LeBrun: Rangers and Montreal possibly talking trade. Habs interested in NYR prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I don't feel like Kravtsov is the prospect MTL is interested in. There is a significant need in MTL for RD in the NHL and in the pipeline, Rangers have a bit of a logjam at that position. Cs are another spot where MTL needs guys in the pipeline, but I'm not sure NYR has anything interesting there.
The Rangers do have RHD. They don't have Cs.

Reactions: Draft

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Teams have lots of discussions with other teams about potential deals. A fraction of them actually get done. Teams like to have contingency plans in case they need a replacement due to injuries or if they want to make another trade (like for Miller for example) that ships a current roster player to Vancouver creating a vacancy that needs to be filled.

This is a much more reasonable and coherent interpretation than "actually, the insiders know nothing, the Rangers are just added for clicks".

Reactions: Archijerej and BLNY
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think it's pretty easy (and safe) to speculate the Rangers are looking to make moves. They have a first-year GM and there is speculation he has a mandate to make the playoffs. The Rangers also have the capspace and young pieces to get a deal done for this season.

That said, there's also a very good chance that GMCD is just doing his due diligence.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
The insiders are nothing but shills looking for clicks.
I wouldn’t take anything they say, to seriously.

I’m a Jets fan and I remember Chiarot… he’s not worth a 1st

Too many insiders saying the same thing, too much history with other transactions. Weak draft year has brought the value of picks down relative to other years. Seems more like you're just out of touch and/or haven't watched Chiarot in three years.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
The insiders are nothing but shills looking for clicks.
I wouldn’t take anything they say, to seriously.

I’m a Jets fan and I remember Chiarot… he’s not worth a 1st

Have you seen Chiarot in the playoff? He has made big improvement with the Habs. Chiarot (Jets version) may not worth a 1st but Chiarot (Habs version) definately worth a 1st.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yes, fans that follow the team know what they want for the roster. This team does not need any real help on the back end. They are young, but the whole team is. Can't get playoff experience without playing in the game. Chiarot takes that away from someone like Jones, who looked really good next the Schneider last night.

The biggest team need is at forward. The team lost Blais very early for the whole year. Kakko has now been out for a prolonged period, and will be for another month. Kravtsov got up and left for Russia. Hunt was supposed to be the 13th forward. McKegg was supposed to be a veteran call-up. They're pretty much in the lineup every night.

So to say the Rangers do not need to be wasting assets on a defenseman that is traditionally no better than Patrick Nemeth, who is already locked in for 2 more years, and the team desperately needs to add to their forward group, then yeah, the Rangers don't need Ben Chiarot and are not interested in bringing in a player that we've already got on the roster.
Yep you know exactly what the front office wants just by following the team...come on.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I don't mean this with any disrespect but a 1st for Chiarot is already a lot. He's a bottom-pair defender. Lehkonen for Kravtsov and a 4th isn't enough? It seems off to me.

3rd pairing defenceman? He was MTL most use player in the playoffs last year, ahead of Weber and Petry. He's not perfect but no way he's a 3rd pairing defenceman.....

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
ohh ya that gives him insight into what the front office may or may not do makes sense.
Yes, it does. Because he's using what he knows about the team and his common sense to make a much more educated guess about what's going to happen more than you ever could.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Have you seen Chiarot in the playoff? He has made big improvement with the Habs. Chiarot (Jets version) may not worth a 1st but Chiarot (Habs version) definately worth a 1st.

It's no different a take than an Oilers fan thinking of Petry only as the version that played for them.

Reactions: Gravity

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I suspect they're talking about a lot of things, and I hope they're talking about Dvorak.
I mean, they could talk about Chiarot and Lehkonen and Kulak. But I hope they're talking about Dvorak.

And that would also give a purpose to Pitlick.

Reactions: Draft

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Not from the Rangers though. You're looking for top 4 value for a guy who would not be in the Rangers' top 4.

Thats certainly fair. If The Rangers won't pay up there will be other teams. There were many teams rumoured to be interested...

Also, I might be wrong but I dont think Lebrun mentioned Chiarot at all anyways. It might be about someone else...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yes, it does. Because he's using what he knows about the team and his common sense to make a much more educated guess about what's going to happen more than you ever could.
Sure buttercup. I'll trust Friedman and other insiders a hell of a lot more than you or that other guy. People say so and so will not be traded or such and such a team will not be adding a certain player and then it happens.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I can totally see why the Rangers would want Chiarot. They have a great defence, but it's very young and untested in the playoff. Trouba is the leader with 30 playoff games in career.

Fox/Lindgren/Miller/Jones/Schneider have played 6 games combined. And I'm not sure they want Nemeth as the guy with experience to put in (who have 28 games) because he's not that good.

That being said, if I'm the Rangers I'm holding dearly on Braden Schneider and hang up if they ask for him.

Reactions: AirGut

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm also using this thing called "Logic" and "Common Sense." Try it sometime!

If you're de-legitimizing all insiders, ignoring their potential sources of information, ignoring the logic of your own argument, and interpreting your personal "logic" and "common sense" as "evidence", then you are not using "logic" or "common sense" at all.

Reactions: Rozz

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Sure buttercup. I'll trust Friedman and other insiders a hell of a lot more than you or that other guy. People say so and so will not be traded or such and such a team will not be adding a certain player and then it happens.
Yeah, or it doesn't. Especially not with Elliote "I'm thinking" Friedman.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
The Rangers do have RHD. They don't have Cs.

I think that Lundkvist is the guy that MTL is and should be targeting. Schneider has looked great in his first games and appears better suited to breaking in on the third pairing. There's a definite fit there for the Rangers now and moving forard and it doesn't seem worth it for NYR to move him on the cusp of playoff time. With all of this Bobrov talk and MTL's needs for RD, Lundkvist fits the bill. I think the trade needs to be bigger than just Chiarot to facilitate that move though.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If you're de-legitimizing all insiders, ignoring their potential sources of information, ignoring the logic of your own argument, and interpreting your personal "logic" and "common sense" as "evidence", then you are not using "logic" or "common sense" at all.
What have these insiders called correctly on the Rangers lately? Something they were "hearing" that happened.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
There will be takers for Chiarot and Lehkonen. The Rangers may be the lone takers for Dvorak, at the TDL anyways. Hence why I hope it's about Dvorak.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don't feel like Kravtsov is the prospect MTL is interested in. There is a significant need in MTL for RD in the NHL and in the pipeline, Rangers have a bit of a logjam at that position. Cs are another spot where MTL needs guys in the pipeline, but I'm not sure NYR has anything interesting there.
This is exactly right. Lots of Habs fans seem to be fixated with Kravtsov, but they seem to forget there is only a finite amount of trading capital that would be enticing to the Rangers. Assuming Petry is gone, the weakest position in the organisation is RD which, incidentally, is the Rangers' area of strength.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
According to the information we have available from insiders, Chiarot is definitely worth a late 1st and Lehkonen is also in that range. According to trades in previous years with roughly equivalent players, they're both worth 1sts.

it only takes one buyer pay a high price (IMHO Habs did surprisingly well re Toffoli)
while NYR fans feel very compelled to spend assets soon, there is no indication that FO feels that way

i don't expect NYR to overpay for depth players or rentals
their contention window is just beginning to open, unlike the handful of recent multi-run contenders

there will be opportunities to get guys for more prudent, less drastic cost, who could fill the roles Chiarot and Lehkonen would assume

I hope the Habs do well in their rebuild,
but not because NYR got blinded by some sooner-than-expected regular-season success

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad