OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Not looking great. Offense looks predictably bad against a mediocre pitcher while Skenes is probably going 5, and to get any kind of length will need to rely on the fastball more, which could lead to hard contact and a couple run lead for the Brewers.

I expect a loss here and a series loss vs the White Sox.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
OK skenes will probably be fine again but lots of pitches means he won’t last long and Civale is blanking these clowns. This is another L.

Reactions: metalan2

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Shocker. 0 run support for Skenes. Never would have though with this lineup.

OK skenes will probably be fine again but lots of pitches means he won’t last long and Civale is blanking these clowns. This is another L.
100%.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Very impressive there to take a situation where almost everyone is going out after 5 and not only pitching 6, but easily pitching 6 in a way where starting the 7th isn't necessarily off the table (I'd call it here though).

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Need more because Skenes ain’t going the distance and the bullpen will need it.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The funny thing here is that I think it is better to probably just bank the 93 pitches from Skenes and call it a day, but I'm not sure that's the right call, even if he does give up a run here in the 7th.

Any team with a shutdown ace is going to be tempted to use him in this situation. Basically the highest leverage spot of the game and you have your best pitcher ready to go.

I was about to say that the longer inning was a deciding factor, and that this was confirmed by him starting 2-0, but then he gets a ground out and a fly out before I can even finish the sentence lol. Maybe he'll pitch the 8th.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Damn, looks like he's done.

1720728037711.png

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm more conservative with this stuff, but I think you pull him now. If he had 10 less pitches, then maybe let him try for it, but he's almost definitely going to need 125 or so if there is any kind of lengthy at bat.

IMO it's too risky both for the player's health and also for the chances of winning a game.

Also, it's a foregone conclusion that he'll throw a no hitter in his career at some point.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Skenes no hit ball in 7, Pirates muster 1 run for him against a tomato can.

There are no more adjectives to describe this ownership and management group.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm more conservative with this stuff, but I think you pull him now. If he had 10 less pitches, then maybe let him try for it, but he's almost definitely going to need 125 or so if there is any kind of lengthy at bat.

IMO it's too risky both for the player's health and also for the chances of winning a game.

Also, it's a foregone conclusion that he'll throw a no hitter in his career at some point.
This is certainly the logical play but it's still disappointing because I think he could easily go another 25 or so pitches. Was inducing a lot of weak ground balls with the slider the last few innings. He's gone 120+ pitches multiple times at LSU.

One run game and our closer is hurt, if this blows up in our faces it will be super frustrating.

Reactions: Factorial

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Holderman over Mlodzinski is a bad choice. Bottom of the order and he immediately puts the game in jeopardy.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
No chance Orioles give up Holliday for anyone less than an A lister.

Holderman with the self inflicted nail biting hold.

Reactions: td_ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad