This board has abysmal record of getting things right, Gallant being the most recent example. They wanted Gallant. They turned on him in less than 2 years.

we all would have oreferrred fresh blood and faces in the organizatio. Lovy is a bad coach, proved over the past 4 seasons. He’s terrible and getting young talent to become something and will again lean heavily on the vets. It’s just more of the same.

we didn’t mind gallant but smart people who know a thing or two about hockey understood he only has a 2 year shelf life.

this is a terrible hire that will continue to hurt our young forwards and bring more of the same crappy coaching with his dumbass haircut and gum chewing.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Panarin after being yelled at by Laviolette after his 1st Rangers practice with the Rangers, for turning over the puck by no blind passing

IMG_3534.png

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
He wins in the playoffs granted not lately but he has a better playoffs success over Gallant. Maybe he will force Panarin to play playoff hockey

lol wins in the playoffs? So did gallant in years past. These are dinosaurs and they can’t and don’t know how to change up game plans. Lovy is trash. Let him go back to the islanders where he again did no thing

Panarin after being yelled at by Laviolette after his 1st Rangers practice with the Rangers, for turning over the puck by no blind passing

View attachment 713772

thats lovy bc he is a f***ing p***y and will be catering to panarin.

come on we knew what lovy is. And he is BAD

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
The same crowd ripping a lavi hired wouldve ripped a doboer and paul maurice hire last offseason too.

I believe only scotty bowman has won cups with more than 1 franchise. So yeah, making cups with 3 franchises is a valuable data point
Dobear is trash but Paul maurice I’m. Down for

Reactions: RangersFan1994

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Panarin led them in even strength points, but the narrative must be kept.
How did he do the games that mattered? (Playoffs). Just curious.

pure apathy. Who cares at this point?! We've been saying it for almost 2/3 years now and it won't happen next year as well. Panarin will get the big minutes and pretty much all of the pp time then Laf/Kakko get to play 15 seconds with Trouba. Honestly don't care anymore. Whatever happens happens.
I know, i was just holding out some hope things would change a bit but we know that isnt happening.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Had all this typed up, hope no one is upset I post it here instead.

I don't mean to reign on the parade, I wanted to read what the fans thoughts were on a possible hire, but this is literally what the Capitals needed over the last 2 or 3 years and he refused to do it.

He ran Vrana out off the team, shoved Connor McMichael back too AHL when he's been beyond that development point for 2 years now, and basically force fed awful guys like Eller and Irwin minutes they didn't deserve. He broke Anthony Mantha who, believe it or not, was one of the best underlying numbers (and eye test) to start the season. He refused to play Alexander Alexeyev, who ended the season as showing he should have been playing msot of the year, on defense until he was literally forced to via injury.

Literally the only guy who seemed to get a free pass was Kuznetsov, and he was one of the worst players on our team. Lavi has a dog house, and it must always be filled. I would be terrified that one of Lafreniere or Kakko will fill it for him.

Focused is predominantly on the defensive zone. Relies on man to man defending, which will probably be better for you all then it was for some of the dinosaurs we had on our team. Puts a lot expectation on the forwards coming back to help out, be defensively responsible, and basically all designed around getting someone on the stretch pass up the sidewall to get on the offense. I wasn't a huge fan, but it was also probably a that I had the Trotz style defense on my mind and Lavi's defense never felt as smooth and safe as that.

Offensively I feel like the game might have passed him by. I was excited for his hire because he was known as the guy who could bleed a rock for production, but we just never got that production. The offensive side of things felt like it lacked creativity and any real sense of purpose beside try to get it in deep and forecheck. The only saving grace is he wasn't really a dump and chase guy, but their neutral zone play was atrocious so it might have been better.

I have no idea on the special teams play. For our power play we had a teacher's pet who's been there for like a decade running it so I wouldn't call it his bag. The PK was outstanding at times, and they were on it often, but we kept the guy who was supposedly in charge of that so I have no idea how he'd deploy it with you all.

I think all and all you're going to win a lot of games, I hope he doesn't wear Igor out, but I don't know if he's the guy that puts you over the edge. I really thought he'd be better suited to a spot like Toronto.
Hooooray. … more stretch passes. It’s been working wonders for us the past decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad