OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Polanco likes to fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
That's a damn shame. How does that happen? One eyewitness said he became excitable when A-Rod was announced to hit. Not to speak ill of those who have perished in these incidents over the last few years, but it's not worth your life to boo A-Rod or reach for a foul ball.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Mercer has started more than Kang since he returned from injury. I dare somebody to defend this **** at this point. Mercer is one of the worst hitting regulars in all of major league baseball and Hurdle keeps starting him anyway.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
If Hurdle wants Mercer in the field with Morton on the mound, that's understandable. 2 points on that though.

1.) Why not just give Rammer a day off? He's been hitting pretty well, but Kang is a better fielder at the position and not such a slouch at the plate either. If the logic is to play Mercer when Morton pitches because there will be lots of grounders then why does that logic not apply to 3b? Kang is clearly the best fielder they have at 3rd.

2.) If Hurdle must go without Kang in the lineup when Morton is on the mound, why give Kang a day off 3 days before Morton pitches? Hurdle should be trying everything he can to get Kang in the lineup. Instead he is doing everything he can to keep him on the bench.

I don't see how anybody could defend Hurdle's lineup decisions as of late. This is just plain stupidity.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
Ramirez has been making all the plays that need to be made at 3rd base. He's driving in runs consistently. Kang has cooled at the plate recently and has previously played seasons in Korea that were about 130 games in length. Hurdle is likely being cautious about over-using Kang. With the bench the Bucs have right now it's not stupidity to rest anyone.

Finally announced: Bucs and Cubs will make up their rainout game on September 15th as part of a twin bill. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...5-to-make-up-for-rainout/stories/201508300174

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Hurdle is eventually going to get to the point where he sits Kang against every lefty, i think that's what he really want to do.

Eventually get to the point? Kang has sat 3 times against lefties in the last 6 days.

Hasn't hurt the team yet. When it does, then I'll join your side of complaining about it.

I don't see why we should wait until Hurdle directly costs them a game before we criticize his asinine lineup decisions. They are still dumb decisions even if the team manages to win the game. Do you agree with these decisions? Do you think Hurdle is making good lineup decisions? I don't see why you need to defend everything he does. It's like you are just trying to play Devil's advicate for ***** and giggles.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hurdle is right Kang isn't as good against lefty this year, but he still has a better ops against lefty then Ramirez and Mercer do.

Kang 741
Mercer 673
Ramirez 651

And Kang is a better fielder then Ramirez is.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Can we all agree that Kang has hit much better when he only sees the bench once a week? He has not hit well when he's been given significant time off. So please explain to me how it's smart to use your 2nd best hitter in a way that will cause him not to hit as well.

The people using the kbo scheduling argument are not thinking this through. Kang has shown no signs of fatigue when playing every day and has performed better in that role. The evidence suggests that he should play more often, not less often.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Playing less often only hinders players from getting into grooves. Kang getting the bench 3 out of 4 days is ridiculous. I'd tell that to Hurdles face and loudly. Kang has outhit all but 2 players all year when given regular at bats. And the gap between his bat and Mercer's is far far greater than the gap each gives the Pirates defensively. Go look at every advanced number out there. Proves my point. And the eyeball test as well.

The fatigue factor is total ********. A day off a week is plenty. Maybe a 2nd now and then but he doesn't need to be out 3 of 4.

This is Hurdle being obsessed with Mercer because he's better defensively (although FAR worse offensively) and has been around longer.

Quite frankly this should be the lineup almost every night out. If you want Mercer in then Kang starts at third and you put Ramirez on the bench as a top pinch hitter. Mercer hits 8th if he starts.

Polanco
Marte
Cutch
Ramirez (look at his Pirates numbers they're more than ok for a #4 who is supposed to drive in runs)
Kang
Alvarez
Cervelli
Walker

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Thanks for helping to carry the offense for months Kang. Now you go sit so we can play the 2nd worst hitter on the team every day.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Kang should not be sitting like this -- if Hurdle wants Mercer in the lineup for defense/against all LHPs, then Ramirez should be sitting more. I think there's a pretty clear cut case that Mercer is a better defensive SS than Kang, but there's an even clearer case that with everyone now healthy, Kang is a better 3B than Ramirez at the very least.

It's possible that they have some kind of conditioning algorithm stressing to have Kang sit more often now, but that seems highly unlikely, and as NAO is pointing out, Kang seems to not do as well with frequent games off.

My hope is that it's a temporary liberal resting of Kang against some bad teams, but smart money is on Hurdle misuing his best players for the rest of the season. Even today, we need to go for the kill and sweep the Rockies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Jordy Mercer is Craig Adams, Hurdle is Bylsma. This has nothing to do with Morton pitching or a lefty being on the mound for the Rockies. This is Hurdle's man crush for a really bad baseball player.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Comparing Jordy Mercer to Craig Adams is just ridiculous.

Kang shouldn't be sitting, that is a joke, but you don't need to smear a guy who is a year removed from having a 2.8 WAR to make that point.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Comparing Jordy Mercer to Craig Adams is just ridiculous.

I'm not saying he is as bad a baseball player as Adams is a hockey player. I am saying that his playing time is a result of his manager seemingly being obsessed with him.

I'd argue the Mercer situation is actually worse. Disco played Adams over other 4th liners who were only slightly less terrible than Adams. Hurdle is playing Mercer over one of the best players on the team. That's the equivalent of Disco playing Adams while benching Neal.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Also I'm tired of hearing about what Mercer did last year. He was great last year, but that has no bearing on what he is doing now. This year, he has been a laughably bad hitter and his fielding has also regressed. Without a doubt, he is one of the absolute worst regular players in all of major league baseball. The fact that he was a good player in 2014 is meaningless when the games are being played in 2015.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
the correct comparison IMO is Comparing Mercer/Kang situation to the Mercer/Barmes situation a few years back... when Barmes was the lesser hitting option but a Slightly better fielder and Hurdle gave him start after start... Hurdle loves the slightly better defensive options over hitting..

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
the correct comparison IMO is Comparing Mercer/Kang situation to the Mercer/Barmes situation a few years back... when Barmes was the lesser hitting option but a Slightly better fielder and Hurdle gave him start after start... Hurdle loves the slightly better defensive options over hitting..

If we are going with recent Pirates examples, I'd go with Barajas playing over McKenry in 2011.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
We'll find out real soon whether this is going to be the long trend through the end of the year. I can MAYBE buy it because we're playing a team known for hitting and they happen to be one of the 2 worst teams in all of baseball. I'd rather have Kang starting every night vs teams the Cards and Cubs down the stretch.

My money is on Mercer getting the starting nod most nights though based on history.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The Rockies shouldn't be known for hitting, they are one of the worst hitting teams in the league. They can only hit at Coors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad