OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Polanco likes to fish

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
The lineup tonight is drop dead sexy (could use some Harrison over Mercer, but I think they're not 100% on his thumb yet) ...

CNhNYt8UEAA3AOR.jpg:large

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
What have you seen that doesn't impress you about Jamison?

I've never been impressed by his fastball when i've seen it live or on TV. It doesn't seem like it gets much movement (much flatter plane). His curveball is not as good as Glasnow's and it was his 2nd best pitch. Command was probably on par or slightly better than Glasnow at the same stage but his stuff simply wasn't/isn't. He doesn't miss near as many bats and quite frankly he wasn't THAT good between AA-AAA in 2013. Certainly didn't pitch like a top 10-20 prospect as he was being billed going into the year.

Now we're talking like 2 years ago as he hasn't pitched this year or last due to injuries. That has to be factored in as well. Missing that much time is going to set you back, i don't care who you are. He'll need time to work his way back into pitching shape.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I've never been impressed by his fastball when i've seen it live or on TV. It doesn't seem like it gets much movement (much flatter plane). His curveball is not as good as Glasnow's and it was his 2nd best pitch. Command was probably on par or slightly better than Glasnow at the same stage but his stuff simply wasn't/isn't. He doesn't miss near as many bats and quite frankly he wasn't THAT good between AA-AAA in 2013. Certainly didn't pitch like a top 10-20 prospect as he was being billed going into the year.

Now we're talking like 2 years ago as he hasn't pitched this year or last due to injuries. That has to be factored in as well. Missing that much time is going to set you back, i don't care who you are. He'll need time to work his way back into pitching shape.

Thanks for the report. I rarely get an opportunity to see a lot of these prospects live. All I have to go on his YouTube and any articles written.

And I know it's hard to judge Tallion right now with every report on him basically being 1 1/2 to 2 years old. Just have to hope Tommy John is a good thing for him like it has been to so many pitchers lately and the hernia surgery was just a hiccup on the way.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
No problem sir. I live in south central PA so i'm set well for AA ball between Altoona (Pirates), Harrisburg (Nats) and Reading (Phils). Plus the local stations have games from time to time on the weekends.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Article about Lariano
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-pirates-pitcher-who-succeeds-184606885.html

In the last 10 years, since baseball started tracking the strike zone through its PITCHf/x system, only one time has a pitcher thrown fewer baseballs in the zone than Liriano’s 36.8 percent this year: Liriano last season, at 35 percent. That’s exactly what it sounds like: nearly two out of every three pitches Liriano throws would be a ball were it not for the lure of his sinker, slider and changeup, the finest three-ingredient combo since peanut butter, jelly and bread.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I have an uneasy feeling about this series. Rockies offense is pretty good. Their pitching sucks though, so that's good.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Taillon is going to need a full winter (think Arizona fall league) and some spring to get back to where he needs to be. I've never been THAT impressed with him and he's another guy i've seen pitch live multiple times. I hate bringing him up because i was a loud supporter of us taking an ARod talent in Machado over a power HS arm, but i'll digress.......He simply never dominated or separated himself from the pack in terms of prospects. He's still young enough that he has big upside but i'd be much more apt to place him as a #3 type moving forward. Nothing wrong with that especially if Glasnow pans out because we wouldn't need JT as anything more than a 3.

Based on talent for 2016 i'd be rolling this to start the season. (Taillon hasn't pitched in almost 2 years. He needs some reps this fall and spring before calling him up).

Cole
Liriano
Glasnow
Morton (Taillon by June)
FA signing (guy like Happ)

Apparently you missed his huge progress this spring. As part of his rehab process, the Bucs finally got him to fix his issues with his drop and drive delivery that prevented him from keeping the ball down and getting some plane. No more flat fastballs up in the zone for Taillon.

He was crushing it in his rehab starts before the hernia came up, and finally had the look of a top of the rotation starter. He still has a very high ceiling, and looks much more likely to reach it now they finally fixed his mechanics.

Last edited:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I have an uneasy feeling about this series. Rockies offense is pretty good. Their pitching sucks though, so that's good.

Their offense isn't as good as it would seem and their pitching is likely better than it would seem. The Rockies are always at the bottom of the league in era and the top in hitting because of Coors. Their offense won't play well in PNC.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Apparently you missed his huge progress this spring. As part of his rehab process, the Bucs finally got him to fix his issues with his drop and drive delivery that prevented him from keeping the ball down and getting some plane. No more flat fastballs up in the zone for Taillon.

He was crushing it in his rehab starts before the hernia came up, and finally had the look of a top of the rotation starter. He still has a very high ceiling, and looks much more likely to reach it now they finally fixed his mechanics.

To be fair rehab starts and instructional sessions don't excite me much. Until i see it in games and him dominate as a #2 overall pick should, i'll reserve my lower judgement. There will always be a small part of me that hates the pick simply because Machado is doing what I (many other baseball people as well) thought he'd do early in his career and that career has spanned multiple seasons already.

I want the guy to exceed my expectations but I've never seen it with any consistency to this point. He's flashed top of the rotation stuff but rarely ever strung it together at any point in his minor league career to this point.

Now i don't claim to have special knowledge and haven't seen him but a handful of times, live and on TV but i'm willing to bet that is more than most/anyone here. Just trying to pass on what i've seen with my own eyes, compared to say a Gerrit Cole and Tyler Glasnow.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
To be fair rehab starts and instructional sessions don't excite me much. Until i see it in games and him dominate as a #2 overall pick should, i'll reserve my lower judgement. There will always be a small part of me that hates the pick simply because Machado is doing what I (many other baseball people as well) thought he'd do early in his career and that career has spanned multiple seasons already.

I want the guy to exceed my expectations but I've never seen it with any consistency to this point. He's flashed top of the rotation stuff but rarely ever strung it together at any point in his minor league career to this point.

Now i don't claim to have special knowledge and haven't seen him but a handful of times, live and on TV but i'm willing to bet that is more than most/anyone here. Just trying to pass on what i've seen with my own eyes, compared to say a Gerrit Cole and Tyler Glasnow.

Fair nough.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hopefully Cervelli can stick a fork in this rookie. He has fairly good stuff but is extended this inning and getting up towards his pitch limit. Would be nice to give Liriano a big lead to work with, even though he looks settled in.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
How many guys get a double on a ball that reaches a corner outfielder that quickly?

Polanco
Gordon
Hamilton
Trout

That's about it.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Come on man tied in a game against the worst record in baseball.

Even bad teams win over 40% of their games. You do realize the Rockies aren't a little league team, right? They are professionals doing the best they can to beat the Pirates.

No win is assured.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Cargo hammered that one. Another bad changeup by Frankie.

Neverette: "these Rockies are a good hitting team."

On the road- 14th in the nl in ba, 15th in obp, 9th in slugging and 14th in ops

Root Sports commentary talking out of their ***** as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad