OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Polanco likes to fish

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't see Cutch as the kind of guy whose only interest is the amount of zeroes at the end of his contract...plus he'll be 32 when he hits free agency.

I'm not saying I'm expecting it, I'm saying it wouldn't surprise me. It takes a personality type to be a lifer these days, and Cutch has that kind of personality. Now if it will be smart for the Pirates or not is a completely different question....breaking the bank for a 32 year-old center fielder may not be our wisest move when it comes down to it...that said, I still think Cutch will be a ~.315 hitter with solid all fields power into his mid-30s, he just won't have the speed and will have to move to a corner.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Plus there is more to it beyond money. McCutchen is honestly the face of Pittsburgh sports right now. Yes, even more so than Crosby because the Pens have been such a huge disappointment for the past half decade and the Pirates are the toast of the town now. He's extremely personable and does a ton of good for the community. He's the anti Barry Bonds in that regard. He doesn't shy away from the attention and puts his fame to good uses.

I'm not sure how I feel amount giving FA type money to a a 32 year old OF but as Big said i think he'll still be a productive big league player into his mid 30's, at least. With that being said, we don't have the same luxuries many other teams have in terms of disposable income. I really want Cutch to finish his career here. If he can help guide this team to a title he'll be in line for a statue and the type of lore that Maz and Clemente share around Pittsburgh. He means so much to this franchise and city.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Plus there is more to it beyond money. McCutchen is honestly the face of Pittsburgh sports right now. Yes, even more so than Crosby because the Pens have been such a huge disappointment for the past half decade and the Pirates are the toast of the town now. He's extremely personable and does a ton of good for the community. He's the anti Barry Bonds in that regard. He doesn't shy away from the attention and puts his fame to good uses.

I'm not sure how I feel amount giving FA type money to a a 32 year old OF but as Big said i think he'll still be a productive big league player into his mid 30's, at least. With that being said, we don't have the same luxuries many other teams have in terms of disposable income. I really want Cutch to finish his career here. If he can help guide this team to a title he'll be in line for a statue and the type of lore that Maz and Clemente share around Pittsburgh. He means so much to this franchise and city.

Yeah this, especially the last part. He's a very special player and person. If he leaves Pittsburgh it's gonna be an astronomical blow to our team.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I never gave up on Polanco but I will admit that I'm surprised that the light came on so quickly. It wasn't more than 2 months ago I said he needed to have his swing adjusted pretty significantly and even send him down for a bit to AAA to iron that out. Glad i was wrong! As fans we're almost always quick to want to pull the plug on a struggling player. Sometimes we get it right and sometimes we don't.

All in all, the reinforced fact is the Pirates know what they're doing 99% of the time. It is so amazing that this franchise is where it is after 2 decades of absolute rubbish and incompetence.

It was a long time coming but i'm proud to be a Bucco fan.

He did have his swing adjusted. Bout 2 months ago...

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't see Cutch as the kind of guy whose only interest is the amount of zeroes at the end of his contract...plus he'll be 32 when he hits free agency.

I'm not saying I'm expecting it, I'm saying it wouldn't surprise me. It takes a personality type to be a lifer these days, and Cutch has that kind of personality. Now if it will be smart for the Pirates or not is a completely different question....breaking the bank for a 32 year-old center fielder may not be our wisest move when it comes down to it...that said, I still think Cutch will be a ~.315 hitter with solid all fields power into his mid-30s, he just won't have the speed and will have to move to a corner.

This... If he is willing to take a 30% discount at less years you may be right.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
There isn't another team in the majors that have the talent and depth from top of the organization to the bottom in the OF than the Pirates. It's great to see.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Happ with a 3-0 lead and throwing tons of strikes. Even if he is only good for 3 more starts and falls off a cliff at the end of September, this will certainly be the most voodoo esque Searage story.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Caught a break on that throw, but that's another encouraging sign from Happ. He definitely is the type who you want to see clean innings from, and assume once guys get on base, they will come around. He pitched well to three solid hitters and only allowed 1-run. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but solid work from a backend guy.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This doesn't look good. Has blown easy win written all over it. Hopefully Happ can get another ground ball - Kang misplayed that and then threw it to nowhere.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This is the third or fourth less-than-ideal situation of the game. None have burned us yet... a Melancon blown save in a game he probably shouldn't even enter would be tough to swallow.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Well, that works - taking care of business with another series win. Sweep would be nice, especially if we need it to keep pace with the Cards.

I knew Mercer was tall and Harrison was short, but damn.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Was listening on the radio as I drove home. Parked the car when it was a one-run game with a runner on 1st with no outs. Got up to my apartment and the game was over. Almost disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad