OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Polanco likes to fish

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Something else entirely for the stats-people...
Anywhere one can find a stat that tracks hits to runs? It seems to me that every time I glance at a St.Louis Cardinals box-score, they are at an obscenely efficient rate.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Something else entirely for the stats-people...
Anywhere one can find a stat that tracks hits to runs? It seems to me that every time I glance at a St.Louis Cardinals box-score, they are at an obscenely efficient rate.

They are obscenely lucky, maybe one of the 2 luckiest teams in MLB history. The other being the 2013 Cardinals.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
They are obscenely lucky, maybe one of the 2 luckiest teams in MLB history. The other being the 2013 Cardinals.

I am not an expert, and I don't have the numbers to say if my impression meets reality, but if it does I think it more likely that they're doing something right rather than being merely lucky.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I am not an expert, and I don't have the numbers to say if my impression meets reality, but if it does I think it more likely that they're doing something right rather than being merely lucky.

Their luck in 13 was due to an incredibly high batting average with RISP. They have been completely average in that regard the two seasons since. This year, it's an amazingly low opposing average with RISP.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I never gave up on Polanco but I will admit that I'm surprised that the light came on so quickly. It wasn't more than 2 months ago I said he needed to have his swing adjusted pretty significantly and even send him down for a bit to AAA to iron that out. Glad i was wrong! As fans we're almost always quick to want to pull the plug on a struggling player. Sometimes we get it right and sometimes we don't.

All in all, the reinforced fact is the Pirates know what they're doing 99% of the time. It is so amazing that this franchise is where it is after 2 decades of absolute rubbish and incompetence.

It was a long time coming but i'm proud to be a Bucco fan.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I've never had coffee in my life other than a quick sip to get a taste some 10 years ago or more. Polonco is making me want some! #ElCoffee

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I've never had coffee in my life other than a quick sip to get a taste some 10 years ago or more. Polonco is making me want some! #ElCoffee

:laugh:

I don't drink it either and like you have had only one sip my entire life but hey I might drink some during the stretch run to the playoffs! ;)

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
IMO Marte is going to be the best overall player in that outfield, but polonco will be the best pure hitter. All three of those guys are true centerfielders. There is no way we can keep all three long term and that is a shame. For the nest few years we should have the best outfield in baseball...

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I don't know if I'd expect Marte to improve that much more, he's already 26. Which isn't old obviously, but tends to be the beginning of the prime.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
NH and Hurdle need to change up the rotation since they have the off day on Monday.

Right now Cole is scheduled to pitch against Milwaukee and Cincy.

If you move up Cole he can pitch against Milwaukee and St. Louis, Cincy has owned Cole this year, it makes a lot of sense to move him up a day.

They should also try to pitch Charlie in Cincy, it seems like hes pitched some very good games in Cincy.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I thought Marte was going to be the best as well as far back as 3 years ago. But the one thing that Marte doesn't have like a McCutchen is plate discipline. AM, if he keeps up his torrid pace will likely have another top 3 MVP finish in the NL this year. His consistent ability to dominate at the plate (at least after April 30th) is as good or better than anyone in baseball right now. Defensively he's not as good as Marte and he's kept from running much (although he could easily be a 20-30 SB guy) but he's just a smarter overall player.

Polanco easily has the most raw physical talent. How many 6'5'' 230+ lbs players can run like he does? Has an elite arm and his positioning and decisions defensively are improving markedly. Still needs some work on the bases but is a 30 SB guy in a good year. And obviously the hitting seems to be coming around at a lightning pace. He could very well end up having the highest ceiling although i don't know if he'll peak as Cutch has in terms of award voting. He's only 24 so he's nowhere near his prime yet.

Certainly exciting times!

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Meadows should be able to help ease the pain of losing one of them

Meadows and Ramirez are the two top names but i wouldn't rule out Willy Garcia. Josh Bell also has the ability to play in the OF as well although they're grooming him for a 1B role at this point and for good reason.

It really sucks regarding Cole Tucker. That kid was and should still go places. He was more than holding his own as an 18/19 year old in full season ball this year in WV. That's not easy to do. Most guys his age are tinkering around in Rookie ball or short season. Now he's out until at least next July or so with a shoulder problem and those are always scary regardless of whether you're a pitcher or not. Still so young and hopefully he does't have any long term problems with the labrum. I really think he has AS ability and will stick at short easily long term if healthy.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
How about us absolutely fleecing Baltimore for Travis Snider.

Consider we got both Steven Brault and Stephen Tarpley for Snider. Brault and Tarpley have both emerged as legitimate ML starting prospects this year and Snider did nothing in Bmore and is now back with us in AAA. So basically we got 2 solid prospects for absolutely nothing.

#Huntingtonrobbery

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This is why you don't draft for position. Having Meadows in the system is huge, even if he never plays a game for the Pirates (ideally he does work his way into our future plans and allows us to trade one of Polanco or Marte down the road for a king's ransom).

We should have our three outfielders for their primes, though. Marte is effectively signed through 2021, meaning he'll hit free agency at the age of 33 if the Pirates use those options. Polanco should be signable, but even then he's not free agency eligible until 2021 as well.

McCutchen could well be a lifer.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Meadows and Ramirez are the two top names but i wouldn't rule out Willy Garcia. Josh Bell also has the ability to play in the OF as well although they're grooming him for a 1B role at this point and for good reason.

It really sucks regarding Cole Tucker. That kid was and should still go places. He was more than holding his own as an 18/19 year old in full season ball this year in WV. That's not easy to do. Most guys his age are tinkering around in Rookie ball or short season. Now he's out until at least next July or so with a shoulder problem and those are always scary regardless of whether you're a pitcher or not. Still so young and hopefully he does't have any long term problems with the labrum. I really think he has AS ability and will stick at short easily long term if healthy.

Right there with you 87 on all your points. Tucker is maybe the brightest and most self-aware young athlete I have encountered. Those kind of people often succeed.

Willy Garcia has a very high ceiling. Strike zone discipline is the only thing holding him back IMO.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
If Cutch is a lifer here I'll eat my circa 2008 giveaway hat sponsored by Chevy. He could pretty much ask for whatever he wants when he's a free agent. And the Pirates won't give him that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad