GDT: R1G6 | Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders | April 28th | 7:00 PM | F/2-1 OTL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
I can't blame Barzal for taking a shot at Lambert, he's not a good fit for this team. Time to grab Laviolette.

The team struggled (plenty of times) to make textbook passes during this series. That wasn't an issue under Trotz.

The team is not perfect, but they're much better than barely squeaking into the playoffs.

If I'm LL, I fire Lambert tomorrow and offer Lavy the job within the hour.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I can't blame Barzal for taking a shot at Lambert, he's not a good fit for this team. Time to grab Laviolette.

The team struggled (plenty of times) to make textbook passes during this series. That wasn't an issue under Trotz.

The team is not perfect, but they're much better than barely squeaking into the playoffs.

Lou being allowed to fire and hire another coach would be the last straw for me

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008
Nobody should be blaming him. Some of the goals weren't great but he's not the reason the series is over and neither are the officials. They let them play tonight.
It's like they used all of their referee mana on some really weak calls in the first and were rationing the rest of the game.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
I almost think the way they played that 3rd period might get Lambert fired if he was not gonna be fired anyway

If that comes from this loss, then I will at least have something to be happy about. The Turk is a Mental Midget

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town

Is there ever going to be coach good enough for Barzal.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Just caught up. Wow, that is an absolutely soul crushing goal to give up as a series winning goal in OT

Maybe playing to win as opposed to playing not to lose in the 3rd period would have been the better strategy?
Coaching....
Turk.gif

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Not just the power play. At 5 on 5 too. Tonight Andersen was giving up a ton of rebounds and we couldn’t put any away. We keep waiting for goals that never come.
The inability to finish is astounding. Carolina just keeps throwing pucks at the net while the isles hibernated in the 3rd.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
What a shame man...

Go Devils. I personally wish that this team fixes their issues this offseason, but we are in some hell. Gotta fix those issues up soon.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

I’m not really seeing how he took shot at him, team really sat back but I don’t think this was the plan from coaching staff.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not really that surprised at the outcome. Silly decision to turtle in the third, and silly decision to not play the first three games like the 5 periods we played recently. Can't blame the players much, Lambert and his lack of experience shows. He'll learn from this but this aging team can't afford a rookie coach. If LL number one offseason goal is not focusing on perssonel that can make an NHL quality PP, off with his head.

Reactions: gordie43

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I just want to say I think the guys played their hearts out tonight. Emptied their tanks by the end of the 2nd period. Unfortunately, heart is this team’s best attribute. Talent has to win out. They just don’t have enough to compete with a team like the Hurricanes. So it’s an early exit from the playoffs. Time for the owners to clean house and let the next GM rebuild this team.
That's the thing- this team never quite had enough. I've never had a problem with effort going back to Cappy's day but for some reason (cap issues, stadium issues etc.) we just never had enough horses. This year's team in particular was pretty flawed. I don't know where we go from here. This team is getting pretty long in the tooth and I don't think a couple of off season moves are going to change that all that much. It's not like we have a deep prospect pool. At the same time there's enough here to make another playoff run as a low seed. Not really an enviable position!

And if everyone didn't see the importance of a player like Burns on defense, who just tortured the Isles this series, over a statue like Mayfield, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Burns kept pucks in the zone, jumped up when needed, and was noticeable despite being 100 years old.

The Isles have to find someone like that but ideally a few years younger. That would help offset the inevitable Pelech injury every season, takes pressure off of Dobson and be it Aho or Bolduc, help the PP, transition, possession, etc.
God you described Burns perfectly! He just killed us!!

Reactions: MJF

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I did enough analysis for now. I watched MacGruber for the 30th time (okay, maybe the 10th time, actually the 5th, maybe the 4th).

If you appreciate smart parody. I'd also recommend Tropic Thunder. I don't own many films, but the afore., I do.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
They fell off a cliff in the third and never got back up. Such a disappointing end to the season. It's time for clear out now. Management and coaches will have to go and a bunch of players too. Too old, too slow and too ineffective.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
I still can't believe what we watched in the third period. I haven't been anti-Lambert like many others but at the 10-minute mark of the third I was hoping someone would lock him in the bathroom and let Nyiles or Sparky coach the game. That was like watching Atlanta try to sit on 28-3 in the SB against the Pats, only if Atlanta kept punting on first down.

It's mind-boggling that anyone can watch Carolina play and think slow, soft, methodical board play is the best way to fend them off with a lead.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I said on the main board this is the worst playoff series this team has played in the 30 years I've watched. I cannot recall a single series where they played badly or were outplayed in basically every game. Even game 2 its debatable if they were the better team or simply just played their best of the 6 games

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
So now that the Islanders are officially ousted here is what I am thinking = the Stanley Cup Playoffs are not about being able to hang with your opponent ( who BTW was missing 3 of their top 6 guys) but it is about BEATING your opponent and winning games and winning a championship. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda is an excuse and a losers mentality so just go out and win the games, PERIOD ! The coach / Lambert is a bad coach and as much as I usually don't like airing dirty laundry in public = I am glad that Barzal in his post game comments threw Lambert under the bus. In other news anyone who wants to blame Sorokin for his play is crazy, as the guy is literally the reason we got this far and he has gotten little if any support from the entire team, IF the Islanders were able to score some goals and or play some defense and not repeatedly turn the puck over, well then the Islanders would not be going home right now but sadly this team is not very good and they are not coached well. In closing let me say that I see many Ranger fans who are down on Panarin and rightfully so as the guy has been invisible for your team in these playoffs but with that said Bo Horvat the guy we just traded for and the guy who we gave an 8 yr 8.5 million dollar per year contract says " Hey BREAD MAN, hold my beer " and on that note I will see ya next year

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
That doesn't surprise me. He is very immature and it shows with how the refs treat him on the ice.

If he doesn't get his sh!t together, I would happily trade him to the Jets for Kyle Connor (or a similar player) if the other team is long on wings and short on centers.

Dobson also needs to get serious about hockey and get stronger. I think a four-year-old girl could knock Dobson off his pins.

For all of the complaints about the age of the team, it was ultimately failure by the younger players that killed them.

Guys like Nelson, Palms, Parise, etc. generally did what was expected of them.

But Beau (and there is a reason his soft arse is gone), Barzal and Dobson need to step up next season.
The Jets would never make that trade straight up

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
No doubt the isles have heart. Thank you fellas. We can appreciate you emptying the tank. Time to retool and keep key guys. Thankfully it's not my job. Always will bleed orange white and blue. Sorry Lane but you had your chance. That strategy in the 3rd was ridiculous. Or the canes are that good. I can't tell. LGI. See you guys in June. Maybe somehow we get our first rounder back.

Reactions: SI and MJF

Chokabloc

Nov 25, 2021
NJ
That's the thing- this team never quite had enough. I've never had a problem with effort going back to Cappy's day but for some reason (cap issues, stadium issues etc.) we just never had enough horses. This year's team in particular was pretty flawed. I don't know where we go from here. This team is getting pretty long in the tooth and I don't think a couple of off season moves are going to change that all that much. It's not like we have a deep prospect pool. At the same time there's enough here to make another playoff run as a low seed. Not really an enviable position!

Burns is a perennial all star and has been so in this league for some time. We may have watched a different game. With few exceptions this series, the D pretty much did their job . Take away the fluke OT goal from Stastny and I'll spot Carolina a goal per game anytime. Also stats don't lie. I invite you to compare the stat lines for all 6 D. Check out shots on goal, BS, TOI, TA and GA, and the PK over the entire series and tell me who stands out. Go to Corsi on 5v5 play. Same thing Physical play counts for everything during the playoffs. Who checked that box? Everyone had their mistakes, none more significant than Pelech's GA in OT. Pulock had a great series......until last night. 1 shot on goal, a secondary assist, no hits, no BS, transition difficulties . Not sure why you want to compare Apples and Oranges (Mayfield and Burns). They play different roles. I'd compare Pulock and Burns. Should we upgrade on Pulock? Or Pelech? That's $13mm AAV. Dobson gets $4mm and who knows whether he outgrows his "softness" for the next playoff run. Mayfield would get $4mm over 4/5 if they paid him. They won't. Wouldn't "reconstruction" be better aimed at our goal scoring and finishing ability? Bailey, Mayfield, Martin(?), Pageau and maybe a few others will be gone in a couple months. When a team with a Physical identity loses the few players who identify with that it could be a long road back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad